Author Topic: Cotchin's press conference Dec. 18 / Dusty was never leaving: Cotch  (Read 1095 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Cotchin's press conference Dec. 18 / 'Dusty was never leaving': Cotch
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »
Dusty was never leaving: Cotchin
Nathan Schmook 
afl.com.au
December 18, 2013 7:16 PM

RICHMOND star Dustin Martin never truly considered leaving the Tigers and is now poised to take his game to a new level in 2014, according to captain Trent Cotchin.   

Martin eventually re-signed with Richmond for two years after messy and drawn out negotiations, but not before exploring a handful of options during the 2013 NAB AFL Trade Period.

Cotchin said the 22-year-old had been welcomed back to pre-season at Tigerland with open arms and he was confident the powerful onballer hadn't considered a future elsewhere.   

"I think in his head there was never really a period where he was leaving the footy club," Cotchin said on Wednesday. 

"I know how much he loves the guys and I know how much he's learned from so many different individuals within our club.

"He just wants to make people happy and that's the best thing about him, he will do anything and everything for his teammates.

"He's a very good person, he's very genuine and he cares a lot about where this group is going."

Martin finished runner-up in the 2013 Jack Dyer Medal, underlining his individual improvement, which was eventually overshadowed by his contract negotiations.

Cotchin said he thought Martin had the ability to push on and become one of the Tigers' greats.   

"I certainly do, [but] he's got to play some consistent footy," Cotchin said.

"That's been his issue in the past.

"He had his best year last year, his most consistent, and hopefully that's a stepping-stone for him to take his game to a new level.

"So it's pretty much in his hands to start with. He's really enjoying his footy at the moment."

Martin, who hasn't missed a session this pre-season, has made significant gains with his fitness after a slow start and worked hard during Wednesday's session at the ME Bank Centre.

Key forward Jack Riewoldt and club champion Daniel Jackson were among those on light duties, while Reece Conca (hamstring) and forward Chris Knights (knee) continued to be managed.

Cotchin said the group was being driven this summer by its elimination final loss to Carlton.   

"We had an opportunity that we let slip in the first week of the finals and that's going to sit in our guts all through pre-season, which is only a positive thing," he said.

"Leading up to the game we spoke about opportunities not being there all the time and you've got to make sure you play your best footy on the day.

"That's been our message throughout the pre-season and in our review we spoke about the majority of us not stepping up and playing our role on that day.

"We really want to attack this season full of steam and a lot of our guys are really fit and setting new bars."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-18/dusty-was-never-leaving

dwaino

Re: Cotchin's press conference Dec. 18 / Dusty was never leaving: Cotch
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:37:08 PM »
Never in doubt  8)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 02:34:53 AM »
More from Cotch's interview:

* Last year was a stepping stone. Positive on and off field for the club. Opportunity let slip in the finals. It will sit in our guts all preseason.

* Wedding - love kids as does Brooke but no little Cotches on the way just yet.

* Spoke before the final about opportunities not always being there. Majority of us didn't step up to play our role that day. Fantastic start to the game so we weren't overawed by the occasion. It was little things let us down in the second half. Carlton are a good side when they get their tails up and have the momentum. We didn't stem the tide early enough. In 2012 we lost a lot of close games and learnt from that in 2013. So stemming the tide and regaining the momentum is another stepping stone to learn from.

* Played finals this year so that's the standard. We need to play finals every year. Disappointed if we don't improve. A negative if we don't take steps forward. By no means have we taken a backward step. We want to take the season head on. A lot of our guys are really fit and setting new bars.

* Brought in a mixture of mature and young players. It's good that we are in a position we don't have to bring in a lot of young players and start from scratch.

* No comment about Kingy when asked if the players have sat down with Kingy. It's a club matter to resolve.

* We haven't considered ourselves pretenders. We believe we can match it with any side. It's finding that consistency and that comes down to the maturity and playing 4 quarters of footy. We been criticised for playing good quarters and halves and finishing off games. Believe we've bridged that gap and the challenge is to become the hunted rather than the hunters. Looking forward to 2014 and it should be exciting.

* Great that Dimma has re-signed. Players, staff and fans love him and he's well respected within our four walls and throughout the footy community. He's really set a good standard with our culture and we're in good hands.

* Haven't thought too much about the new no ducking rule.

* Kingy is a generous character especially with our younger players with the amount of time he puts in with them. He'll be the first to admit he's not the most talented footballer in the AFL but he plays his role and that's all you can ask.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 03:12:46 AM »
We need little cotches.

Common Cotch! Lift your game! ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:19:21 AM »
Was certainly the mail I was getting to,  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 06:24:14 PM »
Richmond captain Trent Cotchin excited about 2014 prospects

December 19, 2013 3:37PM

IT'S full steam ahead at Punt Rd as Richmond looks to avenge its crushing elimination final loss to Carlton.

The Tigers let slip a golden opportunity last September, its magnitude not lost on star skipper Trent Cotchin.

"That's going to sit in our guts all through pre-season, which is only a positive thing," Cotchin said yesterday.

"Even in our review, we spoke about the majority of us not really stepping up and playing our role on that day.

"We really want to attack this season full of steam."

Cotchin expects the "really fit" Tigers to run out games better in 2014.

"We've been criticised in the past for playing good halves and not finishing off games, but I think we've really closed that gap.

"It's our challenge now to become the hunted, rather than the hunters."

Meanwhile, Cotchin baulked at suggestions young Tiger Dustin Martin was close to leaving the club.

"I think in his head there was never really a period where he was leaving the footy club," Cotchin said.

"I know how much he loves the guys and I know how much he's learned from so many different individuals within our club.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-captain-trent-cotchin-excited-about-2014-prospects/story-fndv8t7m-1226786751331

1980 I Was There

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 11:15:58 PM »
We need little cotches.

Common Cotch! Lift your game! ;D
Imagine 4 or 5 little Cothies running across the half back line and in the centre in about 20 years time.
UNSTOPPABLE   :gotigers