Author Topic: the backline  (Read 6722 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: the backline
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2016, 07:14:44 PM »
I don't rate Conca either but would play him ahead of Houli every day of the week....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »
I don't rate Conca either but would play him ahead of Houli every day of the week....
Conca 2013 was a pretty decent player.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2016, 07:19:27 PM »
Long time ago now, my friend.
Caracella and Balmey.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »
Long time ago now, my friend.
Cotchin hasn't been decent since 2012 according to some....

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2016, 08:31:16 PM »
Morris - Rance - Elton
Yarran - Grimes - Batchelor

I'd like to see something like this tried.

Morris is probably our best small defender though I hate to say it and has a crack. Grimes can play small/med/3rd tall. Want to see Elton play some this year. Batchelor also hate to say it but he's a serviceable mid def, will have a crack and isn't bad by foot/overhead.

Desperately need Yarran off the HBF.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2016, 10:39:56 PM »
Certainly didn't miss Houli down there or, dare I say it,  McIntosh..... :shh

Don't rate him Dio?

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2016, 09:39:46 PM »
Morris - Rance - Elton

Morris is probably our best small defender though I hate to say it and has a crack. Grimes can play small/med/3rd tall. Want to see Elton play some this year. Batchelor also hate to say it but he's a serviceable mid def, will have a crack and isn't bad by foot/overhead.

conca to come back in morris or hunt ...
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 10:30:09 PM »
Certainly didn't miss Houli down there or, dare I say it,  McIntosh..... :shh

Don't rate him Dio?

Actually, considering his limited ability, I've quite liked him for the most part since he's been in the seniors (never rated him in the VFL) and thought he looked good when he first went down back but his last few weeks before he went down with injury were putrid IMO.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2016, 10:54:49 PM »
Morris - Rance - Elton

Why does this idiot even get a mention from you, Stalin?

How many games has he played in the last two seasons?
When has he ever shown anything with any consistence to justify his name even being mentioned
Let alone as an inclusion in an already unstable environment ?
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2016, 10:57:32 PM »
Morris - Rance - Elton

Why does this idiot even get a mention from you, Stalin?

How many games has he played in the last two seasons?
When has he ever shown anything with any consistence to justify his name even being mentioned
Let alone as an inclusion in an already unstable environment ?

cause the question is - not is conca good or bad

but

is conca better or worse than the current option/s

hunt
morris
bachelor
houli
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2016, 12:16:33 AM »
I think the key to a really good backline is to have guys that defend first and foremost. Then they need to be attacking when we have it. All 6 of them. Opposition sides need to have pressure on them the entire time when we have the footy. It makes them have doubts of when to attack and when to defend.
When we have players like Astbury, Batchelor, Hunt, and Ellis in our backline sides know that when they get the footy its 99% of the time going to be a slow play, a kick sideways and backwards.
Some on here think Batchelor is a good defender and I agree he does ok at that but he is next to useless on the way out. Same goes for Astbury, he is to slow to move the footy on and to slow to link up on the rebound. The other two just are not good at either.

We need to find 6 guys that can defend really well but can also put the opposition under pressure when we have it.

We have Rance that is the best KPD in the game and he is not afraid to move the footy when he has it. He makes things happen because he thinks quickly which intern makes the players up the field move and give him an option. Creating run and overlap and easier entries into our forwardline.

We have Grimes, he can play on smalls or talls which is super important but he also tries to move the ball on. He makes some mistakes but his good outweighs his bad by a long shot.

We have McIntosh who seems to be ok at defending on mid to smaller guys but needs to work on playing on bigger guys. But he also is very good at helping move the ball quickly on transition. 

We need one more tall defender that can play the roll like Grimes. A guy that can play on smalls and talls. We need a guy that can change opponents in a split second and can compete with either size forward so we can cover each other when teams create overlap and a loose man.

We also need two smaller defenders that can hold the Eddie Betts types but can run and get involved. It would be a huge advantage if we could use Lids in defense as the 5 defender as he can do just about any roll.

The other guy on our list at present is Conca. If he could get his body right and settle in down back I think he could make a decent smaller defender. He has a good crack, he defends pretty well and he really needs to own a position because he doesn't have many options left. I think he showed in the pre season he could potentially be a good running defender.

And Yarran is the 6th defender.

So it looks something like this

Grimes  Rance  Conca
Lids  McIntosh  Yarran

That is 6 guys that can all defend but just as important, 6 guys that can all contribute when we have the footy.
If we could get Hurley next year, Lids moves back forward, McIntosh goes to HB and Hurley the CHF.

Not to shabby!!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2016, 11:44:20 AM »
What's the deal with Schoenmakers at Hawthorn? Still has 5-7 years of afl left in him and can't get a game.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
I think the key to a really good backline is to not have too many playing back there and the ones that are must be 190cm +!!!

EFA

tony_montana

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 04:04:34 PM »
What's the deal with Schoenmakers at Hawthorn? Still has 5-7 years of afl left in him and can't get a game.

so over rated, he'd spud it up completely in a crap side