Author Topic: What's your expectations of our new Tigers for 2009?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What's your expectations of our new Tigers for 2009?
« on: December 18, 2008, 07:14:45 AM »
What's your expectations for each of the newbies in 2009?

Thomson
Hislop
Vickery
Nahas
Browne
Gilligan

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: What's your expectations of our new Tigers for 2009?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:01:15 AM »
Thomson - 15-20 games - Will surprise and become an important part of the midfield
Hislop - 5-10 games - Could play more, it's a luxury now that we have players fighting for spots in the midfield
Vickery - 3-6 games - Few games later on for a taste of it
Post - 1-2 games - Good form will be rewarded with a game or two
Cousins - 15-22 games - If fit will play every game
Nahas - 10-15 games - He is what we lack in the forward line, is 21 and played against men for a few years, will be elevated immediately and kick a few goals
Browne - 0 games - Unless we have a ruck injury crisis won't play. I prefer we do this than take players like Cartledge
Gilligan - 0 games - Developing in Coburg
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:35:35 PM by wayne »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:09:06 AM »
Here goes

Thomson       With Cousins and Hislop I am just not too sure if he will make the top side, I would expect for him to
                   play most of the year in Coburg Firsts                    
Hislop           Pretty much same as Thomson, but if one of these two played more in the tiges side than the other I feel it may be
                   Hislop
Vickery         Would expect him to play predominately in Coburg firsts with maybe an appearance in the tiges side at the end of
                   year.
Post             Probably Coburg firsts for most of the season.
Cousins         As long as the hammies hold up he will be in our starting 18 every week
Nahas           Coburg firsts
Browne         Coburg ressies with a few games in the coburg firsts side based on form
Gilligan          Coburg ressies for most if not all the year
Gilligan

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:58:40 AM »
27. Hislop            3-10   matches
29. Vickery          0-6    matches
31. Thomson       6-16   matches
32. Cousins          22     matches (no injuries)
37. Post             Coburg Seniors

Browne              Coburg Seniors
Gilligan               Coburg Seniors
Nahas               0-2       matches              because we can promote a Rookie listed player after Round 11

Gourdis             0-6      matches               placed on Senior list because of Polak on L.T.I.L

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 12:19:48 PM »
Thomson - Should aim to play a dozen matches or more, hopefully will be on the bench to rotate with Shane Tuck
Hislop - Hopefully break into the senior side for a half a dozen matches
Vickery - Start as a forward for Coburg Seniors, rotate into the ruck when against a junior, perhaps play 3-4 AFL matches
Post - May start at Coburg Reserves, hope to have a Coburg Seniors spot cemented by the end of the year
Cousins - Anything more than 12 matches will be a success
Nahas - Coburg Seniors for the year, perhaps the odd cameo in the AFL to test him out
Browne - Coburg Reserves, he needs to get fit, no room for him in Coburg Seniors with Graham, Putt & Vickery ahead of him
Gilligan - Coburg Seniors, but may start in the reserves

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
Depends on injuries within the team and themselves of course but -

Thomson - 12 to 18 games. Will join Tuck as our in and under hard nuts around the packs.

Hislop - 12 - 18 games. Pack pocket small defender. Will play more of a nullifying role rathert han rebounding and may spend time in the middle but this is unlikely given the raft of talent in their next year.

Vickery - 5 -10 games. Depend on how Hughes plays. If Hughes is underperforming Vickery will be called in as our tall forward target leading out from the goalsquare.

Post - 0 - 5 games. Unlikely to see AFL action this year given the strength of our defense and quantity of forwards all pushing for selection.

Browne & Gilligan - Plenty of chances to develop in the Burgers

Nahas - 2 - 6 games but depends on him. We need a goal sneak so the door is open for him if he kills them in the 2's.

Gourdis - 1-3 games.

Cousins - full season if his hamstrings allow it!  :thumbsup

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:47:30 PM »
Thomson - You would hope given we've gone out and recruited them in their early 20s that one of Thommo or Hislop ends up playing a majority of games next season. Thomson at 22 y.o. would have the onus on him to play 11+ games to take the workload off Foley and Tuck in the guts.

Hislop - 6+ games. On the fringes of senior selection.

Vickery - Almost all the season in the Coburg seniors plus a couple of games for Richmond as a forward moreso than ruck. 

Post - Agree with Infamy. Start in the Coburg Reserves and then hope to have a Coburg Seniors spot cemented by the end of the year.

Cousins - Making it through the year without "incident" or soft-tissue injuries would be a success for Ben. If he were to star then there'll be 15 other clubs and 3 especially feeling very stupid and with angry fans on their doorstep.

