Author Topic: Kangas this week  (Read 1772 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Kangas this week
« on: June 07, 2005, 06:29:18 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how we go against the Roos with David King on board knowing the inside outs of the shinboners.

Massive game this one after 2 losses. The last few years the Kangas have always just snuck across the line against us in close games at this time of the year. So much for a random draw btw ???.

Pay back time :thumbsup
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Kangas this week
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 08:14:19 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how we go against the Roos with David King on board knowing the inside outs of the shinboners.

Massive game this one after 2 losses. The last few years the Kangas have always just snuck across the line against us in close games at this time of the year. So much for a random draw btw ???.

Pay back time :thumbsup

Bit worried about this one - Now I shouldn't but the roos got the wood on us and with particular sides it dont matter how your'e travelling it's that above the shoulders poohe that I keep talking about.
One thing is that Mick's old man cant die again and Jason cant get blown up - Lets just hope Greig Blight or Schimma dont kark it during the week or soemthing along those lines :o

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 05:09:53 PM »
Bit worried about this one - Now I shouldn't but the roos got the wood on us and with particular sides it dont matter how your'e travelling it's that above the shoulders poohe that I keep talking about.
One thing is that Mick's old man cant die again and Jason cant get blown up - Lets just hope Greig Blight or Schimma dont kark it during the week or soemthing along those lines :o

Yeah CUB we've had to face them the last couple of years with the "shinboner spirit" hyped up to max. They're a funny side North. They have an ordinary list and play a shocking brand of footy but they still seem to do better than anyone expects. This year they've been all over the shop. 5 straight wins then 4 straight losses then a win at the Gabba. One week they're up and about then the next they're flat as. Plus Shannon Grant always seems to leave his best game of the  year for us  :-\.

Nervous as well but North aren't a top 4 side so no excuses this week. We should win  :thumbsup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Déjà vu for Tigers
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 10:03:11 PM »
Déjà vu for Tigers
5:39:04 PM Tue 7 June, 2005
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond could be excused for feeling a case of déjà vu this week as it attempts to get its season back on track.

For the fourth successive season the Tigers find themselves meeting their bogy side, the Kangaroos, in the middle of the season at what is again a critical time for the club.

The Tigers have lost their past two games to slide to fifth with a 7-4 win/loss record and with the jury still out on how they will cope without injured playmaker Nathan Brown for the rest of the season despite their heroic first-up two point loss without him to league leaders West Coast last week.

But facing up to the Kangaroos at Telstra Dome at a critical point in their season is nothing new to the Tigers but they will certainly be hoping for a different result this time around after three crushing defeats at this time of year to the Roos at the Dome in the past three years.

Last year the Tigers went into the round 11 clash having lost two successive games with their season in the balance at 4-6 and copped a 74 point hiding.

They would not win another game for the season.

The year before - also in round 11 - the Tigers were similarly placed to this year at 6-4 but the Roos, inspired by Jason McCartney's comeback, won a three-point thriller with the Tigers also losing Darren Gaspar to a serious knee injury as their season disintegrated from that point on.

And the previous season - again in round 11 - the Tigers also came into the game after two straight losses and with their season in the balance at 4-6 but lost by 11 points after kicking a wasteful 11.18 and yet again their season disintegrated from that point.

And while many experts believe the Tigers' Nathan Brown hangover might start to kick in this week, Wallace is far from concerned at having to again face up to the Tigers' hoodoo club at such a critical time in their season.

"They have had the better of this club for a few years," Wallace said of the Kangaroos - who have won 20 of their past 26 matches against Richmond dating back to 1990.

"But that (dominance) is the nature of where this club has been over the last few years."

"We hadn't beaten a lot of sides (before this year) but we have changed a few of those pieces of history so far this year and this is another opportunity.'

While admitting last week's loss in their first match without Brown was a wasted opportunity, Wallace said he would be surprised if his team's performance suddenly dropped off without their sidelined champion this week.

"The way we finished the game off last week with 12 goals in the second half, it was a rallying performance," he said.

"If the halves were flipped and we played well in the first half and then fell away badly in the second it might be different but we were strong at the end of last week's game."

