Author Topic: Where are Richmond at really? .... (theRoar)  (Read 1561 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Where are Richmond at really? .... (theRoar)
« on: July 14, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »
Where are Richmond at really?

Sam Macpherson
theRoar.com.au
14 July 2017

Last Saturday night has been written off by commentators and Richmond players alike as a ‘one-off’, an aberration even a bad night at the office.

However, I think if you take a bit more time to delve into this so-called aberration, there is much more to the story unfolding at Richmond.

Richmond are a victim of the combination of their lack of success and their size and market share of supporters in Victoria. Week to week, commentators and fans want so badly for Richmond to be a dominant force in the AFL landscape again that they regularly overlook their pitfalls in both victory and defeat.

As the ladder currently stands, Richmond have only defeated two teams inside the top 8. They over ran an injury-ravaged Melbourne, who led by more than three goals at the final break and they defeated a very capable Port Adelaide side at the Adelaide Oval in Round 15. Perhaps more poignant than these victories are the several close losses Richmond have suffered.

• Round 7 – Western Bulldogs 5 points;
• Round 8 – Fremantle 2 points;
• Round 9 – GWS 3 points; and
• Round 13 – Sydney 9 points.

It is now recognised in the AFL landscape that the Bulldogs are not what they were last year and the Dockers are going through a significant re-building phase. At the time of the loss to the Bulldogs, it was considered an ‘honourable loss’, one of those poor terms used commonly when an underdog goes so close to but falls just short of what would have been a significant win.

Fast forward ten rounds and the Tigers would start as pretty warm favourites going into a game against the Bulldogs. The GWS game was perhaps their finest performance this season, all bar the last ten minutes.

It has to be noted however, GWS were and still are suffering from one of the longest injury lists in the AFL, yet still manage to be sitting second on the AFL ladder with seven rounds to play.

The GWS injury list consists of Brett Delidio, Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper and Ryan Griffen, four would-be walk-up starts into the Giants start 22 and lets not forget a five win 11 loss Collingwood team also pushed the Giants all the way at Spotless.

Finally, the Sydney game, a game Richmond led by as many as 34 points but still managed to lose, conceding 57 points to 23 in the second half.

To last Saturday night’s performance, this was not a one-off, not a bad night at the office and not an aberration. Does anyone remember Round 6? Apart from the first quarter, in which Richmond took a nine point lead into the break, Richmond were blown out of the water by an Adelaide side considered at the time potentially unbeatable, a hypothesis which has since been proven significantly wrong.

From quarter time to the end of the game Richmond were outscored by 94 points. You would be hard pressed to find a half as bad as Richmond’s in Round 6 and a three-quarter performance as bad as Richmond’s in Round 16.

However, both performances are forgiven – Round 6 because at the time a “developing” Richmond team ran into the unbeatable Adelaide, and last weekend’s because it was a bad night at the office. A score of 96 points to ten at half time? That’s not a bad night at the office, that’s horrendous.

Some commentators were suggesting the Tigers could go all the way in the lead up to the Saints game, highlighting another example of this media thirst for Richmond to be a contender again. The Tigers are where many other teams find themselves this year, and that is, middle of the rung.

They play some very good football, and they play evidently some very poor football, but I for one am not buying that last weekend was a one-off contrary to Damien Hardwick and Jack Riewoldt’s comments. Last weekend, was a by-product of being a young and developing football side, not a side that is in any way ready to contend.

Richmond lacks an elite midfield depth, a second key forward target and relies too heavily on its leaders Martin, Rance and Cotchin to push deep into September. With a relatively soft draw heading into the finals, Richmond will make the eight but I don’t think they will make much noise. They are after all, middle of the rung.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/07/14/where-are-richmond-at-really/

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Where are Richmond at really? .... (theRoar)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 07:29:27 PM »
We aren't young and developing though. Our core is in its prime or over.  Sure Rioli and a few are kids but our backline is as good as they are going to get for most of them

I think the story is during the worst period in history to rebuild a list we've managed to build a medium ranked list.
What I want is 3 or 4 good players a year from now for 3 or 4 years by going to the draft. But hey that's long term thinking.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »
Ninth
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 08:15:00 PM »
Swinburne Centre, Punt Road Oval, Yarra Park
Richmond, Victoria, 3121
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 08:16:14 PM »
Hardwick's mantra for 2017 is "We WILL make finals, make no mistake"

Translated - all I'm aiming for is getting there"

What a champion mindset after 8 years at the helm.  :gotigers
Caracella and Balmey.

tony_montana

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:43:05 PM »
What's a pass mark for this season?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 08:57:37 PM »
Swinburne Centre, Punt Road Oval, Yarra Park
Richmond, Victoria, 3121

:lol  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »
What's a pass mark for this season?
Premiership.
Like it should be every year.
Hardwick isn't the answer but I think you already know that. 

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 10:23:01 PM »
I agree with the article.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »
How freakin slow and behind are these blokes in the media.

Win /Loss for us us and most sides is not the be all end all. We all know there are and have been far more important kpis that determine where you are at.
When those kpis are one day met i for one will jump on board not before.

Where are we at anywhere between 7th and 14th and if the comp continues to even out and we dont address key issues that will probably blow out even further.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
Maybe all Richmond needs is another player that the Carlsum cheats are contemplating delisting at seasons end. Maybe we can give them another second round pick as a nice trade off.  :lol
If that doesn't work we could try the old trusty Port Adelaide well again.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 01:09:01 PM »
We aren't young and developing though. Our core is in its prime or over.  Sure Rioli and a few are kids but our backline is as good as they are going to get for most of them

I think the story is during the worst period in history to rebuild a list we've managed to build a medium ranked list.
What I want is 3 or 4 good players a year from now for 3 or 4 years by going to the draft. But hey that's long term thinking.

I tend to disagree with that belief. The point being that all the top picks were hoarded by the new teams. Which means effectively the other 16 teams , regardless of where they finished, were hurt by this system. It means that really, only the plastic clubs got any discernible advantage. Gold Coast have (perhaps) squandered theirs, GWS look the goods but are yet to prove much so far.

My take is that actually it wasn't this horrible disadvantage that keeps being touted. Look at what Hawthorn did with mediocre picks during the late 00's & early 2010's (albeit with a developed core group). Yes, we missed a few jets that may have gone 2 or 3 and have ended up in the GWS/Gold Coast systems, but every other club also missed out on jets as well. Our subpar performances and finishes in finals is almost purely a mental issue imo. Carlton '13.....

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »

I tend to disagree with that belief. The point being that all the top picks were hoarded by the new teams. Which means effectively the other 16 teams , regardless of where they finished, were hurt by this system. It means that really, only the plastic clubs got any discernible advantage. Gold Coast have (perhaps) squandered theirs, GWS look the goods but are yet to prove much so far.

My take is that actually it wasn't this horrible disadvantage that keeps being touted. Look at what Hawthorn did with mediocre picks during the late 00's & early 2010's (albeit with a developed core group). Yes, we missed a few jets that may have gone 2 or 3 and have ended up in the GWS/Gold Coast systems, but every other club also missed out on jets as well. Our subpar performances and finishes in finals is almost purely a mental issue imo. Carlton '13.....

I appreciate your points dougy. To add to the worst period theme.
1. All the draftees now have to come through the feeding competitions or be international. This was tightened up from past eras.
2. The free agency period only opened up in 2012 but it has tended to benefit successful clubs. This could be argued as a two edged sword but I think it's been mostly one way traffic.

I agree we have been hit and miss at recruiting in this period and others like hawthorn much better but they stuffed up too with at least one  first rounder comes to mind.