Author Topic: Tough decisions the No.1 priority (Age)  (Read 2937 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tough decisions the No.1 priority (Age)
« on: August 27, 2009, 05:23:16 AM »
Tough decisions the No.1 priority
Jake Niall | August 27, 2009

DAMIEN Hardwick has already made his biggest call, which was to take the Richmond coaching position now, rather than serve two years under Mark Williams before taking the headphones at Port Adelaide.

Over the coming months, he will face a series of hard decisions.

Like a political leader, the choices he makes in his first 100 days might well determine whether he does what none of his predecessors have managed over the past two decades: Revive the Richmond Football Club.

These are the first tough calls ahead of him.

1. How to use Richo:
Matthew Richardson will be offered a contract by the Tigers, and Hardwick made clear yesterday that he wants Richo, the new coach saying he still rated the game's oldest and most loved player among Richmond's top two or three.

Keeping Richo is a decision that was more or less made by the club before Hardwick's arrival, the new coach merely having to give his assent. One would assume that Richo, who said he wanted to play on, doesn't change his mind.

The question remains, however, of how Hardwick intends to deploy the 34-year-old, who revived his career by playing a quasi-midfield role, but who could still be played in his more traditional role as stay-at-home forward, where, despite his errant kicking, some rival clubs believe he poses a greater threat.

2. Jade Rawlings:
One of Hardwick's first tasks will be to sit down with Rawlings and sort out whether the caretaker, who is contracted to remain on the coaching panel in 2010, can be part of his team next year.

If Hardwick feels uncomfortable with the notion of retaining the man who coached the Tigers for 10 games, Rawlings has made it easier for the incoming coach to lower the boom, having expressed doubt about whether the next coach would want him and ambivalence about whether he would want to stay.

While other decisions, especially those involving players, will be made in concert with football operations chief Craig Cameron, the Rawlings' call is very much in the hands of the two coaches.

3. Andrew Raines:
Many list management decisions are no brainers. Delisting Cleve Hughes or Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, for instance, should not exercise Hardwick's mind too much. Joel Bowden and Kane Johnson have retired, Ben Cousins will play on, Nathan Brown almost certainly won't - not at Richmond anyway.

Raines fits the definition of the tough call. He is a player who has disappointed over the past two years, a combination of injuries and poor form contributing to an inexorable decline in his standing since he was placed in the Rising Star Award in 2006.

The sheer number of probable delistings means that Raines is well down the pecking order of those under immediate pressure, though his position isn't assisted by the fact that Jay Schulz, Jordan McMahon and Jake King are all contracted for next year.

He might be put on the trading block, and it's unclear what currency he would hold.

4. Graham Polak:
To delist Polak now, after his surprising return from an induced coma and a brain injury, would be a decision entirely devoid of sentiment - the proverbial Bambi shooting - for few players have can lay claim to such a stirring story. That said, Hardwick's rhetoric suggests he isn't a sentimental bloke.

That there is genuine uncertainty about what Polak can achieve in his recovery might work in his favour. More pertinent perhaps, is the fact that he is a spare parts key position player, and the Tigers don't have many of those.

5. The past players:
Terry Wallace sought to neutralise the political influence of the past players by establishing a mentoring scheme. The apparent philosophy was that better to have them inside the tent and p----g out, than outside the tent and vice versa.

Hardwick seems unlikely to pay much heed to the past players, though he would be wise to make regular appearances on Kevin Bartlett's show on SEN. Hardwick is in a stronger political position than Wallace, by dint of the presence of new chief executive Brendon Gale, assistant coach Wayne Campbell and football director on the board Tony Free - a trio of teammates who can deal with any past player putsch.

6. How deep to cut:
Richmond has a shallow list, with six over 30s, and another 8-10 players who would be delisted at a top-eight club. Hardwick and Cameron could conceivably cut a dozen players in total without blinking. The problem would be finding replacements in a diluted draft pool.

Is Hardwick willing to cut deeper, risking worse results in his first season or two, in the belief that the dead wood must be cleared? This will be one of the calls that defines his tenure as it did for Wallace.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/tough-decisions-the-no1-priority/2009/08/26/1251001942733.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Ramps

Re: Tough decisions the No.1 priority (Age)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 05:38:29 AM »
12 Blokes he can cut without problems because most havent contributed anyway and so the list isnt going to get any worse if they are not on the list. Coughlan is on only because Hardwick said theres no sentiment in footy and the reality is its been a tough 3 years for Coughlan anyway. Polak isnt on the list and he could easily be on this list as well. As we can see theres no shortage of options. Wallace and Miller have left Hardwick with a rabble of a list.

Pettifer
Johnson
Bowden
Simmonds
Brown
Oakley Nicholls
Coughlan
Schulz
Hughes
Pattison
McMahon
Conners

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 09:27:12 AM »
I think 12 is too many in one year
I would be looking to turn over 24-26 players over the next 3 years
10 this year, 8 the next and then 6-8 the next

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:46:05 AM »
12 Blokes he can cut without problems because most havent contributed anyway and so the list isnt going to get any worse if they are not on the list. Coughlan is on only because Hardwick said theres no sentiment in footy and the reality is its been a tough 3 years for Coughlan anyway. Polak isnt on the list and he could easily be on this list as well. As we can see theres no shortage of options. Wallace and Miller have left Hardwick with a rabble of a list.

