Author Topic: Tuesdays with Terry 19/8 - Big win brings self-belief  (Read 1301 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tuesdays with Terry 19/8 - Big win brings self-belief
« on: August 19, 2008, 03:10:36 PM »
Big win brings self-belief: Terry
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
 2:52 PM Tue 19 August, 2008

RICHMOND knocking off Hawthorn on the weekend may not have made much difference to either team's finals chances, but it made a huge difference to the self-belief in the Tiger camp.

Eleventh-placed Richmond was relentless all day, refusing to buckle to the second-placed Hawks, and produced a four-quarter effort for their best win of the season.

Tigers coach Terry Wallace said it was a significant win on a multitude of levels.

"Pretty important – I think from a self-belief point of view it's important for our guys to know that they can compete with sides that have been right up there for the entire year," he said.

"I think also from a direction point of view, as much as I can sit here and say I believe in our younger group of players and that I think we're very even in a group of players coming through, for them to actually see that themselves ...

"Even guys who are playing at Coburg at the moment – a young Alex Rance who goes to that game, he sort of says: 'Well, I'm not breaking into the side at the moment, but when I do break into the side it might be not a bad side to be a part of'.

"So I think all those sorts of things probably help us sell the message to ourselves that we've been trying to portray right along the way."

The Tigers come up against a wildly-fluctuating Fremantle side this weekend, and Wallace said the side could be further strengthened with the return of a couple of very important cogs.

Nathan Brown and Nathan Foley both missed the match, but are still possibilities for Saturday afternoon's clash.

"They're both still in calculations. Nathan's (Foley) probably done a little bit more today in our skills session, from a running point of view, than Browny did. Browny was still stationary today, but it's only early in the week.

"We'll give both those boys an opportunity to come up later in the week.

"I'd sort of say that Nathan Foley's ahead of Nathan Brown at the minute, but we'll give both the opportunity later in the week."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=65838

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Terry Wallace wary of Freo (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 03:50:58 PM »
Terry Wallace wary of Freo
Katherine Firkin | August 19, 2008 02:23pm

RICHMOND may be coming off their best win of the season, but Terry Wallace isn't getting cocky. On Sunday, the Tigers accounted for second-placed Hawthorn by 29 points, leaving them as hot favourites to beat  Fremantle this weekend.

The Tigers must win the next two games if they are to have any chance at the finals and Wallace said that Fremantle could come out firing.

“When you’re in the situation where you’re lower down the ladder … you’ve almost got that nothing-to-lose attitude and approach about yourself and can go out and play with a bit of freedom. You don’t sort of tighten up because there’s nothing to tighten up for,” Wallace said today.

Richmond is likely to be without two of their key players, with onballer Nathan Foley and forward Nathan Brown both still struggling with injury.

“They’re both still in calculations. Nathan (Foley) did a little bit more today in our skill session from a running point of view than what Browny did,” Wallace said.

“(Brown) has had probably two or three ongoing problems over a period of about three weeks. One is a leg from a knock one is a hip from a knock, both of them were collision injuries. So he’s had a couple of things that have been niggling away.”

Wallace attributed the victory over the Hawks to players sticking to their game plan and said it had raised his side's self belief.

“I thought our guys were really quite switched on in their roles, defensively I thought our backs were really sound. They were prepared to come off their men and assist at times and we quite regularly saw two on ones, three on one scenarios happening where backmen went to Franklin and were able to do the job. Those who played on Roughy were really quite solid on him as well,” Wallace said.

“Four-quarter wise that was the thing that we were more pleased about, that from start to finish we sort of got the job done the way we wanted to.”

While Wallace was full of praise for his side he was reluctant to comment on the Hawks’ strategies, and said he was surprised by suggestions he’d criticised their focus on Buddy.

“I was really surprised I must say when I picked up the papers and saw I’d taken aim at them, I didn’t think it was that at all,” Wallace said.

“All we sort of said was realistically when you get into a game of footy and he’s been in that good form and he starts that well then human nature is that you’re going to go to him. I really didn’t think that was taking aim at anyone, I just thought that was the reality of the game.”

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24206467-19742,00.html

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tuesdays with Terry 19/8 - Big win brings self-belief
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »
From SEN:

Wallace also said something should be done about the priority pick because it puts coaches in situations they shouldn't be in and which is facing Worsfold now.

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:00:08 PM »
so is beyond blue sponsoring us next year

we will be the bi-polar tigers

which team will front this week, the up team, or the down team

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:04:23 PM »

That is not funny.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 07:25:30 PM »

That is not funny.

