Author Topic: Only five teams since 1994 have recovered from a 0-3 start to make finals  (Read 920 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
History is against us if we were to lose to the Bulldogs next week.....

The loss leaves the Tigers 0-2 facing a virtual "mini-final" against the Western Bulldogs next Monday at Etihad Stadium.

While Wallace played down the Dogs' clash as just another game, history gives the Tigers little chance of making the finals if they lose a third-straight match.

Only five teams since 1994 have recovered from a 0-3 start to make finals.

No team in the history of the top eight has tasted September action after losing its first four.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25290226-19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
It's interesting to see who those 5 teams were. Two ended up in preliminary finals.

1999 Sydney - 8th

2001 Adelaide - 8th

2004 Geelong - 4th........They got flogged by 10 goals to St Kilda in round 1 and by 54 points to Carlton in round 2 out of curiosity. Then won 13 from 16 from round 6 onwards knocking off the Saints in the return meeting in round 18. Lost the PF to Brisbane by 9 pts.

2006 Melbourne 7th

2007 North - 4th
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
History is just that

We spend alot of time focusing on the past at tigerland

Time for the current group to write some history of their own ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Only five teams since 1994 have recovered from a 0-3 start to make finals.

It'll be interesting to see how the Dawks go if the Kangaroos can knock them off.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Tigermonk

History is just that

We spend alot of time focusing on the past at tigerland

Time for the current group to write some history of their own ;D

l agree WP  :thumbsup its time for ther current playing group to not dwell on the past Its time for them to make history like Hawthorn did last year
They have the right crop of players & now they must get the most out of all them players now,  not next year or the year after that it must be this season to make the finals or the window will close like it possibly has with St-Kilda who are the other team l think can win this years big one

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
For what its worth we started 2006 with 0-3 and were in the 8 after round 14.I like to believe that our current list is stronger than the 06 tigers.
However I expect most supporters will be activating the PANIC BUTTON if we lose on Monday.
Unleash the tornado

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
The fact it's happened in 3 of the past 5 years means the odds are in our favour anyway to turn this 0-2 start around if we are good enough. The way the draw has panned out we're probably playing 3 of the eventual top 4 sides in the first 3 weeks.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd