Author Topic: The Neville Crowe story (RFC)  (Read 1440 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Neville Crowe story (RFC)
« on: January 04, 2008, 04:51:50 PM »
Surprise debut a huge thrill for Tiger legend
2:16 PM Fri 4 January, 2008
By Ben Broad
for richmondfc.com.au

Neville Crowe is Richmond through and through. In the first of a two-part series, Ben Broad talks to the former Tiger player and administrator about his days in the yellow and black jumper.

FORMER Richmond champion Neville Crowe chalked up three best and fairest awards and captained his club over four seasons, but it was his first VFL match that was one of his biggest thrills in the yellow and black.

As a youngster, Crowe had spent his Saturday afternoons perched up high on a fence behind the goals at Punt Road watching his beloved Tigers.

By the age of 19, he was impressing for the State Savings Bank side in Melbourne’s A Grade Amateurs competition and, given he lived in East Malvern and was zoned in Richmond’s area, had caught the eye of the Tigers.

After discussing the prospect of a pre-season at Punt Road with his Amateurs coach, he thought he’d give it a try.

“Low and behold, I was picked in the first game,” Crowe said.

“Little did I realise, it was going to be the start of an 11-year career with the Tiges in a playing sense.

“Getting selected in that first game … just blew me away. I never expected it and I had no thoughts [of it] whatsoever.

“I was just down there doing a bit of pre-season [training] for the State Bank effectively.”

In his debut – against North Melbourne and fittingly at Punt Road – he booted a goal with his first kick in VFL football.

Roy Wright was the club’s No.1 ruckman at the time, but Crowe would later assume that mantle, and do so with aplomb.

He won Richmond’s best and fairest in 1963, 1964 and 1966 and captained the side from 1963 to 1966 – achievements he rates among his finest.

“Playing for Victoria on nine occasions [was good too] and in 1966 I got into the All-Australian team, so there was lots of those highlights and not too many lowlights,” Crowe said.

For all the highs, there was also one famous low point which ultimately led to the Richmond big man hanging up his boots.

In 1967 the Tigers were one of the dominant teams of the season and played Carlton in the second semi final, with the winner progressing straight to the Grand Final.

It was in this match that Crowe was reported for the first time in his 150-match career and, with the Tigers getting up to beat the Blues, his one-match ban meant he was forced to miss the biggest game of his career.

Crowe and fellow big man John Nicholls famously clashed in the match, although years later Nicholls admitted exaggerating the incident in a bid to win a free kick.

“He had me tied up in a wrestle if you like and I wanted to get clear so I could play on as quickly as possible,” Crowe explained.

“During our wrestle, if you like, big Nic gives me this punch in the guts and I step back and throw this open hand at him and miss him by about three inches and he falls down like he’s been hit by a truck or something.

“All of that’s fine … the problem was he lost his memory at the tribunal and that’s something that I don’t forgive easily.”

Crowe’s suspension meant he had to look on as the Tigers beat Geelong by nine points in the Grand Final.

“You forget about it, but you don’t forgive it, because he gave me up and that made life a little bit difficult for a while,” Crowe said of Nicholls’ “memory loss” that resulted in him  missing out on premiership glory.

“But I soon got over that and went on with it, although I didn’t play any more footy.”

Crowe said the incident was no longer a sore point despite that match being his final at VFL level, with the Tiger champion “turning his back on his footy career” and instead concentrating on the business world.

Aged 30, and having been an All-Australian just a year earlier and with plenty of football left in him, Crowe retired from league football.

“I just felt a bit peeved with what had happened and went off searching in other directions,” Crowe said.

He had achieved much but, like so many greats of the game, he departed without a premiership to his name.

But he would return to Tigerland, albeit in a number of different roles.

Return to richmondfc.com.au on Saturday for part two of The Neville Crowe story

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/News/NewsArticle/Default.aspx?newsId=54517

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The Neville Crowe story (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 06:27:53 PM »
“You forget about it, but you don’t forgive it, because he gave me up and that made life a little bit difficult for a while,” Crowe said of Nicholls’ “memory loss” that resulted in him  missing out on premiership glory.
And you wonder why we can't stand Carlton????????/// >:(

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:59:26 PM »
And you wonder why we can't stand Carlton????????/// >:(
And Fowler's shirtfront all the more sweeter  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:50:27 PM »
And Fowler's shirtfront all the more sweeter  :thumbsup.
MT, you have just made my night!  :cheers

Offline rbartlett

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »

Is it me, or is the photograph used by the club on the front of their website for their Neville Crowe story, not a picture of Neville Crowe.
Look how different he looks!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 06:41:24 PM »
A continuing contribution to yellow and black
1:47 PM Sat 5 January, 2008
By Ben Broad
for richmondfc.com.au

Neville Crowe first walked in the doors at Punt Road more than 50 years ago. Today, aged 70, he still performs the role of senior account executive. In the second half of his two-part interview, Ben Broad talks to the former Tiger player about his days since he hung up the boots.

