Author Topic: Richmond is going the way of the Blackberry phone as hard times loom (SEN)  (Read 962 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
RICHMOND IS GOING THE WAY OF THE BLACKBERRY PHONE AS HARD TIMES LOOM

Kane Cornes
SEN
2 May 2023

Remember the BlackBerry?

It was the smart phone used by business professionals and government employees who loved the secure messaging and email capabilities.

I had one, I loved it. They were sensational phones, particularly for effectively typing an email on the innovative keypad.

At its peak, in 2011, BlackBerry had a global smartphone market share of around 20 per cent. 20 per cent! For perspective, the iPhone's market share today is 24 per cent.

However, BlackBerry's market share began to decline rapidly with the rise of the iPhone, which offered more advanced features and better user experiences. Put simply, the iPhone was cooler. BlackBerry was slow to adapt to the changing market and to compete with the newer devices.

By 2016, BlackBerry's global smartphone market share had fallen to less than 1 per cent.

Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper thought they were buying the BlackBerry in 2011 when they actually purchased one in 2016.

There are apparent similarities between BlackBerry and Richmond.

Both dominant forces that looked indestructible.

But the opposition copied their strengths while adapting and innovating to improve it, getting quicker, less clunky and cooler, and beating them at their own game.

Both BlackBerry and Richmond were slow to adapt and ignored the opposition. They made poor business decisions, and before they knew it, they were wiped out.

Taranto and Hopper were sold the dream. Come to Richmond, play in big games on the MCG in front of big crowds and win premierships – just as Prestia, Lynch and Nankervis had done before them.

That was sound in theory; however, in reality, they are playing for a team that kicked six goals against a bottom six opposition in front of 23 thousand fans at Marvel Stadium on Sunday.

They are closer to winning the wooden spoon than another flag.

Taranto and Hopper were sold a pup.

Quickly, questions have arisen over the future of the vital leadership figures at Richmond.

Significant change is imminent.

BlackBerry never recovered.

With Tasmania coming in and years and years of compromised drafts to come, and the club coughing up an exorbitant bounty for Hopper and Taranto, it is difficult to see Richmond recovering in under a decade.

It pays to adapt, be ahead of the curve, keep an eye on the competition, and make sound business decisions.

Who is closer to a premiership, Richmond or GWS?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/02/richmond-is-going-the-way-of-the-blackberry-phone-as-hard-times-loom/

Broadsword

Personally, I don't think we should be giving this guy airtime on the forum, not least because, judging by that effort, he's a very one-dimensional journalist.

I consider said 'journalist' to have zero credibility because his opinions are motivated by modern clickbait metrics rather than considered thought and analysis. I avoid all his articles on principle in the wider football ecosystem; it's a shame he gets in here rent-free when he's so very undeserving and hates our club. 

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Agree - delete the post and never post anything from this prick again. He is a troll amd should be treated as such

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
a decade. what a stuffin idiot. The more i see his posts the more im starting to see the value in selecting both of those gws players not just one.

should we take a poll mods?

I would be in the yes camp to never see his posts ever again.

That makes 3 so far.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Kane's always good for a morning laugh while I'm enjoying my corn flakes (no pun intended  ;D)

What's that saying?

Haters gonna hate?

We could be sitting inside the top 8 one game off top of the ladder and he'd still write this article  :sleep

:wallywink

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
He has a point. We have reached the end of the mighty list we had and have to build a new improved list

He is wrong in using iPhone as the comparison...we need to go android

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
Kane's always good for a morning laugh while I'm enjoying my corn flakes (no pun intended  ;D)

What's that saying?

Haters gonna hate?

We could be sitting inside the top 8 one game off top of the ladder and he'd still write this article  :sleep

:wallywink

You're the type of supporter he is targeting with his trolling.  The only way to get rid of him is to put him on ignore.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

You're the type of supporter he is targeting with his trolling.  The only way to get rid of him is to put him on ignore.

Disagree

he can say what he likes, write what he likes.

If the article wasn't on here I wouldn't have read it. I read it and I laughed; that's all it is good for

I no longer watch Footy Classified because of him; his venom knows no bounds.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
If the Tigers are the Blackberry of the AFL, Cornehole is the TikTok of commentators.... talentless stuffwit, full of hot air, seeking attention with no substance

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
I love how he speaks as though he’s an experienced gm of football or something. I mean you gotta give it to him, he antagonises and creates headlines and we are his target right now but seriously… if anyone thought his opinions were really beneficial to a football club then he would be working at one

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

Disagree

he can say what he likes, write what he likes.

If the article wasn't on here I wouldn't have read it. I read it and I laughed; that's all it is good for

I no longer watch Footy Classified because of him; his venom knows no bounds.

so the point of posting it is? Surely there isnt any point.

if you want a laugh then watch footy classified, what is the difference.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Broadsword

if anyone thought his opinions were really beneficial to a football club then he would be working at one
Nailed it.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
He is just a shock jock, wheels out his vitriol because he get off on the reactive pain from supporters as all narcissists do, negative player and person, it would be my preference if we didn’t see his crap

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Problem with Kane is that he has all the comebacks. We can bring up the three flags, the 2020 prelim win over Port, but he can point to Hinkleys achievements and rub our faces in it.

I see he has just said that Taranto wouldn't be in the top 150 players in the AFL at the moment.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do