Author Topic: Mottram gives Tigers a tanning (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1422 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mottram gives Tigers a tanning (Herald-Sun)
« on: December 22, 2006, 03:28:01 AM »

Mottram gives Tigers a tanning
22 December 2006   
Herald-Sun
Michael Stevens

RICHMOND'S Cam Howat tried to kick with running maestro Craig Mottram around The Tan yesterday.

However the 21-year-old, who played five games this season after being promoted off the rookie list, lasted about 200m before succumbing to the relentless pressure.

Howat, however, was still the best of the Tigers around the 3.8km Botanical Gardens circuit.

Mottram, who has been working out in the club's gym, gave the players about two minutes start and ran a sizzling 10min 8sec to beat them comprehensively.

Howat's time was 13min 8sec, just behind Tasmanian world junior and senior orienteering champion Hanny Allston, 20, who registered 13:03.

Champion Irish distance runner Sonia O'Sullivan started with the main group and beat the footballers on her merits, recording around 12min 50sec.

Tigers coach Terry Wallace said he was glad his players had the opportunity to run against one of the world's best.

"To be honest, it was bloody fantastic to watch," Wallace said. "Craig has done the best time ever on the Tan (beating his previous best of 10:11sec), and he went past our blokes like they were stopped.

"He's caught the first of the young boys at the top of the (Anderson St) hill, and he grabbed the core of the group, including our better runners, by the Shrine.

"And then Cam Howat, who's our best at the moment, tried to kick with him, and lasted probably 200m and then died."

Wallace said Mottram then spoke to players about pushing themselves to the limit.

"He spoke to them about how they should be running and what they should be doing," Wallace said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20961873%255E20322,00.html

Jackstar

Re: Mottram gives Tigers a tanning (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 07:56:43 AM »
I still cant believe that Cam Howat is back on the rookie list.
Just stayed up most of the night watching some tapes and highlights of 2006 .
He is a really good player. Runs hard. Alot more than some other players who I cant be bothered mentioning :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 04:59:45 PM »
All I can think of as possible reasons why Howat is still on the rookie list is 1) he is one-sided, 2) perhaps we'll have someone on the long-term injury list from the start of the season so he'll play anyway and 3) it saves us $. Other than that I have no idea why  ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 05:12:03 PM »
He has to be better than the following

Jackson.
McGaune.
Hartigan
Meyer
Casserley
K. Moore

I know they play in different roles but the above didnt play much at all.
I dont think the  above listed would be in our best 22 either.

What sticks in my mind is the thrashing later in the year eg Saints and west coast
he was one of the very very few that had a go.
Tivendale went completely missing in the those games ::)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 12:14:21 AM »
He has to be better than the following

Jackson. - Yep. Seems to only shine at FF but there are a number of others ahead of him for that possie
McGaune - Yep. Howat is a natural footballer unlike McGuane.
Hartigan - Harts on last chance.
Meyer - Skill wise Meyer is better but Howat would in other areas be ahead of Danny
Casserley - Cass is only starting his second year of senior footy and had OP last year. Too early to compare with the more experienced Howat
K. Moore - Kel's last chance. Needs a injury-free run which this preseason he (touchwood) is getting. Plays a different role/possie to Cam

There's a queue when it comes to comments about Tivs lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 08:59:22 AM »

What sticks in my mind is the thrashing later in the year eg Saints and west coast
he was one of the very very few that had a go.
In any thrashing you could name 9 or 10 players who went completely missing. I thought Tivendale was in our best couple of players against St Kilda (and probably our best against the Dogs in round 1). Was smashed against Sydney and Waist Coats but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 07:58:25 AM »
I'm a big fan of Cam's. From what I've seen of him so far I've been very impressed. He has great disposal by foot and hits the Half Forward line with supreme accuracy. To know that he is one of the clubs best endurance runners is also a bonus! I agree with Jackstar and this list he put forward. Cam is better than them and I think MT might be on the money with the clubs expected long term injuries and the cost savings in keeping him a rookie.
He wil play plenty next season for sure. Slot him in the half back flank/wing and watch him go!  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 06:00:24 AM »
The Tan is being widened to give you OER speedsters room to overtake  ;)

Popular Tan track to be widened in $500,000 upgrade
Peter Ker
December 27, 2006

The council is awaiting official approval for $550,000 worth of improvements to the famous track, which is used by an estimated 300,000 people every year.

Under the proposal, which closed for public comment last Friday, the Tan will remain 3.8 kilometres in length, but double in width (to 4.5 metres in parts) around nearly half the track.

The works will focus on parts of the track from Birdwood Avenue, near the Shrine of Remembrance, past Government House and around Linlithgow Avenue at the city end of the track.

TEN FASTEST TIMES AROUND THE TAN
2006 Craig Mottram (Australia) 10 min 8 sec

2003 Craig Mottram (Australia) 10 min 12 sec

2000 William Chirchir (Kenya) 10.19 (pictured right)

1999 Noah Ngeny (Kenya) 10.22

1999 Luke Kipkosgei (Kenya) 10.26

1998 Bob Kennedy (USA) 10.29

2003 Steve Monaghetti (Australia) 10.41 (pictured left)

2003 Lee Troop (Australia) 10.42

1998 Graham Hood (Canada) 10.45

1998 Martin Keino (Kenya) 10.45

1983 Mike Hillardt (Australia) 10.47

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/popular-tan-track-to-be-widened-in-500000-upgrade/2006/12/26/1166895297035.html