Wallace says he is confident the Tigers - whose rise up the ladder after last year's wooden place finish has been one of the highlights of the season so far - were not in a slump.

"I wouldn’t think the guys should be down on themselves for what their output was last weekend," he said.

"We have lost two games in a row but we have probably played two of the best sides (Melbourne and West Coast) in the competition in the past two weeks.'

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=207861

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Plough ignores 'bogey side' factor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 04:46:50 PM »
Plough ignores 'bogey side' factor
1:15:35 PM Fri 10 June, 2005
Jason Phelan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace isn't placing any extra significance on Sunday's match against the Kangaroos despite the Roos' good record against the Tigers in recent years.

Richmond hasn't beaten the Kangaroos since 2001 but Wallace downplayed the 'bogey side' factor of the match saying it was not something his club needed to confront.

"It's another important game - which game in this competition isn't?" Wallace asked from Punt Road on Friday.

"(With) the nature of the ladder at the moment if you set up games as mini finals or eight-point games you'll be playing in mini finals or eight-point games every week because that's just the nature of the evenness of the competition.

"I don't buy into the other (bogey side) aspect of it at all. We don't have to confront anything. We've got a game to play - two hours of football - and that's what we've got to confront. I don't think that other (aspect) has any bearing on anything whatsoever."

The match looms as an interesting contest with the Roos' form hard to pin down at the moment and the Tigers still coming to terms with the loss of crack forward Nathan Brown.

Wallace was unsure what his players would take away from their gallant two-point defeat at the hands of league-leader West Coast last week.

"There's probably two schools of thought; one that we played really good footy against the top side in the competition and ran them (hard) obviously without Nathan in the side, so from a confidence factor that's one aspect," he said.

"The other school of thought is - 'did the guys get themselves up for a big effort last week (for Brown) and can they back that sort of effort up?' We'll know the answer to that on Sunday afternoon.

"I'm confident in the guys that their heads are right but we'll know more after the game."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=208652

Ox

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 05:16:57 PM »
This the first true test of the season in hihdsight.

We will account for them easily

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 05:35:41 PM »
This the first true test of the season in hihdsight.

Agree Ox.

The Roos are just plain average but very even across the park and they seem to switch on when they come to play us. That's why I'm still nervous although I think we win win. If we get across the line it will be a massive win for us in terms the rest of the season.

Moi

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 06:24:04 PM »
Adam Simpson may miss
Reported on Channel 9

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Adam Simpson in doubt
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 06:26:22 PM »
Simpson's their main ballwinner so that should make it easier for us if he misses.

----------------------------------

Query over Simpson
 4:21:45 PM Fri 10 June, 2005
 Matt Burgan
 Sportal for afl.com.au

Kangaroos skipper Adam Simpson is in doubt for Sunday's clash against Richmond at Telstra Dome, due to a foot injury.

Simpson, who has played every home-and-away match this season, trained on Friday, but coach Dean Laidley said there was a chance the dual premiership player may not line-up against the Tigers.

"(There is a) fair possibility he won't play," Laidley said before training at Arden St on Friday.

"We would probably make a decision on that this afternoon or tomorrow morning depending on how he pulls up."

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 06:58:04 PM »
SEN reported at about 10 to 6 this evening while I was stuck in traffic that Simpson would play after passing a fitness test today.

I'm worried about that big bloke Thompson (ex Hawk) he always plays good against us.

Sometimes we can make the ordinary look so good :rollin :rollin

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 09:17:19 PM »

I think sometimes ends up being lots of times WP ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 06:39:58 AM »
The Roos supporters on BF seem to think Simpson will miss but the news said he'll most likely play if he pulls up ok today. So who knows  ???

I think sometimes ends up being lots of times WP ;)

We were a charity for Ben Graham  :scream

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Late change?
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 07:01:48 PM »
Meyer for Hilton?

Danny didn't play for Coburg today.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Late change?
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 10:24:01 PM »
Meyer for Hilton?

Danny didn't play for Coburg today.

Argh MT - your "finger" may just be on the pulse ;) ;D

:rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)