Author Topic: Our new crop of players  (Read 4611 times)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Our new crop of players
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 10:23:23 PM »

I don’t expect that everything’s going to happen all at once and I don’t mean this as an attack, or that we should throw anyone out.  My major concern is that, while things do change, we have all these impressionable types being influenced by those who haven’t had to live up to any great standards in the past (not all through their own fault).  Is that ideal and is there a way around it until new standards are adopted and the younger players find their feet?

Your definetly right about the fact that it's all not going to happen at once and I wouldn't be too concerned about the older guys making a bad impression on the younger guys. If Frawley was still in charge then I would be concerned because he showed us that he really didn't have any direction and he really didn't know what he was doing. The younger guys that have come into the side over the last 2 years would have no doubt been told what is required of them in terms of training, attitude etc by Wallace and Royal. The older guys would also have been given a chat to and I'm sure any out points will be followed up and corrected so that the whole team is on the same page in what's regarded as needed and wanted from them. This will always be a work in progress as there is always something that can be done a little bit better.

I would just like to know how much influence some of the more experienced players have on the younger players, or whether the coaching staff dictates all the terms.  Because I wouldn’t like to think that the younger players could set better and higher standards, yet are being ‘dragged’ down by our old ones.

The younger players wont be dragged down by the older players, Im not saying that there never will be an instance where a senoir player does an action that would be detrimental to the development of a younger player, but if such an instance presented itself then I would expect the coaching staff and other players themselves including the club, to jump down the throat of that situation very quickly. There is also no doubt that the likes of Brown, Bowden, Campbell, Johnson and even Richo would have an influence on some of the younger players, it is only to be expected really. The only problem I see in that group just mentioned would be Richardson and only in the area of his on ground actions and I'm not talking about his dummy spits either, it's his decision making and mindset in a game that is of concern.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2005, 01:59:55 AM »
MT, I can relate Paul Roos’ comments to what I’ve heard the last couple of years from our Club.  I know it’s all different now so hopefully it’s not relevant, and even though I don’t remember exactly what was said, the comments left you thinking that some senior players did know it all and didn’t need much, if any, guidance or whatever.  And that they were the measuring stick for everyone else.  At the time I just felt like doing this :banghead :banghead

No wonder we were stuffed, this point alone is very damaging for a side as it sets up individuation and in a team activity individuation is the straw that will break the camels back, the above is a very bad approach to coaching. All players in any side always need some kind of feedback even if it is to reinforce good actions undertaken in the game.

Talk of senior players running the place has been doing the rounds even before Spud arrived on the scene. Rumours were everywhere about that sort of thing when Geischen was coach. I can't see Wallace putting up with any player, especially a senior player, with a individualistic attitude who thinks he knows it all. With such a high turnover of the list the past 2 years they'll be easily found out. Hopefully as TS said it's all different now.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 01:08:32 PM »
The younger players wont be dragged down by the older players, Im not saying that there never will be an instance where a senoir player does an action that would be detrimental to the development of a younger player, but if such an instance presented itself then I would expect the coaching staff and other players themselves including the club, to jump down the throat of that situation very quickly. There is also no doubt that the likes of Brown, Bowden, Campbell, Johnson and even Richo would have an influence on some of the younger players, it is only to be expected really. The only problem I see in that group just mentioned would be Richardson and only in the area of his on ground actions and I'm not talking about his dummy spits either, it's his decision making and mindset in a game that is of concern.

Actually Rodger, this all started because of Richo’s “dummy spit” the other night, because Tambling wasn’t too far away from it all looking on.  I’m sure it’s not a big deal and he’s (Tambling) not gonna go out next time and do the same thing, but it’s just not a great example for anyone.  Apart from the fact it’s just a plain selfish act in a team situation.

I agree about Richo’s decision making, but I don’t think he’s alone there either.  I’ve just never felt that him playing up the ground is going to work.  If he was in a well drilled team where teammates have a greater understanding of one another then maybe, but as it is at the moment I just don’t see it working.

Some players have all the time in the world to do something with the footy, but once Richo has the footy in his hands he cannot afford to change his mind about what he’s going to do with it.  He’s so unpredictable that he’s become predictable.  And sometimes I don’t even look when he hasn’t got rid of it with his first thought, because I know what’s gonna happen next.  The roar from opposition supporters generally lets you know.

Talk of senior players running the place has been doing the rounds even before Spud arrived on the scene. Rumours were everywhere about that sort of thing when Geischen was coach. I can't see Wallace putting up with any player, especially a senior player, with a individualistic attitude who thinks he knows it all. With such a high turnover of the list the past 2 years they'll be easily found out. Hopefully as TS said it's all different now.

All we can do is hope MT.  I think you’ve mentioned before somewhere, how this sort of thing was an issue more than 10 years ago.  And I think that’s right.  But hopefully we can now see the end of those times.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 04:21:10 PM »
Some players have all the time in the world to do something with the footy, but once Richo has the footy in his hands he cannot afford to change his mind about what he’s going to do with it.  He’s so unpredictable that he’s become predictable.  And sometimes I don’t even look when he hasn’t got rid of it with his first thought, because I know what’s gonna happen next.  The roar from opposition supporters generally lets you know.

Playing the percentages isn't one of Richo's strengths. He often tries to play the game as fast as he thinks and doesn't have with that big frame of his the coordination of a Browny say to pull things off. In the third quarter he grabbed the ball near the boundary line and just needed to centre a quick kick but fluffed the whole thing out of bounds just as he fluffed the kick playing on from 15m out from goal at the other end. You've just got to be smarter than that and know your strengths and limitations. Mind you Richo isn't the only Tiger who fails to play the percentages.

All we can do is hope MT.  I think you’ve mentioned before somewhere, how this sort of thing was an issue more than 10 years ago.  And I think that’s right.  But hopefully we can now see the end of those times.

It was alleged in the media senior players at the time had gone to the Board in the middle of 1999 demanding Geisch's resignation. And IIRC Walls has said publicly before that senior players at Richmond have had too much say. Not a way to run a footy club :P
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 04:29:33 PM »
Dont get me started on Richo on this site aswell !!!

I wouldnt want to upset Julz  ;D
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2005, 01:08:50 PM »
Dont get me started on Richo on this site aswell !!!

I wouldnt want to upset Julz ;D

Probably too late for me PRR. :P  Sorry Julz and others.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.