Author Topic: Tigers finally roar to attention (Age)  (Read 1329 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers finally roar to attention (Age)
« on: May 23, 2012, 05:40:36 AM »
Tigers finally roar to attention
Jon Pierik
23 May, 2012

WHEN Richmond was beaten in its last grand final, 30 years ago against Carlton, the Tigers faithful would have expected success was again around the corner.

Francis Bourke, the vanquished coach on that day, was one. ''I don't think you can blame anyone for thinking that,'' he said yesterday. While that success hasn't eventuated, there is belief the nucleus of talent the Tigers now boast will eventually reap rewards in finals over the next few years.

As he recovers from a hip replacement, Bourke, one of the greats of the game, can see the improvement. ''I don't think there is any question we have improved,'' he said. ''From my own perspective, [I have enjoyed] watching the back line play better than what it has done in the past. I don't think that's being unfairly critical of those who have filled these positions in previous years, but I think it's played better, which has been helped, no doubt, by our onballers.''

Bourke's joy is reinforced in the statistics, with the Tigers conceding 88.7 points a game, well down on last year's 108.9.

The Tigers hope to continue to improve, this time against Hawthorn on Saturday in a contest which pits coaches and best mates Alastair Clarkson and Damien Hardwick against each other.

While progress has been made, defeat would leave the Tigers with just three wins from nine rounds and facing an uphill battle to remain in contention for the finals.

''If we are going to get up there, we have just got to beat these [top] teams,'' Bourke said.

Onballer Nathan Foley understands the importance of Saturday's clash. The Tigers found themselves in the lead with 10 minutes to go against Essendon last Saturday, only to squander their good work.

While it was a spirited revival, engendering confidence, the Tigers were forced to play catch-up after falling behind by 42 points early in the third term, a lapse that has become a common occurrence.

''We've been playing well against the top teams,'' Foley said yesterday. ''We're going into each round with a fair bit of confidence. I think we're a threat against anyone at the moment.''

Foley has been in excellent touch this season, building on a fine 2011 campaign.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/national/national/sport/tigers-finally-roar-to-attention/2565536.aspx