Agreed - mental illness is NOT FUNNY >:(
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:06:45 PM »
You can see the emerging self belief of our defenders each and every week. They said in the paper on the weekend that they aspire to be like the Geelong defence, that is an excellent and achievable goal, probably only one hard nut (plus another year or two of gelling) away from that.
I'm tending to think that Tambling is the missing link there...he is improving on a HBF.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 09:17:49 PM »

That is not funny.

Agreed - mental illness is NOT FUNNY >:(

OK, maybe not that joke, but it should be understood that good quality humour can play a role in helping to understand illnesses such as this. I was more offended at the predictable nature of that joke, rather than it's content!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 09:49:20 PM »
We had about half the side 21 or under on Sunday. We're still thin in the middle 23-27 y.o bracket which means we're a few years still off waiting for the young core to mature and hit their peak together as they come through, but the good sign is more and more cubs are standing up as regulars in our best 22 now minus the occasional backward step (Crows game).

33: Richo
30: Bowden, Simmonds, Johnson
------------------------------------
26: Newman, Tuck
25: McMahon
24: Moore
23: Cartledge, Schulz
---------------------------------------
22: Jackson, Polo, Thursfield
21: Deledio, McGuane, Morton, Tambling, White
19: Connors, Edwards, Riewoldt
18: Cotchin
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace hails Tigers' breakthrough win (Australian)
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 02:46:43 AM »
Wallace hails Tigers' breakthrough win
Stephen Rielly | The Australian | August 20, 2008

IT remains unlikely, which is not to say impossible, that Richmond's unexpected victory over Hawthorn on Sunday will enable the Tigers to squeak into eighth position on the ladder and reach September for the first time in seven years.

Even if the Tigers defeat Fremantle at the MCG on Saturday and complete the regular season eight days later with a win over Melbourne, the club's final destination is still likely to be ninth -- Richmond's natural home as the position is known.

But Sunday's surprisingly assured performance against the Hawks will still amount to more than a breakthrough victory over a top-eight side even if it does not sneak the Tigers into September through the tradesman's entrance, according to coach Terry Wallace.

Wallace is well aware of the oft-heard and delusional Richmond cry which, after yet another narrow finals miss, goes something like, "we're the best team outside of the eight".

The Tigers have finished ninth five times in the past 14 seasons, most recently two years ago, and yet Wallace was prepared to attach particular significance yesterday to the win.

For a start, the patient and intelligent use of the ball that allowed the side to control much of the match spoke, Wallace said, of an emerging maturity.

"Clearly there has been almost a demarcation line with us during the year where, against the sides below us, we've done OK and against the sides above us we haven't done so well," Wallace said.

"We drew with the Bulldogs when they were in their best form. That was a pretty reasonable effort, on that particular occasion, but I think four-quarter-wise that was what we were more pleased about.

"From start to finish we got the job done the way we wanted to. We put a plan in place and the blokes stuck absolutely, 100 per cent with that."

But if this was heartening for a coach who knows that a shake-up within his football department is under way and only a week ago conceded he would be out of a job this time next year if finals were not certain, there was also a message in the result.

Richmond is a notoriously volatile football club, always willing to turn on itself and resort to blood-letting in difficult times. If self-belief, or a lack thereof, is the source of this, then Wallace believes that beating Hawthorn may restore some faith.

Perhaps he is hoping so, more than anything else. He is the 11th man to have coached Richmond in the past quarter of a century.

But Wallace described taking down the team placed second on the ladder only a fortnight before the finals as "really important".

"From a self-belief point of view, it's important for our guys to know that they can compete with sides that have been right up there for the entire year. I think that's really important," he said.

"From a direction point of view, too, as much as I can sit here and say I believe in our younger group of players and I think we're very even in the group of players coming through, for them to actually see it themselves.

"Even guys who are playing at Coburg at the moment -- a young Alex Rance goes to that game and says, 'well, I'm not breaking into the side at the moment but when I do break into the side it might be not a bad side to be a part of'.

"All those sort of things probably help us sell the message to ourselves."

Forward Nathan Brown is unlikely to return to the line-up for the match against Fremantle as he continues to recover from what Wallace describes as a combination of leg and hip injuries.

Brown did little at training yesterday and would appear to be in doubt for the following week as well. Midfielder Nathan Foley, who was a late withdrawal from the match against Hawthorn, was the better chance of the two to return, Wallace said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24209406-5012432,00.html