Author Topic: McGuane - 2008 predictions?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
McGuane - 2008 predictions?
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:31:10 AM »
What are your expectations for Lukey this year and what would be a good year for him?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: McGuane - 2008 predictions?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 02:17:52 PM »
16-22 games :thumbsup

And more bulk - on some of those big forwards he looks like a drowned rat ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 06:56:11 PM »
 :thumbsup

I think Luke's got a heap of potential.
Main concerns are lack of weight and poor disposal but he's got plenty of talent in other areas and I think we'll see further improvement next season.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:56:30 PM »
Yep as a third tall Luke needs to work more on his kicking and building up bulk/strength. Hopefully he can take another step up as he did in 2007 and play most if not all 22 matches this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 09:13:25 PM »
unfortunately i think lukey is going to struggle a lot this year unless he improves heaps :P

Offline tigerfan1961

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 09:29:31 PM »
Yep as a third tall Luke needs to work more on his kicking and building up bulk/strength. Hopefully he can take another step up as he did in 2007 and play most if not all 22 matches this year.
Have spoken to Luke a few times recently and he is really happy with training so far. Looks in fantastic shape and seems to have built up a bit. Will ask him about kicking next time I see him.

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 09:37:16 AM »
hopefully he has a good season, i think hes an average player, who in reality should be replaced as the third tall by Will Thursfield. Until Rance or Gourdis come on then I suppose he is safe, but if one of rance or gourdis develops then McGuane will have a problem, if both come on then McGuane could be good trade bait for Brisbane.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »
hopefully he has a good season, i think hes an average player, who in reality should be replaced as the third tall by Will Thursfield. Until Rance or Gourdis come on then I suppose he is safe, but if one of rance or gourdis develops then McGuane will have a problem, if both come on then McGuane could be good trade bait for Brisbane.

same here, on natural talent, he is definitely going to struggle. He MUST improve his kicking, smarts and strength to hold on as an AFL player.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »

If you read Mortons recent interview McGuane maybe competing against Mitch as well!

I would prefer to see Mitch in the forwardline and I hope they are just attempting to improve his forward defensive pressure with the backline training.

I like McGuane but I believe it is his height that may see him eventually lose his recently gained spot rather than his kicking. I think he has the skills and will eventually gain the size required but Thursty, Rance and even possibly Moore have more potential at this stage. Gourdis will be a forward or I will be upset at another squandered opportunity.

McGuane will have a better 2008 than 2007.

Stripes

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 05:37:14 PM »
i like lukey as well its just that i'm afraid his prospects for making it aren't great. Firstly he's not a genuine footballer, more athlete. Secondly his kicking is a major worry and not something easily fixed. Third, Rance and Gourdis coming in puts a lot of pressure on him, esp Rance.

Would like to see him make it and have a chubba like career but not going to hold my breath unfortunately  :P

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 06:32:46 PM »
I too like McGuane. I feel his kicking needs improvement but hey he plays for Richmond and whose doesn't most of the time. Look the way I se it the arrival of Gourdis and Rance adds competition to the spots that are up for grabs and that can only be good for the club overall.
Yes he is more of an athlete but if he can get versatility into his game and play numerous positions he may be able to retain his side in the 22 as I feel he has a good work ethic and an apetite to learn and prosper.

T2

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 10:34:43 PM »
plenty of question marks

lack of size, footskills, footy smarts etc all need work

the thing i like about him though is he is a good mark, very athletic and does good defensive jobs on the hit-up chf types

i hope he does well but i get the feeling he will lose his spot to a much better option in rance

Offline sabartooth

• Big Griff's Official Mentor !
  • Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 10:55:29 PM »
aflinsider website had him at fullback l dont think he will get solid or strong enough for fullback. ln the last game against st.kilda  l rekon moore showed better potential as a defensive player   :shh
2 years into a 35 year plan