Author Topic: Remembering Royce the rolled gold Richmond rookie (RFC)  (Read 4564 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Remembering Royce the rolled gold Richmond rookie (RFC)
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 06:27:47 PM »
Kevin Morris came from Glen Waverley which was our zone. FT I actually lived in that area as a child and I remember a few kids in my class at East Oakleigh primary played for Oakleigh Youth who wore green and yellow circa 1980 and were Tigers fans but we also had others who played for Oakleigh District who fell into Sth Melbourne's zone. We actually lived in the same street as Steven Wright who played for Oakleigh District as did David Rhys Jones. Nevertheless most kids were Richmond supporters in the area growing up during my primary school years in the early 80's. :thumbsup

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 10:50:14 PM »
Thanks Fluffy and HT74. I could be totally wrong but I just remember hearing something about the VFL introducing zoning in the mid 70s (1974-5?) which Richmond and Fitzroy opposed. We ended up getting poor zones (to which some people blamed the VFL paying us back for being arrogant and successful) while say Hawthorn got Assumption College.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 09:53:17 PM »
Thanks Fluffy and HT74. I could be totally wrong but I just remember hearing something about the VFL introducing zoning in the mid 70s (1974-5?) which Richmond and Fitzroy opposed. We ended up getting poor zones (to which some people blamed the VFL paying us back for being arrogant and successful) while say Hawthorn got Assumption College.
My memory could be a bit vague about this also but I thought zoning came in a bit earlier than this.  I remember we had the Sunraysia (Mildura/Swan Hill) zone and did quite well out of it.  Mark Lee, Dale Weightman, Merv Keane, Jim Jess are a few that spring to mind.  I was from Bendigo and they were zoned to Carlton who did very well - Geoff Southby, Rod Ashman, Des English, Peter Dean, Jim Buckley,  Ken Sheldon, Ray Byrne, Dean Rice, Peter Rhode, Tony Southcombe, Peter McConville and many others.  From memory, zoning had its pros and cons - some sides poured a lot more effort and resources into their zones and were rewarded for it but not all zones were equal - they all had a major league as well as minor leagues but not all major leagues were at the same strength/standard, hence an uneven playing field.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 10:09:07 PM »
Matty Knights was from Merebin which is up near Mildura in the Sunraysia District.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 04:39:30 PM »
My memory could be a bit vague about this also but I thought zoning came in a bit earlier than this.  I remember we had the Sunraysia (Mildura/Swan Hill) zone and did quite well out of it.  Mark Lee, Dale Weightman, Merv Keane, Jim Jess are a few that spring to mind.  I was from Bendigo and they were zoned to Carlton who did very well - Geoff Southby, Rod Ashman, Des English, Peter Dean, Jim Buckley,  Ken Sheldon, Ray Byrne, Dean Rice, Peter Rhode, Tony Southcombe, Peter McConville and many others.  From memory, zoning had its pros and cons - some sides poured a lot more effort and resources into their zones and were rewarded for it but not all zones were equal - they all had a major league as well as minor leagues but not all major leagues were at the same strength/standard, hence an uneven playing field.
Cheers for that smokey. The Kellaways (well Duncan at least) and Pickerings came from our Glen Waverley zone IIRC.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 06:36:23 PM »
Cheers for that smokey. The Kellaways (well Duncan at least) and Pickerings came from our Glen Waverley zone IIRC.
And reading the first part of the Neville Crowe story it appears he was a product of zoning also (although already a confirmed Richmond tragic).  He mentioned that he was from Malvern which was in our zone.  That would make it back into the late 50's/early60's.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 06:41:15 PM »
Crowe's career spanned from 1957-67.
Did he attend De La Salle like Jack Dyer anyone? Just curious.

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 06:49:49 PM »
And reading the first part of the Neville Crowe story it appears he was a product of zoning also (although already a confirmed Richmond tragic).  He mentioned that he was from Malvern which was in our zone.  That would make it back into the late 50's/early60's.
Just did a wikipedia search. You're right smokey. It seems Metropolitan zones had been around for donkey's years whereas country zones came in the late 1960s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_zoning

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 06:54:19 PM »
Zoning was an unfair system. Country zoning took it to another level of unfairness.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 07:23:03 PM »
Zoning was an unfair system. Country zoning took it to another level of unfairness.
Agree.  Some sides were much smarter in how they used/developed it but it helped create a 'cultural' divide.

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 12:05:40 PM »
I do believe South Melbourne put quite a bit of effort into the zones back in those days. They seemed to have a great Under 19 teams and Little league teams. Look where it got them in the end though  :shh

It was a unfiar sytem but hey talent can come form anywhere so it was all luck anyway.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 04:50:46 PM »
Yep, good riddens to it. Although some like Malcolm Blight want it brought back  :help.