Author Topic: Richmond won't make the Eight: Tony Shaw  (Read 2157 times)

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Richmond won't make the Eight: Tony Shaw
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 09:12:26 AM »
Greg Denham is now giving us a slagging off on SEN with KB.

He says Carlton, Brisbane and Port will DEFINITELY overtake us this year.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

bushranger

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 10:16:08 AM »
He will say anything to keep his name in the media.
Loser  :banghead

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 11:15:14 AM »
Stuff the eight, it looks like we are going all the way, Yee hah Giddy Up

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/73408/default.aspx
THREE-time Richmond premiership player Kevin Sheedy has told Tigers players they can win this season's flag, but has warned them that to just "roll out another footy season" won't cut it.

Sheedy, back at the club for the first time in 30 years after winning four flags as coach of Essendon, told the players the important thing was to believe they could do it.

richmondrules

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »
lol @ Tony Shaw.

Good luck with that Tony.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 04:17:56 PM »
The captains' thoughts.....

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/73423/default.aspx

THE AFL’s 16 club captains were polled ahead of Thursday’s launch of the 2009 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on who they think would be the big movers in the coming year.

Which seven other clubs do you think can make this year's top eight? (16 times seven selections)

Carlton (15), Geelong (15), Hawthorn (15), Western Bulldogs (14), Collingwood (12), Port Adelaide (10), St Kilda (nine), Adelaide (six), Brisbane Lions (four), Richmond (four), North Melbourne (three), Sydney Swans (three), Essendon (one), Fremantle (one), Melbourne (nil), West Coast Eagles (nil).

Which other club is most likely to reach the Grand Final?

Geelong Cats (14), Hawthorn (two).

Who do you think will win the 2009 Brownlow Medal?

Gary Ablett, Geelong Cats (nine), Chris Judd, Carlton (three), Jimmy Bartel, Geelong Cats (one), Lance Franklin, Hawthorn (one), Brent Harvey, North Melbourne (one), Matthew Richardson, Richmond (one).

Ox

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 04:26:12 PM »
let's organise to bash this little rock spiders head in.

PM me...

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »
The other teams obviously don't rate us. Time to change their minds with a big year.

I'm looking forward to when we are finally a respected and even feared team.

Stripes

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 05:18:14 PM »
Just reminding everyone of Tonys magnificent coaching career
88 games.30 wins @ 34%. :clapping   :wallywink

Unleash the tornado

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 06:20:53 PM »
Just go hug a tree Shaw! >:( :wallywink

bushranger

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 07:20:35 PM »
And lets hope the tree has root rot and falls on top of him.
All I know I will feel sorry for the tree.  :lol

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 09:45:26 PM »
Just reminding everyone of Tonys magnificent coaching career
88 games.30 wins @ 34%. :clapping   :wallywink

only 5% lower than Terry's at Richmond

Online crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 11:44:53 PM »
As much as I hate this idiot too, he may have some valid points. Our game plan is to complicated in comparison to our skill level. It might just cost us a few close games meaning we miss the eight.

It's in Terry's hands!

I can't see any validity in his point to be honest.  We won't know until the season is well under way what our 'real' game plan is and if our skill level is up to carrying it off.  What we do know is that we are an emerging side with a few top shelf veterans still performing at a high level and a large number of good kids in key (midfield especially) positions.  Our skill level has improved tangibly in each of the past 3 years and what evidence has he got that it won't continue to do so through a process of natural evolution and coaching?  We now have depth to cope with some injuries and showed on many occasions last year that we had the skills and game plan to mix it for long periods with the 'big boys'.  I don't believe it's in Terry's hands much at all actually - our side is going to show natural improvement again this year regardless of the coaching.

Now let's look at his ladder - the original quote doesn't mention West Coast, Fremantle and Melbourne and I am very confident in saying that none of these sides will figure in the final 8.  He lists St Kilda, Adelaide, Sydney and North as "lower".  This can only mean lower in the 8 or out so 4 teams need to replace them and for his comment "lower" to be fair AT LEAST 2 of them would have to jump over us to do so.  Carlton, Brisbane, Essendon and Port are his picks so I put it to you - which 2 minimum of these 4 teams is going to jump over us and finish in the 8?

Nah, I think Tony Shaw carries a chip and he allows that chip to cloud his judgement.

Well Smokey 58 your welcome to your opinion however there are obvious bad signs already and these signs are very similar to previous years that we are trying to play over complicated football. The football we play represents the very brand of football Terry Wallace likes to play. They train to play this over handball game plan. Last year the players themselves demanded to play one on one football from about mid way through the year.

Quite simply I forecast early loses against quality sides due to playing this style of football. By the time we play Melbourne our confidence will be down the s*iter. Laugh this off if you like but the majority of the football world can see the result coming. Shaw and Robertson have recently pointed it out in the media. Nobody has really questioned the quality of our list, but they know we are poorly coached. 

I'm sure our team wont intend to play this over handball crap next Thursday night, however under pressure our players will revert to bad habits. When your team looks sideways first (first option wise) you know we're in trouble. You could argue that other teams play this type of football too, However I disagree. Other teams like the Hawks zone to turnover the ball but when they do win possession they play in straight lines. Only Richmond know how to go backwards and sideways consistently as a first option. So the results will mean we are bound to over play ourselves out of at least 6 to 8 games this year with just complete stupidity.

Let the results tell the story.     

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 09:58:21 AM »
Well Smokey 58 your welcome to your opinion however there are obvious bad signs already and these signs are very similar to previous years that we are trying to play over complicated football. The football we play represents the very brand of football Terry Wallace likes to play. They train to play this over handball game plan. Last year the players themselves demanded to play one on one football from about mid way through the year.

Quite simply I forecast early loses against quality sides due to playing this style of football. By the time we play Melbourne our confidence will be down the s*iter. Laugh this off if you like but the majority of the football world can see the result coming. Shaw and Robertson have recently pointed it out in the media. Nobody has really questioned the quality of our list, but they know we are poorly coached. 

I'm sure our team wont intend to play this over handball crap next Thursday night, however under pressure our players will revert to bad habits. When your team looks sideways first (first option wise) you know we're in trouble. You could argue that other teams play this type of football too, However I disagree. Other teams like the Hawks zone to turnover the ball but when they do win possession they play in straight lines. Only Richmond know how to go backwards and sideways consistently as a first option. So the results will mean we are bound to over play ourselves out of at least 6 to 8 games this year with just complete stupidity.

Let the results tell the story.     

Interesting points Cracker.

I too forecast early losses against quality sides, however not because of over complicated football but because well we are playing quality sides and as a young developing team we are not top quality yet.

Unfortunately with the game evolving into defense oriented style and the increasing usage of rolling zones all sides are going to be forced into increasing their handball to kick ratio due to increasing pressure and need to hit targets on disposal.

You are entitled to your own opinion as you have stated and I do understand that we all see what we want to see on game day.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 10:11:03 AM »

Geelong seem to manage pretty well with a high handball ratio gameplan