Author Topic: Steven Wright on SEN  (Read 1259 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Steven Wright on SEN
« on: February 10, 2006, 12:05:31 PM »
Steven Wright was on SEN at 10.45 this morning with KB, Balmey and Brian Waldron.

* KB asked him if we are planning on moving to the Dome or stay at the 'G. Wright said we're keen to remain at the 'G but we need to boost our revenues.

* We want to unlock other revenue streams (corporate, reserved seating etc) which we don't have under the current situation with the MCG. At the Dome our revenues are guaranteed and independent of crowd figures.

* We are striving to get a similar deal to Collingwood but them playing in 2 GFs gave them leverage. Waldron chipped in and said what also helped the Pies was the timing of them leaving Vic Park. They had both the 'G and Dome wooing them which they took advantge of.

* At the moment we have a better offer on the table from the MCG compared to last year but we are still negotiating for more.

* As was mentioned in the media, we are in the process of signing up Lids.

* We needed/need to spend a further $500k on the football department. At the moment we have 12 football staff/coaches compared to say Collingwood which have around 23 :o.

* Apparently Sheeds made some cryptic reference along the lines of the bombers tanking last year (I didn't hear it). KB asked Wright about how Tiger supporters would take such a message. Wright just said we've been unsuccessful for a long time but he knows the supporters just want to see continually improvement in the team.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 12:26:01 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers want better deal (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 12:13:28 PM »
Tigers want better deal
 10 February 2006   
Herald Sun
 Jon Pierik

RICHMOND is weighing up how it should split its home games from 2007 as the club seeks to safeguard its future.

The Tigers currently divide their matches, with seven at their traditional home at the MCG and four at Telstra Dome.

Negotiations have begun with the Melbourne Cricket Club on a new five-year deal to stay at the MCG.

The Tigers are interested in playing even more matches there, but want a better deal, such as a greater share of signage rights.

Tigers chief executive Steven Wright confirmed negotiations had begun with the MCC.

"Victorian clubs are at a significant disadvantage to other clubs in terms of stadiums," he said. "It's things like corporate suites you get per game.

"If you are in Brisbane or if you are in Perth you get the whole ground.

"We are a tenant of the MCG but we get a small run there.

"We don't have the signage rights at the MCG like other clubs have interstate.

"That's huge, over a couple of million dollars, revenue just from the stadium.

"We are working closely from the MCC and are having a good hearing.

"Hopefully we can come to a resolution shortly which will be lucrative for the club."

As the AFL decides the fixture, it also has a strong say in where matches are played - a point Wright reinforced.

"The AFL has a plan as well because they allocate where you play," he said. "We have been a MCG tenant for 40 years and we want to remain as a chief tenant of the MCG.

"But at the same time you obviously need to consider the economics as well as the history and tradition.

"Our preference is the MCG but we are working closely with both venues and the AFL to come up with something which works.

"If we can secure a more lucrative deal from the MCG and, if necessary, Telstra Dome, that would also help the club."

Wright said the club had received positive feedback from its supporters about both stadiums.

"I think they prefer the MCG but on a cold winter's day when it's raining and they have got kids, they might prefer Telstra Dome," he said.

"I think traditionally we are a MCG club but Telstra Dome has provided good attendances for us as well."

Telstra Dome and MCC officials did not want to comment yesterday.

The Tigers posted a $40,000 profit last season, a major turnaround on a loss of more than $2 million the season before.

Wright said he was continually looking at ways to improve the club's bottom line but doesn't want this to be reliant on the team making the finals.

"Financially, making the finals helps but the most important thing Richmond people are looking for is improvement and being competitive," he said.

"I am not sitting here and Terry (Wallace) isn't sitting here saying we are going to make the eight. What we want to do is be competitive and continually improving. If you are improving, you should make your way up the ladder."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18100097%255E19771,00.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Steven Wright on SEN
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 01:11:15 PM »
Steven Wright was on SEN at 10.45 this morning with KB, Balmey and Brian Waldron.

* We want to unlock other revenue streams (corporate, reserved seating etc) which we don't have under the current situation with the MCG. At the Dome our revenues are guaranteed and independent of crowd figures.

I've been saying that for yonks

* At the moment we have a better offer on the table from the MCG compared to last year but we are still negotiating for more.

Smart move - there is no need to rush in a sign anything - keep talking and negotiating and once the season starts and we are winning and drawing the crowds the offer will go up  :clapping ;) ;D

* We needed/need to spend a further $500k on the football department. At the moment we have 12 football staff/coaches compared to say Collingwood which have around 23 :o.

And what has it bought the Pies in the last 2 season - NOTHING :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mini Tiger

• Future Richmond star
  • Is that a change on the horizon?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 01:26:22 PM »
Too many fingers, in the um, pies...

:-\    ;D

It doesn't matter how much money you have, it does not relate to on field success, there are too many factors that can contribute to that.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 01:45:43 PM »
if we have to leave the g 4 the dome, so be it, if it means long turn profits and viability at the club. i always loved and preferred the g , but since they became the pies lil biatch, i hope the dome gives us a better offer. much better venue to take the kids along to i might add

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 02:56:20 PM »
I don't hate watching footy at the dome, I just prefer the 'G.

Hopefully with the new stand finished and a competitive year on-field we can remind the MCC which tenant for over 40 years has attracted the big 70k+ crowds.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd