Author Topic: Sheedy 'not in running' to coach Richmond: March (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1160 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
I scanned in this one also as it's also not on the net .......... please do not cut and paste these elsewhere

Sheedy 'not in running'
By Craig Hutchison
Sunday Herald-Sun 15 March 2009, Page S10

RICHMOND president Gary March has declared the Tigers are almost certain to overlook favourite son Kevin Sheedy when Terry Wallace's coaching reign ends.

March said this week he hoped Wallace would remain coach long term, but would probably need to make the finals to be reappointed.

But he cast doubt on theories that the club could turn to Sheedy at some stage.

"This is only a personal opinion so I'm not commenting for the rest of the board, I probably think that that time has passed,'' March said.

Sheedy has long been linked to a return to the club in a coaching capacity.

He accepted a role as the face of Richmond's 2009 membership drive.

March said the Tigers would look to newer coaches when they eventually replaced Wallace.

"I think with the way the game is going, we're looking towards newer coaches with different ideas and different innovations,'' he said.

"Kevin has now been out of the (coaching) game, it will nearly be two years at the end of this year, you're probably looking for someone to come into the game with fresher ideas, so for me I would have thought that time has probably passed.''

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Sheedy 'not in running' to coach Richmond: March (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »
Anyone get the feeling that march does not like TW.

Taking my Dislike of TW hat off, i think they should come out and say no comment re: coaching, we are only interested in finals.

Discussing coaching changes post Wallace in the media, doesnt bring a good feeling with some at the club IMO.

We just like look the Richmond of old getting ready to sack another coach.

True as it may be but why cant they keep it house instead of delivering it to Hutchy.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tigerfan1961

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 11:31:19 AM »

Taking my Dislike of TW hat off, i think they should come out and say no comment re: coaching, we are only interested in finals.

Discussing coaching changes post Wallace in the media, doesnt bring a good feeling with some at the club IMO.

True as it may be but why cant they keep it house instead of delivering it to Hutchy.
Yep, totally agree Daniel- should be fully kept "in-house". And I also agree that March appears to have a problem with TW and they seem to already have discussed plans for what type his Successor may be!!!!!!!!!!!! Is a real concern in my book

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 12:19:29 PM »

Completely agree daniel. Just placing more pressure on the club and giving the media more ammunition to fire at us later in the year if things drop off. Already speculating about coaching successors before the first ball is bounced is wrong in my book especially for the President of any club.

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 01:04:25 PM »
Another diabolical episode in Richmond PR "Not in running" - what kind of statement is that.  I didnt know there was a job going. What a stupid thing to say. We are amateurs in terms of PR.

By the way, this will sound leftfield as well, but I hear If TW doesnt succeed in 2009 and indeed if we get off to a really bad start, things could be on ... and the name that has come from nowhere is that of Leigh Matthews.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 03:00:23 PM »
I for one could not care less about what March has said. I think he is talking in general terms(AFL) with regards to younger coaches. Nothing ground breaking there. Clarkson's success last season emphasises a need for fresh thinkers.

Additionally there is going to be a plethora of coaching talent available at years end and unless we have an exceptional year, Wallace should just be just another in a long list of applicants for his job. If he again proves to be the best candidate then he'll be reappointed but if not someone else can have the opportunity to take our young list to premiership glory.

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 05:00:36 PM »
Teacup. Storm.

Who knows in what context these quotes came from.

Gary and Terry don't have to like one another to get the job done anyway.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 05:04:06 PM »

Completely agree daniel. Just placing more pressure on the club and giving the media more ammunition to fire at us later in the year if things drop off. Already speculating about coaching successors before the first ball is bounced is wrong in my book especially for the President of any club.

Stripes

Its crap.

Im the first to admit i dont like TW and cant wait to see the back of him but we as a club are so unprofessional when dealing with this kind of stuff and its one of the reasons the football world laugh at us.

In house i couldnt care less what March says to TW but to Mr personality Hutchy. Please??

I was convinced that Wallace would come close to seeing out the year now im convinced a bad start and he is gone by Round 11.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 06:10:52 PM »
I was convinced that Wallace would come close to seeing out the year now im convinced a bad start and he is gone by Round 11.

Only one way to prevent that happening..

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »
Teacup. Storm.

Exactly. Is this from Hutchy's wide ranging interview with March that was only about Wallace  ::).

Hutchy: Do you think Sheedy will ever coach again?

March makes his comments which incidently don't include the quote 'not in running' at Richmond.

Hutchy puts 2 and 2 together to get 5 and Sheedy not in running at Richmond if Wallace goes.

Having said that I still think March can be a bit naive when it comes to media questions and not see through twirps like Hutchy who are just after a hyped up scoop to boost themselves up rather than report reality. All March had to say was what Ramps said - that there isn't a job going at Richmond and stick to saying he believes Terry will be a long-term coach at Tigerland for years to come. You don't answer hypothetical questions. Who knows what will happen next week let alone in 6 months time.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 09:28:20 PM »
Teacup. Storm.

Exactly. Is this from Hutchy's wide ranging interview with March that was only about Wallace  ::).

Hutchy: Do you think Sheedy will ever coach again?

March makes his comments which incidently don't include the quote 'not in running' at Richmond.

Hutchy puts 2 and 2 together to get 5 and Sheedy not in running at Richmond if Wallace goes.

Having said that I still think March can be a bit naive when it comes to media questions and not see through twirps like Hutchy who are just after a hyped up scoop to boost themselves up rather than report reality. All March had to say was what Ramps said - that there isn't a job going at Richmond and stick to saying he believes Terry will be a long-term coach at Tigerland for years to come. You don't answer hypothetical questions. Who knows what will happen next week let alone in 6 months time.

We all fell for it again including our president! A tree jumping, rubbish sorting, embezzler of truth like Hutchison is always going to make a mountain out of a mole hill.