Author Topic: Why are the Tigers in decline? (theRoar)  (Read 1551 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why are the Tigers in decline? (theRoar)
« on: July 01, 2021, 04:15:57 AM »
Why are the Tigers in decline?

Chris_S
theRoar.com.au
1 July 2021

Alot is being written about the Tigers and the end of an era. But is it really true?

Certainly, they are not the irresistible force they used to be but are they about to fall off a cliff or is this just a reset?

When you look at the Tigers players, most of the seasoned players are still playing well with no noticeable decline. Younger players are just starting their best years. Senior players may have slipped a bit but still earn their spot in the team.

Maybe it is just a hunger thing. Maybe three premierships make the players just that one per cent less desperate. Even their supporters probably don’t feel the losses quite so much now after four unbelievable years.

Is it reasonable to expect the players to maintain that 100 per cent focus and effort during the regular season? We are told by the experts that even a one per cent drop in today’s game seems to make a big difference.

Maybe if they make the finals will they regain that total commitment and get three in a row?

It will be unlikely that the Tigers will succeed this year but for a reason that has not been written about. That reason is the change in assistant coaches.

The assistant coaches that helped Damien Hardwick get this side from a mid-ranked team to the top have now all gone. Ben Rutten left a couple of years ago and Justin Leppitsch and Craig McRae moved on last year.

These were the people who came in after the Richmond review. These are the people who, from the outside at least, drove and enabled the development and changes in 2017. Not just the players, but the coach as well.

Ben Rutten has shown how good he is at Essendon. Alastair Clarkson grabbed McRae for Hawthorn and Leppitsch must surely be a serious contender for the next coaching vacancy. That’s a huge amount of smarts that has left the club. You can’t just replace these guys with like-for-like replacements overnight.

Replacing these three exceptional assistant coaches could not have had worse timing, just when Richmond must find a way to replace five ageing champions.

These ageing champions have earned the right to be first choice in team selection unless a young player is playing too well to be ignored. However, the young Tigers players coming through are just not quite at a level that they demand their turn.

If they don’t get their turn then they may fall away and be lost to the club. This is where Craig McRae in particular appears to be sorely missed.

Not only did these assistant coaches bring footy smarts, they were also senior enough to be on an equal footing with Damien Hardwick. Leppitsch had senior coach experience and Rutten was targeted from Geelong. Clearly Hardwick trusted them.

The current assistants may be very good and hopefully for Richmond they will fill the void but it is a big void to fill especially with reduced soft salary caps.

We know that Richmond still have a good playing group and we know they have a good senior coach. What we are seeing at Richmond is the true value of very good assistant coaches.

Whether this is the end of an era will depend on how good the current batch of assistant coaches can become.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/06/30/why-are-the-tigers-in-decline/

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Why are the Tigers in decline? (theRoar)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 11:13:15 AM »
No mention of Caracella, he was a huge loss too.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 11:54:01 AM »

Chris_S
theRoar.com.au
1 July 2021

Maybe it is just a hunger thing. Maybe three premierships make the players just that one per cent less desperate. Even their supporters probably don’t feel the losses quite so much now after four unbelievable years.

I don't know about you guys but the last two losses have hit me hard. Really peeed off about the way we lost. So I am actually feeling the losses more now.

Before 2017 I when we were crap a loss didn't affect as much as it was the norm.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 12:23:06 PM »
#dynastygapyear #thegreatreset #buildbackbetter :shh
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 05:19:56 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 01:36:46 PM »

Chris_S
theRoar.com.au
1 July 2021

I don't know about you guys but the last two losses have hit me hard. Really peeed off about the way we lost. So I am actually feeling the losses more now.

Before 2017 I when we were crap a loss didn't affect as much as it was the norm.

Agreed mate. Up until 2017 I went to most games with the loser mentality.

Since then I have gotten so used the winning I just expect it when I go to the home games.and finals. Losing games this year has really sucked, hurt and left me furious. I haven't yelled and banged my first on things like this for a long time.

The losses to Port and WCE in particular make me sick. Giving away the lead at the last gasp. Winning those two would have us at 9-5 and in the hunt.

We've really lost the killer instinct and compusure.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 02:07:37 PM »
Like it or not and whether players accept it or not there is no denying that complacency is a real factor.

Being at the top of the heap and then being the hunted takes a hell of alot of physical and mental strength, don't care what anyone says but eventually it's just fact that output levels drop by just a few percentage points and thats the difference between winning and losing.

Of course if you have your absolute best players on the park week in week out then the drop off can be absorbed to a point but of course we have had the injury curse to boot.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 02:12:03 PM »
Haven't you heard lozza? We are always kissed on the you-know-what with injury circumstances.

As well as umpiring, fixturing, AFL bias and luck in general.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 07:04:02 PM »
LOL im the opposite to some here never thought we could win in 2017 and ended up winning three sheesh.

Losing just doesn't matter any more take it or leave it.

People are asking what is wrong. well we all know we were never the most skilled side but the systems we had were the key to success. The systems have been pulled apart and a heap of rule changes have hurt but to me the real issue is the skilled better players are getting on and are in slow decline it is time to start saying thank you to these blokes and planning for the next lot to come thru in 5 years time or so.
It's probably also time to come up with a new system that manages to stymie the rest of the comp while we are at it.