Author Topic: Richo medal our fairytale (Herald-Sun)  (Read 638 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo medal our fairytale (Herald-Sun)
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:50:38 AM »
Richo medal our fairytale
Jon Anderson and Mark Robertson | August 19, 2008

Jon Anderson and Mark Robertson discuss Round 20 at the bar.

JA: Now, I have a dream.

MR: Let's go Marty Luther.

JA: It's not quite finished but I will give you a quick glimpse. It goes Round 20, Richmond v Hawthorn, one vote J. Bowden, two votes S. Tuck, three votes M. Richardson and then there is bedlam.

MR: Richo was pretty good, I don't know if he was the best.

JA: I don't care, I just want him to win a Brownlow because it would be the most popular victory since Kevin Murray in 1969.

MR: He is the caped crusader.

JA: He is what football is all about, hard contests, gut-busting running, total sportsmanship, and just to humanise him, even the odd stuff-up.

MR: And the tantrums, the dummy spits, the swearing, the frustrations, the arm waving, the rustled hair and, I have to admit, the better kicking for goal in recent weeks. What would Richmond supporters have done without him?

JA: Have you interviewed him?

MR: At the Great Northern Hotel in Carlton, about five years ago, and among other things, I asked him if he wanted to captain Richmond. From his heart he said yes, it appeared on the back page and I think Richo wasn't happy that a personal dream was splashed about in public and there was negative feedback. That said, I would've loved to have seen him captain.

JA: And one thing with Matthew Richardson, he wouldn't hold a grudge, because it's not in his nature.

MR: No disrespect to Kane Johnson, but I would've liked to have seen Richo captain the club after Wayne Campbell.

JA: I think he captains through his deeds anyway, such as his last quarter dive on the members' wing on Sunday, when the Hawks were mounting a comeback.

MR: It was fun to watch Richo and young Richo play on Sunday and I reckon old Richo knows exactly how young Richo is feeling when it comes to criticism for not kicking goals.

JA: Clearly Buddy and Richo were never taught when they were dominating under-10s and 11s.

MR: Were you taught at that age? I wasn't and I can't remember anyone I know being taught.

JA: No, I wasn't. But I have a 10-year-old son who plays with a very good footballer, yet the boy can't kick properly and nobody does anything about it.

MR: Often kids are left to their own devices and it's generally dear ol' dad who tries to work out the mechanics.

MR: Anyway, we've got six weeks to play and give me some help? Brownlow trifecta?

JA: Ablett, Boomer and Richo.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24203594-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richo medal our fairytale (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 02:52:05 AM »
The Herald-Sun also compares Buddy to Richo's goalkicking...

But AFL football can't shake its traditional laissez-faire approach to goalkicking practice. One of Matthew Richardson's early coaches once told me that the Richmond full-forward's inconsistent kicking could be traced back to his days as a dominant kid in Tasmanian junior ranks.

He was so good that no one saw the need to correct the flaws in his technique. Perhaps it was the same for Franklin, a teenage star at home in Western Australia. But for all the consternation his unreliable boot has prompted, he's had the perfect response - 94 goals, and more to come.

As he said: "I've got my natural kicking style, there's no point changing it, is there?"

No point at all.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24202571-19742,00.html