Author Topic: Terry's Next Contract  (Read 43211 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Terry's Next Contract
« Reply #435 on: July 19, 2008, 01:43:57 AM »
mightytigers - what a great post you put together regarding our recruiting in the past. It really put things into context for me and coupled with smokey's recent recruiting post explains very clearly why we are where we are at as a club and why we are now starting to show some promise.

I think it is very clear that we are on the brink of some long awaited success at Tigerland and it is our recent recruits that will take us there.

If I was to create a current team out of your recruitment list from 2004 onwards Smokey it would look something like this -

Rance           Thursfield           King

McGuane         Gourdis             Oakley-Nichollas

Cotchin           Putt                Deledio

White             Polo               Connors

Tambling         Riewoldt            White

Edwards         Hughes            Morton

Interchange - Collins, Pattison/Graham, Meyer, Collard.       

If you throw in some addition players such as Schulz and Moore into the backline (2002 draft), Raines and McMahon that looks like a strong, promising unit to me. Add more new recruits over the next few years and we have the makings of a powerful team IMHO. :)

Stripes

Yep Stripes it's a pleasant to change at Punt Rd to be able to write down a full 21 and under side even if some of those above as a reality of footy life won't make the grade (only about half of them do even at top clubs - a bonus if more do). There no guarantees of ultimate success for any club but as you say we add more youngsters in the next few drafts especially in areas we still need (ruck, onballers and another KPP or two) and in a few years time we'll have a strong list with depth all maturing and coming through together to genuinely and finally challenge after 3 decades of chasing quick fixes and a ficticious messiah who will cure all our ills both on and off field.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #436 on: July 19, 2008, 02:36:24 AM »
Meyer classy ::)

Mate, quite frankly if you don't rate Meyer as 'classy footballer', in terms of his kicking abilty etc. then you really have no idea.

trust me he doesnt

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #437 on: July 21, 2008, 09:03:11 AM »
mightytigers - what a great post you put together regarding our recruiting in the past. It really put things into context for me and coupled with smokey's recent recruiting post explains very clearly why we are where we are at as a club and why we are now starting to show some promise.

I think it is very clear that we are on the brink of some long awaited success at Tigerland and it is our recent recruits that will take us there.

If I was to create a current team out of your recruitment list from 2004 onwards Smokey it would look something like this -

If you throw in some addition players such as Schulz and Moore into the backline (2002 draft), Raines and McMahon that looks like a strong, promising unit to me. Add more new recruits over the next few years and we have the makings of a powerful team IMHO. :)

Stripes

Yep Stripes it's a pleasant to change at Punt Rd to be able to write down a full 21 and under side even if some of those above as a reality of footy life won't make the grade (only about half of them do even at top clubs - a bonus if more do). There no guarantees of ultimate success for any club but as you say we add more youngsters in the next few drafts especially in areas we still need (ruck, onballers and another KPP or two) and in a few years time we'll have a strong list with depth all maturing and coming through together to genuinely and finally challenge after 3 decades of chasing quick fixes and a ficticious messiah who will cure all our ills both on and off field.

ficticious messiah ,lololol l like that.
we have had a few of them .
but l agree recruiting of youngsters is the way to go.
but what l find worrying is some of them struggle to hit targets with there disposals.
they seem unsure alot when they get the ball,and wallet continues with his game plan which l think the players we have cant execute it properly.
and the chip chip game is not the way we should be heading its flawed .
lm not judging wallet on the position of our ladder finish .
lm judging him on how he gets our team to preform week in week out,and how he improves our younger players ,at this stage our more experienced players are holding the fort for us.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #438 on: July 21, 2008, 08:37:28 PM »

Stripes

ficticious messiah ,lololol l like that.
we have had a few of them .
but l agree recruiting of youngsters is the way to go.
but what l find worrying is some of them struggle to hit targets with there disposals.
they seem unsure alot when they get the ball,and wallet continues with his game plan which l think the players we have cant execute it properly.
and the chip chip game is not the way we should be heading its flawed .
lm not judging wallet on the position of our ladder finish .
lm judging him on how he gets our team to preform week in week out,and how he improves our younger players ,at this stage our more experienced players are holding the fort for us.

