Author Topic: Freo and the swine flu  (Read 820 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Freo and the swine flu
« on: May 25, 2009, 07:32:03 PM »
I heard on 3aw that the freo team flew back to Perth with passenger who has swine flu! If all 40 freo players and staff who flew with him get sick, do you think we can then win?  ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Freo and the swine flu
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 08:16:20 PM »
Freo Media Statement: CEO Steve Rosich

As a result of reports that a passenger on Qantas flight 481 from Melbourne to Perth on Saturday night had tested positive to the human swine influenza, Fremantle Football Club medical staff today contacted the WA Health Department.

Fremantle chief executive officer Steve Rosich said that the 40 players and staff who were part of the official travelling party on the same flight have been briefed and advised what course of action to take should they show any symptoms.

The members of the travelling party on Qantas flight 481 have been seen by the club’s doctors and none has shown any symptoms.

“We are following the Health Department’s guidelines on this matter,” Rosich said.

“Our initial understanding was that none of the players or staff in the official travelling party was exposed to the passenger and, in accordance with the Health Department’s guidelines, no one in the official travelling party on Qantas flight 481 will be required to be quarantined.”

However, after further investigation by the club it was established that a member of the administrative staff, who was not part of the official travelling party, was sitting in close proximity to the passenger.

“As a result, this staff member is receiving direct advice from the Health Department and our club doctor,” Rosich said.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/77567/default.aspx

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »
Forfeit!!!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:08:34 PM »
Talk about getting an elaborate excuse ready in case we win

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers and Freo untroubled by swine flu (afl)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:24:22 PM »
Tigers and Freo untroubled by swine flu
afl.com.au
By Mic Cullen and Nathan Schmook 4:00 PM Tue 26 May, 2009

RICHMOND and Fremantle players say they don't expect the Western Australian club's swine flu scare to disrupt this weekend's clash between the teams at Subiaco Oval.

Fremantle travelled home after Saturday's loss to North Melbourne on the same flight as WA's first swine flu victim, raising concerns about possible infection.

Initial reports said no Fremantle players or officials were seated near the victim, but subsequent investigations showed an administration official, who was not part of the official touring party, was seated close by.

Fremantle's Dean Solomon, who is set to play his 200th AFL game this weekend, said he never thought football would lead him to a situation like this.

"It's just one of those things – wrong place, wrong time," he said at Fremantle Oval on Tuesday morning.

"But all our guys seem pretty fine.

"We're all pretty good up here.

"Our doctor spoke to us and just said, 'Look, if anyone shows any signs of any flu symptoms, just give us a buzz and come in'.

"I'm pretty sure no-one's called up, which is good for us. Everyone was at training today, so I think we're in the clear."

Solomon said he wasn't too worried when he found out what had happened.
"No, not really. I don't personally know where the guy was sitting. But I guess it hits home a little bit, you think, 'It can get to you no matter where you are.'

"These sorts of things travel worldwide.

"I don't think any of the guys have been scared from it.

"As I said, we're all in the clear.

"Everyone's checked in today and everyone's trained."

Richmond midfielder Brett Deledio said his side certainly didn't have any concerns.

"I don't think we'll be in too much trouble," he said with a laugh.

An AFL spokesman said that Fremantle was keeping them fully briefed on the situation and that the League had considered all options in case the situation worsened.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/77631/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 07:56:55 PM »
Apparently all clubs flying interstate this week(end) have their players wearing face masks. They showed the Saints with them on the news. Not sure if the Tigers had them.