AFTER 11 seasons playing in the yellow and black, Neville Crowe hung up his boots following the club’s 1967 premiership success.

Tragically, he had missed the Grand Final after being suspended for the first time in his career following a controversial incident with Carlton big man John Nicholls in the second semi final.

Richmond was about to embark on its most successful era and, with Crowe out in the business world during the premierships of 1969, ’73 and ’74, it was with great joy that the former Tigers captain got to share in the glory of the club’s 1980 flag.

Following his days at VFL level, he had spent a season with Caulfield under the guidance of Tony Jewell.

So in 1980, when the then-Richmond coach Jewell asked him to help out with the club’s ruckman and on-ball division, Crowe didn’t think twice.

“I enjoyed that immensely, especially given we won the 1980 flag,” Crowe said.

“So I sort of had half a touch of the big tin cup.”

His foray into coaching was just the start of what was to become a long stint back at the club in a variety of roles – from marketing director, to president, to his role today as senior account executive.

It was in 1987 that the club called on Crowe’s business nous and invited him to take on the role of director of marketing.

“Not much longer after that they asked me if I’d take over the job as president because there was a bit of politicking that had gone on and the club had sort of eaten itself as it has had a habit of doing from time to time,” Crowe said.

“But in this particular instance it was something that I definitely wanted to do and they were happy to have me take on board the presidency.”

It was during Crowe’s seven-year reign that he oversaw one of “the greatest team efforts” in the Richmond Football Club’s history.

The Tigers were in grave financial strife in 1990 but fought back under the ‘Save Our Skins’ campaign.

“We set a target in 10 weeks to raise a million dollars and virtually on the last day, the last dollar rolled in,” Crowe explained.

“Thousands and thousands and thousands of Richmond supporters came to the party because they realised that we were genuinely on the ropes.

“We were in serious strife and probably operated illegally for a period of time but we took that risk as directors and we’ve come out the other side.

“That was a sensational time in the roller-coaster in the history of the Richmond Footy Club,” Crowe said.

Another delicate time Crowe faced during his time as president was when the board decided club great Kevin Bartlett’s time as coach was up.

With the Tigers struggling on the field and Bartlett feeling aggrieved at a lack of resources for the football department, the Richmond board had to travel to Bartlett’s home to inform him of his sacking – resulting in a long-running feud which has only recently been put to bed.

Crowe said he, like all Tigers fans, was delighted KB had returned to Punt Road.

“I’m thrilled he’s back [at the club] because the club needs people like KB,” Crowe said.

‘The fans love him to bits, he’s one of our absolute heroes of the game so it’s terrific to have him back with the club.”

Crowe’s tenure as president ended in 1993 and, while he believed he was set for a quiet retirement five years ago, the Tigers again came calling.

“I’d actually decided to retire from work and I was going to go out and have a Jim’s Mowing round – which was going to be my method of keeping fit,” he said.

“But at the very, very last drop of the hat, the club asked me if I’d come down and help them in the marketing area, generating income and so on and so forth. I went down and had a chat with them and we came to an agreement and it took me about 20 seconds to make up my mind.”

His role in recent years has seen him generating income for the club and helping look after the Tigers’ country and interstate supporter groups.

He has been a jack of all trades during more than 50 years at Richmond, saying he has “even cleaned the toilets from time to time as well”.

But one thing has remained constant – his love for the yellow and black. And he is more optimistic than ever that Terry Wallace and his emerging crop of youngsters are on the right track to returning the club to its glory days.

“I’m like all the run-of-the-mill supporters … I’m just desperately keen for us to get in there for my kids and my grandkids and my great grandkids and all the supporters,” he said.

“I’d just love us to have another successful era because that’s what we’re all here for at the end of the day.

“We’re desperately keen to make sure that we can return this footy club to being back to where it belongs and that’s up there with the best – if not being the best – and to do that doesn’t come easy but that’s what we’re aiming at.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/News/NewsArticle/Default.aspx?newsId=54519