Pettifer
Johnson
Bowden
Simmonds
Brown
Oakley Nicholls
Coughlan
Schulz
Hughes
Pattison
McMahon
Conners

i agree Ramps but not in letting go Hughes.

id give him one more year in the forward line and keep him there next to Jack

i still think he has something. he has hadly been given a chance thanks to Wallet, unless his issues are off field.

its a shame we cant get rid of Thompson because he looks like another list clogger in the making
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

bushranger

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 10:00:23 AM »
I think no matte is will bring some of us down on him and some will totally agree with it.
Me I will agree with whatever he does as he knows more about what he wants than I do.
Though I will not more than likely agree with him.
And I see Richo not making another game so he will be offered an assistant coaching job.
Like some said before that Richo injury is worse than is being let on. Thus this coaching role will be offered.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:58:29 AM »

Pettifer
Johnson
Bowden
Simmonds
Brown
Oakley Nicholls
Coughlan
Schulz
Hughes
Pattison
McMahon
Conners

Swap Raines for Connors.

Connors has some upside, maybe Hardwick can change his attitude.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »
If Hardwick thinks he can turn Hughes around, then he should stay.  Connors too.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 12:30:36 PM »
Ramps - I agree mostly with your choices but with a few minor exceptions -

My list would be -

retire/delist
1.Johnson
2.Bowden
3.Brown
4.Simmonds

Trade
5.Raines
6.McMahon
7.Schulz
8.Patto (delist otherwise)

Delist
9.Pettifier
10.Coghlan
11.JON

Of those I mentioned to be traded all of them are contracted except for Raines and Patto for next season. I have no doubt Raines will be picked up by another club. We would need to trade for picks to have enough draft options to replace the out going players.

I think there may be some players we attempt to trade this year and players who are kept which may surprise us. I just hope we don't keep Simmonds, Brown or Cogs but that's just me :-X

Stripes. 

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:56:52 PM by Stripes »

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »
Agree with your list Stripes but ........ call it a silly thought if you like but don't be surprised if JON gets a reprieve.  Courage and hardness are not his short suit and Hardwick might just want one crack at him.  Not saying he will, just that it wouldn't surprise.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Agree with your list Stripes but ........ call it a silly thought if you like but don't be surprised if JON gets a reprieve.  Courage and hardness are not his short suit and Hardwick might just want one crack at him.  Not saying he will, just that it wouldn't surprise.

You think smokey?! Do you believe Hardwick will think he has the size to match his endevour? You could be right but I think there is too many deficiencies to JONs game for him to be retained next year but who knows.

It will be interesting to see what he thinks of players like King, who loves the physical stuff but lacks the skills. Lids, McGuane, Moore, Hislop, Rance, Tuck and even Connors should fit his game style. Even little Foley likes to put his head over the ball and Polo like a niggle or too but both lack the body size. Edwards and Collins will definitely need to get on the powder and McMahon will be traded regardless.

Stripes

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 01:11:15 PM »
Even if we were to keep him, I'd delist him and pick him back up in the rookie draft, he's only 21 so is eligible

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »
Think Connors has the prerequisites Hardwick would be after, if he can channel him and enforce his discipline may be the making of this kid. Big keep for mine.

I would be inclined to give Cogs 1 year to see how he goes - Even the best have taken time to get back from knee injuries.

JON could be a smokey for another year also, think he just really didn'y know what he was supposed to be doing out there ! His fault or the coaching staff ? would like to find out if Hardwick can channel him.

Same for Hughes! Think his weakness was his second efforts and 1 % ers - Hardwick will leave him under no illusion as to what will be required to stay on.

Patto and Simmo gone ? Leaves us very short in the ruck but most probably likely they are gone. Part of the short term pain .....

Would say if Hardwick can't get more than a small pack of chicken twisties for McLovin - He may see out his contract on certain proviso's! Know wouldn't that be funny watching this guy trying to be tough  :rollin

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 02:25:47 PM »
Think Connors has the prerequisites Hardwick would be after, if he can channel him and enforce his discipline may be the making of this kid. Big keep for mine.

I would be inclined to give Cogs 1 year to see how he goes - Even the best have taken time to get back from knee injuries.

JON could be a smokey for another year also, think he just really didn'y know what he was supposed to be doing out there ! His fault or the coaching staff ? would like to find out if Hardwick can channel him.

Same for Hughes! Think his weakness was his second efforts and 1 % ers - Hardwick will leave him under no illusion as to what will be required to stay on.

Patto and Simmo gone ? Leaves us very short in the ruck but most probably likely they are gone. Part of the short term pain .....

Would say if Hardwick can't get more than a small pack of chicken twisties for McLovin - He may see out his contract on certain proviso's! Know wouldn't that be funny watching this guy trying to be tough  :rollin

your taking the pee surely??

JON is a smokey for the lead actor role of dumb and dumber 2, thats about it.

JON=Not an AFL Senior Player.

The sooner the club understands that the better our club will be.

Hughes can stay for one more year

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 02:58:49 PM »
your taking the pee surely??

JON is a smokey for the lead actor role of dumb and dumber 2, thats about it.

JON=Not an AFL Senior Player.

The sooner the club understands that the better our club will be.

Hughes can stay for one more year

You're wrong Daniel.

They have already made Dumb and Dumber 2, it's called Dumber and Dumberer, JON would have to star in Dumberer and Dumbest.  :rollin
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

bushranger

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 05:51:48 PM »
Ramps - I agree mostly with your choices but with a few minor exceptions -

My list would be -

retire/delist
1.Johnson
2.Bowden
3.Brown
4.Simmonds

Trade
5.Raines
6.McMahon
7.Schulz
8.Patto (delist otherwise)

Delist
9.Pettifier
10.Coghlan
11.JON

Of those I mentioned to be traded all of them are contracted except for Raines and Patto for next season. I have no doubt Raines will be picked up by another club. We would need to trade for picks to have enough draft options to replace the out going players.

I think there may be some players we attempt to trade this year and players who are kept which may surprise us. I just hope we don't keep Simmonds, Brown or Cogs but that's just me :-X

Stripes. 

This I like as it hasn't got Tuck involved in it. Surely we have to keep him.