Richo, Browny, Simmo, Tuck, Sugar, Newy, Bowden and McMahon are our experienced players in terms of age and AFL games played from this and next weekend. That's less than half the current team. The others like Tivs, Petts and Hyde are on the outer for obvious reasons. We are still filtering and adding to our future core who are 22 and under at this stage to see who is really up to it. 

Team vs Essendon. Ten U22s to the Bombers' six on the weekend:

30: Bowden (247), Brown (204), Johnson (214), Simmonds (173)
-------------------------------
26: Tuck (85), Newman (127)
25: McMahon (130)
24: Moore (40)
23: Schulz (62)
-------------------------------
22: Foley (65), Pattison (50), Thursfield (34)
21: Polo (30), Tambling (69), Deledio (78), Hughes (16), McGuane (26), Morton (23), White (32)
19: Edwards (26), Riewoldt (20)
18: Cotchin (9)

31: Michael (232)
30: Lloyd (246), Lucas (255)
29: Peverill (139)
----------------------------
27: Hille (140), Ramanauskas (128)
25: Lovett-Murray (79), McPhee (141), Welsh (129)
23: Atkinson (3), Laycock (54), Watson (66)
------------------------------
22: Dyson (58), Nash (35), Slattery (46), Stanton (92)
21: Lonergan (14), Monfries (66)
20: Jetta (17), Neagle (8), Ryder (46)
19: Reimers (16)

I know what your saying in terms of how we play. We need the whole side running, supporting and working hard together for Wallace's gameplan to work. When that doesn't happen (3rd qtr on Saturday) we go short, wide and move the ball slowly and then cough up the footy chronically via lack of options in space, poor disposal and decision making  :P. Being too safe is footy suicide. When we're on we can score quickly and kick bags in a quarter as we've shown this year. Likewise when we're off during a game (mostly 3rd quarters this year) we can similarly concede a lot of goals in a row. We still lack the leadership and experience out on the field to break the sleeping spell we seem to go under as a whole team for chunks of a game. Unfortunately young sides are up and down like yo-yos :-\

As for Wallace yep he'll be judged on list management and gamestyle in 13-14 months time but ladder finish will still have a big say in whether Wallace is still around after 2009. He needs a finals appearance at the very least. If he doesn't he'll be gone. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Keep the faith, says Wallace (RFC)
« Reply #439 on: July 24, 2008, 12:08:26 PM »
Keep the faith, says Wallace
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
Thu 24 July, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace says his young Tigers are about ready to pounce and fans should keep the faith.

The Tigers have won four of their last five matches and sit just half a game outside the eight, two points behind the free-falling Crows and one match behind the Kangaroos, but with a significantly slightly percentage.

The coach said the disappointment with the Tigers in recent years had been caused by a less than accurate assessment of where they were in their rebuilding process.

"I've thought that the whole time it's been others that have thought we've lost our way," Wallace said. "I just think that people don't understand how your list shapes up and how long things take.

"I've seen us being in a similar position to Carlton over the period of time. I know people have compared us to the Bulldogs and Hawthorn, who were down when we were down, but I thought that they had already started their processes and had young players at the club at that stage.

"I go back to Hawthorn going back four years ago – they had Hodgey (Luke Hodge) running around at 20 years of age, and (Sam) Mitchell running around at 21 years of age – they were 15th because those blokes were just too young at that stage to be able to impact games, but we didn't have that group of guys, so they were able to rebound a little bit quicker than us.

"The Bulldogs were a bit the same – they went down because they had so many of the Giansiracusas and Murphys and Hahns and all those in the side – the Gilbees – all in the side at the one time.

"They weren't able to win games with them, but rebounded quicker because they were a bit more mature.

"We were in a different position – we were similar to Carlton who had a lot of top-end in age players and had to virtually start from ground level zero with your young players, and it takes you four or five years for them to start to come in and develop, and that's just the way it is.

"Our boys were 17 when we gave them the opportunity to come in to the process. Now some of them are 20 and starting to impact."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsid=63996