Nahas - Coburg Seniors. I'm guessing he'll be promoted off the rookie list when Polak goes onto the LTIL so he could play say 6 games as a small forward for Richmond.

Browne - Coburg Reserves although at 205cm and 105kg he's built to play VFL seniors. Pushing for a Coburg seniors spot towards the end of the year or if there is an injury to our other rucks.

Gilligan - Coburg Reserves.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 11:02:52 PM »
Thomson - Hoping he plays atleast 15 games, less than 10 and Id be disappointed.

Hislop - Hoping he plays 10 to 15 games, less than 10 and he hasnt worked hard enough.

Vickery - I can see Vickery playing 5 to 8 games, he'll get games if Hughes doesnt fire up. I expect to see him play upforward, for the rest of the time, he'll be at Coburg.

Post - Should start at Coburg 2s, hopefully hes a regular Coburg senior player by R22 and developing his game.

Cousins - If we can get 15 games this season then thats a success. Less than 10 a disappointment

Nahas - Coburg Seniors. But I can see him pinching between 5 and 10 games in the AFL side, especially if Edwards doesnt fire up soon.

Browne - First 12 months at Coburg 2s, then 12 months at Coburg seniors. Then we can reasses.

Gilligan - Coburg Reserves.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 07:21:05 AM »
Thomson - looking at around 12-15 games

Hislop - would think 12-15 games is a win

Vickery - will start with Coburg seniors - shot at the AFL in the 2nd half of the year I'd reckon

Post -  like Ramps I reckon will start at Coburg ressies, and then onto Coburg seniors player by the end of the season

Cousins - anywhere from 16-22 games I would think

Nahas - as a rookie it will be Coburg Seniors. Cannot see him being elevated unlessa like type player is injured long term

Browne - meet him last night at the AGM - massive size of a kid. Development IMHO will start Coburg ressies but will play some senior VFL foot as the year goes on

Gilligan - Coburg Reserves to start with with the goal of Coburg seniors by year end

I would think Silvestor or Goudis are the most likely 2 to be promoted during the year. And before everyone goes "ape droppings" regarding Silvestor, it is last year as a rookie, if the opportunity is there he needs to play AFL to see if he can make it

:gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 07:49:55 AM »
Thomson - 12 to 16 games, more games in the 2nd half of the season than the 1st as his confidence grows.
Hislop - 6 to 10 games in 'bursts' ie 2 or 3 games together to start building "I belong here" in him.
Vickery - 5 to 10 games, more later in the season, Coburg seniors until then.
Post - no games, Coburg seniors later in the season.
Cousins - 16 to 22 games, will only miss through injury.
Nahas - 2 to 4 games to 'have a peek', Coburg seniors the rest.
Browne - Coburg reserves.
Gilligan - Coburg reserves.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The now generation - which draftees will play in 2009? (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 06:11:06 AM »
The now generation
Jackie Epstein | March 15, 2009

THE Chris Judd phenomenon got the expectation juggernaut rolling. Drafted, played, superstar.

That's what we want from our kids and we want it now.

They might only be teenagers, but long-standing hopes are pinned on these precocious talents who overnight join the ranks of men.

Judd went at pick 3 in 2001 and has since missed just eight games in seven seasons with West Coast and Carlton.

More recently Brett Deledio, the No.1 pick of 2004, played all 22 games in his first season at Richmond.

WHO WILL PLAY IN 2009?

Richmond

Tyrone Vickery played against Collingwood and Jayden Post made the trip to Perth. Both talls could be in the mix.

2008 DRAFT PICKS
8 Vickery
26 Post

Full article at:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25188886-19742,00.html

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 12:31:06 PM »
I can't see us giving a huge amount of game time to either Vickery or Post given the importance of the season to TW and the club in general. If the season goes downhill early we may see them play more later in the season but otherwise they will more than likely be given the same luxury we gave Rance last year - time to develop playing for Coburg.

Rather than a negative I see this as a sign of growing strength for the list in general

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 07:35:22 PM »
Rather than a negative I see this as a sign of growing strength for the list in general
Agree Stripes. At least now we don't have to throw our cubs to the wolves playing them in the seniors before they are ready or before they deserve to. Of course if one of them walks in and shows he is good enough to be given a go in round 1 then you play them. Browne is putting his hand up to be our early starter this year as he already has the size being built like a brickhouse at 18. Vickery and Post can take their time and make play a game or two during the season at most to get a taste of it. That's not a knock on the latter two because they were drafted early on and well before Browne as they may turn out to be better footballers long term for us but just the nature of their body types currently as teenagers.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd