Author Topic: Neil Balme on SEN - an ‘unconventional preview’ of the Tigers' 3-peat pursuit  (Read 1005 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Balmey was on SEN this morning with Garry Lyon and Tim Watson:

Listen here: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=799883

------------------------------------------------------------

RICHMOND'S MOST EXCITING RECRUIT, BEST-AND-FAIREST BOLTER AND THE PLAYER SET FOR A BREAKOUT YEAR

SEN
10 March 2021

Richmond senior club advisor Neil Balme has delivered an ‘Unconventional Preview’ of the Tigers’ pursuit of a three-peat.

Balme has served in the role since 2017 after stints with Collingwood and Geelong, and is renowned for his relaxed demeanour working with players and coaches.

The Tigers last year overcame turbulent off-field circumstances to claim a third premiership in four seasons.

Which player will surprise everyone with a top five best-and-fairest finish?

Balme: “I’ve always had a lot of time for what Noah Balta can do. Whilst he has been playing pretty well, I think he can get even better.

“I’m really excited about what’s possible for him. We’ve turned him into a key defender, there’s nothing wrong with that, he does it very well but he’s almost got the capacity to play anywhere else.”

Which new Tiger excites you most?

Balme: “There’s a young boy whose father played here who looks very, very exciting, it’s a matter of when young Maurice Rioli Jr gets a shot.

“He did a couple of things in a practice game the other day that showed he’s got a lot of ability.

“Obviously, being young and coming from where he did he’s probably got to do a fair bit of work to get himself super fit like the other guys, but he’s very exciting.

“And so is ‘Biggsy’ (Bigoa) Nyuon. Did you see Aliir Aliir the other night? Biggsy looks a little bit like him - really athletic, sees the ball well, runs beautifully, nice size."

Which player is set for a breakout year in 2021?

Balme: “I’d like to see Riley Collier-Dawkins get an opportunity to show what he’s got as well.

“He’s got all the ability and all the markings of being a good player, so I’m hoping he can get some chances.”

Which four players would you invite to a dinner party?

Balme: “None of them would come! I get on well with all of them, I’m not actually sure of how they all behave socially because I haven’t seen them much for 12 months.

“I don’t think it matters which four… they’re a great bunch of kids to work with, they’ve all got a story to tell.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/03/09/richmonds-most-exciting-recruit-best-and-fairest-bolter-and-the-player-set/