Author Topic: Promising pre-season ends with embarrassment: Browny (Age)  (Read 1590 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Promising pre-season ends with embarrassment: Browny (Age)
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:03:23 AM »
Promising pre-season ends with embarrassment
Nathan Brown | March 29, 2009

EVERY now and again, I look at my face in the mirror and don't like what I see. There are any number of minor misdemeanours in my life that I can hide from, but on Thursday night, after we lost to Carlton, there was no place to hide — and nor should there be.

I'll put my hand up as a senior player to say, "I let down the Richmond Football Club", and, as a playing group, we let down the Richmond Football Club.

After a summer that has delivered a lot of hype and confidence, we failed on the big stage. In front of 87,000 people and probably a million more watching on television, we embarrassed ourselves.

The easy (and safe) thing to do would be to bury your head in the sand, not talk to anyone, pull the blinds, turn off the phone and lock yourself away, but that's not going to get us anywhere and problems need to be addressed.

As players, we get pats on the back, well wishes and praise heaped on us every day, so on the way home from the game, I made a choice to listen to talkback radio to hear and feel what the Richmond fans and the football world were thinking. It wasn't pretty. These are passionate people who pay their membership and come and watch us play every week and I, as a senior player, have let them down.

You sit there after the game and wonder how it all went wrong. You look at pictures on the clubroom walls of Royce Hart, Kevin Bartlett and Roger Dean and can't help but think they'd be embarrassed too, that you've let them down also.

I had eight of my family down for the game and you feel embarrassed in front of them, that you have let them down.

I'll tell you one thing though — my dog was still pumped to see me when I got home.

After such a loss, pressure comes on the coaching staff, in particular Terry Wallace. But the coaches can't go out on the ground and do it for us. They can set the game up, give you the best possible build-up to perform at your optimum level, but at the end of the day the players need to take full responsibility.

I woke up on Friday morning and I felt sick in the stomach and then remembered the nightmare that was the night before and the fact that my first article was due in The Sunday Age this week. We had game review on Friday morning and it was brutal — things you didn't want to see or hear but things that had to be said and done.

You don't just forget a performance like that and call it an aberration and look to next week; we need to use it as motivation.

I know it was my worst game in a yellow and black jumper. I turned the ball over a number of times, and not doing that is the strength area of my game. And I went right out of the game after half-time when the team needed leaders.

There are 21 games to go and I'm still as confident with the direction and ability of the team as I was two weeks ago when we beat the Brisbane Lions on the Gold Coast.

The positive thing to look at is that was not the Richmond Football Club that has trained hard all summer, the Richmond Football Club that was ranked second in hard-ball gets in 2008 and prides itself on its hardness around the contest, and the Richmond Football Club that won more clearance battles than it lost last year.

Carlton's first five goals came directly from our mistakes and a flow-on effect started, which had us all making schoolboy errors all night. Carlton ended up kicking 15 goals from our turnovers, which is inexcusable, but it's also fixable.

We need to control the controllable, crack in hard to win first use, which our midfield prides itself on, and use the ball when it's in our possession. All in all, a horrible night to be a part of for all Richmond people.

The younger guys in the team will look to the senior players for direction and will feed off the mood and attitude that we display. We have to stand tall, take what's coming to us — and it's coming thick, fast and it's deserved — and keep moving forward.

There is no bigger challenge in football than playing the Cats at Kardinia Park. With guns on every line, Geelong is a wonderful team that executes a game plan with precision.

You need to be able to ride the highs when the good times roll and make the most of them, but football is not all roses and chocolates and there are times when you are going to be tested as a playing group and right now we have a huge test to see how we respond.

We need to stand collectively, look this challenge in the eye and meet it head-on.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/embarrassment/2009/03/28/1237657211220.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Ramps

Re: Promising pre-season ends with embarrassment: Browny (Age)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »
We need action and deeds, not words, nevertheless its good to know that the players copped a verbal hiding on friday. It was just disgraceful.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 10:54:01 AM »
All the players should have been made to listen to talk-back radio and hear what the Richmond supporters had to say.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 01:37:26 PM »
I know it was my worst game in a yellow and black jumper. I turned the ball over a number of times, and not doing that is the strength area of my game. And I went right out of the game after half-time when the team needed leaders.

