Author Topic: Oakley-Nicholls feeling right at home (RFC site)  (Read 1191 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Oakley-Nicholls feeling right at home (RFC site)
« on: February 02, 2006, 03:31:57 PM »
Tiger cub feeling right at home
11:34:20 AM Thu 2 February, 2006
Paul Gough
Exclusive to afl.com.au

Richmond fans need not worry about their top draft pick Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls developing a case of homesickness with the exciting Western Australian revelling in his new surrounds at Punt Road.

The 17-year-old from East Perth was taken at pick eight in last year's draft and is already being hailed as a speed machine, having ranked first in agility and second for speed at last year's NAB AFL Draft Camp.

Those results already have seen the youngster compared to the Tigers' number one draft pick last year in Brett Deledio and Richmond fans will catch their first glimpse of Oakley-Nicholls during next Wednesday's intra-club match at the Tigers' community camp in Ballarat.

While the move to the hustle and bustle of Melbourne is often daunting for young players from interstate, Oakley-Nicholls is revelling in it and is now doing to his utmost to earn himself a senior call-up for the upcoming NAB Cup.

"I would love to get a chance in the pre-season," he said.

"We have been playing a couple of little ten minute games here and there, the pace of it is full on but I have been going okay."

After initially staying with the family of teammate Will Thursfield, Oakley-Nicholls is now settled in his own place with his mother, who arrived from Perth three weeks ago.

"I love it over here," he said of Melbourne.

"I am so glad I got selected by an AFL club in Melbourne, it's full on here (compared to Perth) but I like it here because footy means everything."

Oakley-Nicholls, who played senior football in the WAFL last year as well as representing Western Australia in the under 18 championships, is a half-back flanker who can also play in the midfield.

And just like Deledio last year, he promises to add some pace and flair to the Tigers - admitting he loves to play the way Shaun Burgoyne does for Port Adelaide.

"I like the way Shaun Burgoyne runs off the backline and that's the way I like to play," he said.

"I like to run off every time I get the chance but I don't like to see my opponents get much of the ball either."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=244224

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: Oakley-Nicholls feeling right at home (RFC site)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 12:52:23 AM »
If he can be as good as shaun burgoyne then we would have done well.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 01:08:59 PM »

Many Peter Burgoyne comparisons.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 03:58:32 PM »

Many Peter Burgoyne comparisons.

If he turns out as good as either Shaun or Peter Burgoyne then we'll be laughing.

It seems that he thinks his best footy is as a rebounding/attacking defender who runs through the lines which is more like Shaun.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 04:50:40 PM »

If he turns out as good as either Shaun or Peter Burgoyne then we'll be laughing.

It seems that he thinks his best footy is as a rebounding/attacking defender who runs through the lines which is more like Shaun.

and thats exactly what we need! :thumbsup