Author Topic: Rate a player: Tony Free  (Read 3911 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Rate a player: Tony Free
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 09:16:56 PM »
Don't knock Bruce Lennon  >:( ;) ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 10:04:32 PM »
Don't knock Bruce Lennon  >:( ;) ;D

LOL

Well he was a better kick than the guy on the other HBF lol ;).

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 08:09:51 AM »
Losing Freezer and Lambert in a matter of years really faarrked us over big time.

IMO if we had retained those two guys we would have had a decent shot at winning a flag around 95-97.

Yep. Losing them without receiving anything in return (picks/players), unlike what happened with Hoggy, screwed us big time  :(.

I had a look last night at a 93 side when Lambert, Freezer, Knighter and Cambo all played together in the one midfield. Check out the skill in the backline :lol. No wonder we only won 4 games that year.

R11 1993 vs Fitzroy

B.    Barry Young            John Howat            Brian Leys
HB. Bruce Lennon        Paul Bulluss           Duncan Kellaway
C.    Nathan Bower       Matthew Knights     Nick Daffy
HF.  Tony Free               Brendon Gale         Matthew Richardson
F.     Dale Weightman  Jeff Hogg                 Chris Naish
R.    Robert Schaefer    Wayne Campbell   Craig Lambert
I.  Wayne Hernaman  Ian Herman

our defence may have been poor but paul bullus was a very underrated player. imho he was a fantastic chb, but like many past players played in a poor richmond team.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 02:59:46 PM »
our defence may have been poor but paul bullus was a very underrated player. imho he was a fantastic chb, but like many past players played in a poor richmond team.

Yeah I was a bit harsh on Bulluss. Not the greatest kick but he did play for the SA state of origin side a few times and did fairly well.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 05:54:58 PM »
Freezer was up there with one of my favourite Tigers of all time too Moi.

Losing Freezer :'( not only meant we lost one of our best players in his prime, it really left a huge hole in our midfield which in the following decade we never fixed. We needed his tough no nonsense ballwinning ability and matchday leadership. Add Maxfield going to Sydney and too much of the workload was left to Knights, Cambo who were more classier outside types as well as Brodders.   

Losing Freezer and Lambert in a matter of years really faarrked us over big time.

IMO if we had retained those two guys we would have had a decent shot at winning a flag around 95-97.

We were basically robbed of our only two natural in and under midfielders. Knights and Cambo were more reciever types and it showed up badly whenever we played a big game. They couldn't do the in and under work needed for us in the centre and together with being tagged out of the game it spelled the end of us.  We had no one else that could do the work needed to clear the ball from the centre and we basically got polaxed by teams that had good hard midfields.

On Free, I don't think he would have ended up being a champion if he hadn't got injured but he would have definitely been a great.

Im my view a top 5 player in the last 20 years, together with the likes of Weightman, Campbell, Knights and Richo.

Dont know about a decent shot at the flag, but certainly would have made a big difference to the team. And he would have done a better job of fixing up Libber when Knights got hit than you know who.....

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 04:55:48 PM »
Freezer was up there with one of my favourite Tigers of all time too Moi.

Losing Freezer :'( not only meant we lost one of our best players in his prime, it really left a huge hole in our midfield which in the following decade we never fixed. We needed his tough no nonsense ballwinning ability and matchday leadership. Add Maxfield going to Sydney and too much of the workload was left to Knights, Cambo who were more classier outside types as well as Brodders.   

We were basically robbed of our only two natural in and under midfielders. Knights and Cambo were more reciever types and it showed up badly whenever we played a big game. They couldn't do the in and under work needed for us in the centre and together with being tagged out of the game it spelled the end of us.  We had no one else that could do the work needed to clear the ball from the centre and we basically got polaxed by teams that had good hard midfields.

On Free, I don't think he would have ended up being a champion if he hadn't got injured but he would have definitely been a great.

Im my view a top 5 player in the last 20 years, together with the likes of Weightman, Campbell, Knights and Richo.

Dont know about a decent shot at the flag, but certainly would have made a big difference to the team. And he would have done a better job of fixing up Libber when Knights got hit than you know who.....

:lol