Author Topic: Wollert’s Cotchin is born to lead (Whittlesea Leader)  (Read 543 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wollert’s Cotchin is born to lead (Whittlesea Leader)
« on: April 27, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
Wollert’s Cotchin is born to lead
Whittlesea Leader
27 Apr 10 by Megan Hustwaite

REMEMBRANCE Day 2008 will always be memorable for former-Richmond coach Terry Wallace.

It was the day he realised Trent Cotchin, fresh from his debut AFL season, would captain the club.

“We were sitting at training and it was the 11th of the 11th and Richo (Matthew Richardson) was there and Nathan Brown was there in the gym,” he said.

“The music was pumping. He (Cotchin) turned off the music and made every player do the minute’s silence.

“At age 18, he was strong enough willed to command the attention of the rest of the boys.

“Everyone respected it fabulously, but you don’t know it at that age whether they will or not. But, he is just a leader.

“ I just went, ‘wow’.

“We were up in our meeting room and I happened to be walking down the stairs into the gym when it happened.

“And, I was standing to attention in the middle of the stairs.

“I thought it was a fairly strong showing and a responsible act from a young leader.”

It was something Cotchin, a Northern Knights graduate, didn’t think twice about.

“It was just showing respect for the people who represented our country,” he said.

“I’d done it every year at school and didn’t think there was any need to be any different now I was at the club.

“Everyone has a lot of respect for each other. If there is something you want to say or do, you feel comfortable in doing it.”

Now 20 years old, Cotchin captained the Tigers against Melbourne on April 19, in just his 29th AFL game.

“It’s nice that people have the respect and think I can handle leading the club out for a game, it was just disappointing we lost,” he said.

“I just prepared like any other game and it didn’t feel different to any other week.

“It came as a surprise but it shows they have a lot of trust in me and that’s very nice to have that support coming from the coaches and players.

“But, I’ve got a lot ahead of me before becoming a top leader.

“All my life I’ve wanted to be a leader at every team I’ve played for. But, at such a young age and with not many games under my belt, I didn’t expect to be captaining Richmond.”

Contracted at Punt Road until the end of 2014, Cotchin is reaping the rewards of a full pre-season campaign.

Injury hindered his preparation in his first two seasons at the club.

“It’s been tough,” he said.

“The rehab and conditioning staff were terrific in monitoring my program, pre-season.

“But, I’m as fit as I’ve ever been and the body feels good at the moment. I’ve got full confidence in my fitness now and looking to have a real impact on games now rather than a minor one.”

http://whittlesea-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/wollert-s-cotchin-is-born-to-lead/