He is not wrong there, he had an absolute shocker.

The thing I cant fathom is how did just about all our senior players play so poorly on the night.

Was it the expectation of just turning up and playing finals in 2009, the hype of Cuz, the coach, the players or all of the above.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 02:04:06 PM »
browny another gold digger to play for the RFC.

left for money and only plays for himself and the coin, not for the RFC.

Another fool and love child of Wallace, i cant wait to see the back of
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:09:53 PM »

More positive stuff from you Daniel..... :banghead
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 03:43:14 PM »
I am sick of Nathan Brown.
Blah blah blah blah.
Next week he'll rack up 30 possessions through midfield running around behind a ruckman who takes a mark or someone who dishes out a handball and kick 3 cheap goals and everything is honky dory.

He is a selfish footballer and is become the new Bowden in terms of team selfishness.
Players like Browny have ripped the soul of the club apart and as bad as this sounds his leg injury was at a time whwn he will have a played most likely his best and most profitable season at the club so there's something quite forlorn in that too.

If Browny wants me to take notice of him how about some hard ball gets on Saturday somewhere between 6-12 will do nicely.

A couple of overhead marks under pressure and a couple of chest marks also.
Just to add to that some second and third efforts will really complement the above two,
and for the cherry on top how about doing it for the 20 weeks after that you football mercenary.

If not then he can make those old grannies happy who watch the footy show by showing them what a polite boy he is.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 04:05:55 PM »

More positive stuff from you Daniel..... :banghead

ill be positive when the team deserves it. THEY DONT DESRVE IT AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

What do you want me to say??

This year i bought 2 memberships because i was so excited about our club and to see that was the biggest kick in the guts ive ever experienced. Doesn't even come close to the cats game.

Not one person i know who doesn't go for the tigers, gave me grief, and most are Blues supporters because of 1 reason.

THE FOOTBALL WORLD FEELS PITY FOR OUR FOOTBALL CLUB, so excuse me if im not full of positive comments since Thursday
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 05:06:09 PM »

Funny I thought he was recruited under Spuds tenure... was already there when Wallace arrived... anyway moving on

I'll tell you one thing though — my dog was still pumped to see me when I got home.

Arghhh Browny I know what you mean ... got home Thursday felt like crap and the 2 four legged kids were waiting for me, smiles, wagging tails and plenty of smooches from the pooches..... worth a million bucks they are  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 11:02:18 PM »

100% agree with you 'daniel161'.

I think Brown has passed it! lost it! and him on $400,000 is way too much.

Brown is a small forward! not a tall forward who leads up to take marks!

why do we play him like a tall???

kick the ball long in the 50, one-on-one with him and let him do his work!

he is lazy too! doesn't chase!!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 11:22:51 PM »
If Browny was really game he could have logged on here  ;D.

Interesting that Browny started the game in the middle IIRC and played behind the ball a lot of the night. After last year when he had plenty of shots on goal I would've thought we'd give him more a forward role again. Morton did well deep close to goal but we had no other reliable forward option. Then again it would be only moving the deckchairs on the Titanic stuff the way we were playing.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »
Credit to Browny for putting it out there publicly last week that he played crap and then turning it around personally yesterday. I thought he got us back in the game in the second quarter playing behind the ball. We really need for him to stand up again this week and have a big game against his old side.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 01:13:29 PM »
Yep and hopefully kick 3 or 4 goals as well

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 01:30:17 PM »
I really enjoyed reading this article....Fantastic to hear the players were hurting as much as the supporters after the round one debacle.While disappointed we let a golden opportunity to roll a flat Geelong slip through our fingers atleast the players showed they have a Back Bone.
Unleash the tornado

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »
Credit to Browny for putting it out there publicly last week that he played crap and then turning it around personally yesterday. I thought he got us back in the game in the second quarter playing behind the ball. We really need for him to stand up again this week and have a big game against his old side.

yep, and who cares what the papers say, browny was bog in my book