Author Topic: Cats Dynasty Rebound lessons 07-11 vs 2022  (Read 710 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Cats Dynasty Rebound lessons 07-11 vs 2022
« on: September 24, 2022, 09:00:40 PM »
Cats win 3 flags in 5 seasons 07, 09, 11. With some serious talent, Brownlow medalists etc.

From 2011 when Scott took over they were able to stay at the top and whilst bottle a few finals series eventually win again in 2022. As much as I hate typing that.

My question is what lessons can we learn from this period of time that Geelong did correctly and failed.

Only 2 premiership players from this era won again in 2022. If we relate that to our list we that would be the equivalent of Balta and Bolton winning our next flag as only remaining members in 2031.

Geelong were somewhat robbed of losing Ablett to GC weakening their chances of winning more with him there.

Are there any lessons at all that we can take away from what Geelong did or didn't do well to capatilise on their successful foundation of 07-11?

Personally am not interested in taking and being irrelevant for 2-3 seasons to stockpile draft picks and get talent through that way. Take GC and GWS, and even Carlton as examples of clubs who have done nothing after a war chest of draft picks.

Makes me even more convinced that Tarranto and Hopper trades are the way to go. Similar to Cats trades of say Dangerfield and say a Touhy.
Go Tigers!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cats Dynasty Rebound lessons 07-11 vs 2022
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 09:24:23 AM »
Have no issue with selecting either but regarding hopper is there is anyone else that can do the same job we are missing?

Would love to find a lipinski type to go with Taranto this draft, and make a big play for greene next year.

Either way I don’t think we can lose, but we need to start finding some diamonds in the rough like we have in the past with broad, short grimes etc
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Broadsword

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 10:56:30 AM »
Like the thread but just want to add the point of view that the playing list is merely the foreground; the background is the assistant coaching staff, the fitness staff, and the broader culture of the club. So long as we keep those strong I think we can go the draft route without fear of disappearing once more into irrelevance.

I also think Geelong have had a leg up with changes in on-field rules that put a serious asterisk next to their premiership. Hocking managed to change the rules for his beloved so their kick-mark possession game became a winning formula rather than something that fell apart under serious finals pressure. Sure, we have to deal with the new reality, but that Geelong premiership team will always be an anomaly because such an old team was able to win a premiership playing fairly non-physical footy. It wouldn't have happened 2-3 years ago--and didn't.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 12:49:13 PM »
did they Broad? Im not one to defend those pricks, but they seem to play a lot like us in our premiership years with the sling shot footy and run at all costs. I avoided watching them a lot but the game plan seemed different,

The pressure they applied on the games i saw them play was again a lot like us.  :shh

It also helps when they were kissed on the dick by flogs like Hocking.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Broadsword

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 04:29:50 PM »
did they Broad? Im not one to defend those pricks, but they seem to play a lot like us in our premiership years with the sling shot footy and run at all costs. I avoided watching them a lot but the game plan seemed different,

The pressure they applied on the games i saw them play was again a lot like us.  :shh

It also helps when they were kissed on the dick by flogs like Hocking.
Interesting take. I guess it's hard to tell given Sydney and Brisbane put up such soft performances against them. The pressure was almost non-existent. I still see a lot more control of the footy by foot from them, which is a hell of a lot easier given the stand rule and the general non-contact way the game has gone. Still, you saw them live so might well have been different at the ground.