Author Topic: Let's do the reverse Hirdy in 2015  (Read 326 times)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Let's do the reverse Hirdy in 2015
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:59:39 AM »
Bomber Thompson loves coaching.
And thanks to James Hird, he is a prime candidate to be poached by another club now his love for coaching has been reignited.

I would say the Bombers originally had a great blueprint for coaching but in the wrong order.
So in 2015, I reckon we should approach Bomber to be the senior coach with Dimma his right hand man.

Let's call it the "Reverse Hirdy"

Dimma still has the players but I wonder if he is actually capable of being a premiership coach.
He must be starting to see that himself?

So many clubs sack their senior coach only to see them become successful senior assistants elsewhere.
Why not change that model and keep him at Richmond?
He has the knowledge of the club, the relationship with the players so let's use him at a capacity that suits him and the club.

Imagine how powerful our coaching panel would be with Bomber as senior coach, Dimma as the senior assistant and Choco in charge of development?

People might argue the cost but surely we are getting to the point where we can afford to replicate what some of the these big cashed up clubs can do investing into the best coaching panel?
I would also argue this type of announcement will add 5-10k in members.

Dimma might feel its a demotion but who better to stand down to?

I think Bomber as senior coach, a decent trade and/or free agency along with a good, deep number of draft picks can re establish the club after a very poor 2014 - on and off field.

We are a completely different club to the one he knocked back 14 years ago.

If Dimma wants to see this thing to its conclusion he should consider adapting his role in making it work.
After all, he asks that of his players so why not himself?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Let's do the reverse Hirdy in 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 01:30:23 PM »
Thompson's love of coaching Essendon is the only thing that's been ignited. Will never coach another club - least of all Richmond who he regards with contempt. Like many in the AFL of his era, he thinks we're a joke.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Let's do the reverse Hirdy in 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 03:04:24 PM »
Thompson's love of coaching Essendon is the only thing that's been ignited. Will never coach another club - least of all Richmond who he regards with contempt. Like many in the AFL of his era, he thinks we're a joke.

He did coach the Cats for 10 years and Hirdy is going nowhere so we can rule him out of coaching the Bombers in the near future.
It is all well and good to state others treat us with contempt but there is only one way to break to stigma and that is to do something about it.
Fremantle were a joke a few years ago and now look at how they are performing - they did something bold in getting Ross Lyon to the club and it is now paying off.
I just feel we are a club that now has the resources to do something aggressive off field and now is not the time for being safe.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”