Author Topic: Dustin Martin - 300 games [merged]  (Read 937810 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #2430 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:11 PM »
No surprise but Caro tonight said the tweets are Carr's words.

:rollin :rollin

Gee none of us picked that Caro
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2431 on: September 16, 2013, 10:27:42 PM »
Egos destroying the club again  :banghead

It's destroying the club if the club lets it.
I think standing firm is what can help give the club a new identity that the players do not run the club and their job is to play footy and those that run the club are Benny Gale and co whether he leaves or stays. Stay firm Tigers.
Good in theary, but the fact of AFL footy is you have to pay overs to keep your stars/match winners.  Otherwise others will.

The reason Dusty is so good is because he doesn't think like me and you. He is not a robot and I'm tipping him being told who he can be friends with probably has something to do with his decision also.

Star players are wired differently,  99% of  AFL players with ball in hand with someone approaching them dispose of the footy, in Dusty's case he wants the opposition to get closer to him so he can push them away and take them on, it's really rare in a player to think like this and that's what makes him so special. Steve J is in the same mould, he is wired differently but wins Geelong games off his own boot.

And for anyone to bring up Geelong's model is just stupid, the fact is they have won premierships and players want to stay to maybe play in the next one, we cannot even beat Carlton in a final that shouldn't have even been there. Massive difference.

Stay strong Tigers and you'll be average or another 30 years.
IMO, Pick your fights Tigers and be tougher with the other spuds
Anyone that thinks Conca is worth 350k a year is crazy, he is serviceable but has done nothing yet to deserve that sort of money.
Anyway just my take.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2432 on: September 16, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »
Demons coach Roos hasn't spoken with '$600k per year' Martin

By Peter Ryan
afl.com.au
10:11pm AEST Monday, September 16, 2013

DUSTIN Martin at his best is worth $600,000 a year according to new Melbourne coach Paul Roos.

But the Demons coach is yet to sit down with Martin to find out what his intentions are for 2014 and beyond, or whether he might want to play for Melbourne.

The dynamic 22-year-old midfielder who is out of contract shocked the football world on Monday when he told Richmond he wanted to pursue offers from other clubs.

Richmond has been unable to convince the 22-year-old midfielder to agree to terms despite extensive negotiations and released a statement on Monday to express its disappointment at Martin's decision.

Several AFL clubs including Melbourne, the Brisbane Lions and Greater Western Sydney appear willing to talk to Martin.

Speaking on FoxFooty's On the Couch, Roos said he was yet to talk to Martin and had only had text message exchanges with his management.

"We have not put an offer to Dustin Martin at all," Roos said.

He said based on performance Martin would attract between $450,000 to 600,000 per season. However, Roos indicated it was too early to be specific about Melbourne's interest in Martin.

"I feel uncomfortable talking about Dustin because I haven't spoken to him. I haven't spoken to Ralph [Carr, Martin's manager]. He may have already signed with another club. I have no idea.

"Until I actually talk to his management or talk to him ... certainly from our point of view we have done nothing in relation to Dustin Martin," Roos said.

Greater Western Sydney coach Leon Cameron told FoxFooty's AFL360 the Giants were exploring many options leading into the exchange and trading period as they needed to improve dramatically.

"We need to head down that track of exploring all options, and it's not just Dustin Martin," Cameron said.

He described Martin as an exceptional midfielder.

"We need to improve. We need to gain some respect and to do that we need to add some experience to our young list. Our players are craving that to be honest," Cameron said.

Richmond has signed several of its stars in 2013 while continuing to stick to its player payments strategy that puts team above individual.

The Tigers remain adamant that they still hope to retain Martin, who has played 86 games for Richmond.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-16/martin-worth-600k-a-year

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #2433 on: September 16, 2013, 11:03:56 PM »
Roos and Cameron cannot contain themselves. Roos said he hasn't made Dusty an offer yet, then proceeded on national TV to offer him $600 large knowing full well we have offered him 525 and then chucked in Pick 2 as a peace offering to the tiges. Thanks for that Roosy using your dual coaching and national telly exposure to drive up his bargaining price, will look forward to thrashing the Demons that little bit more next year.
I didn't see the Cameron interview but those quotes show he is publically admitting to being desperate for talent and experience, that's telling me Pick 1 is in the offing.
If it's true that the club has withdrawn the contract offer, then these negotiations should have happened today.
Otherwise the club is just foxing too, and as much as I dislike the manager's tactics they should just give him his $575k and be done with it. I can't deal with the thought of him escaping to a Carlton, Collingwood or Melbourne, the thought of it makes me sick.
agree with bigtone about making the spuds pay, and I would spew if we lost Dusty over the price of an entry level Jeep.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2434 on: September 16, 2013, 11:44:28 PM »
Ridiculous from Robbo to suggest that the playing group can easily sway a player when the contract difference is 75-100k worth.

Ridiculous comments. Over 5 years that nearly half a million dollars in difference. If it was 100k over the contract than maybe, but not half a million.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2435 on: September 16, 2013, 11:51:13 PM »
Been away for a while and have missed a few posts.

Anyone have any confirmation on the meaning of Dustin's 'CROSS' goal celebratoin last weekend?

Surely he's not that smart to do a 'no deal' sign?
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2436 on: September 16, 2013, 11:56:21 PM »

Anyone have any confirmation on the meaning of Dustin's 'CROSS' goal celebratoin last weekend?

The "CROSS" signal is a shoutout and show of support for a 'mate' doing time in the big house. It's meant to represent hand-cuffs.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2437 on: September 17, 2013, 12:01:14 AM »

The "CROSS" signal is a shoutout and show of support for a 'mate' doing time in the big house. It's meant to represent hand-cuffs.

Yep 100% understand that. I've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks, surely there is a story behind that? Who was it too? We all found out about Brendan Goddards relative in jail when he did it and Krakour was all over the papers when signalling to his prison in mates... Have I missed the news where the gesture was confirmed to be signalling towards 'John Smith' who is Dustin's mate? Or has it just been assumed?

The 'no deal' sign if true makes an absolute mockery of not only our club but our game..
Go Tigers!

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #2438 on: September 17, 2013, 12:02:18 AM »
Ridiculous from Robbo to suggest that the playing group can easily sway a player when the contract difference is 75-100k worth.

Ridiculous comments. Over 5 years that nearly half a million dollars in difference. If it was 100k over the contract than maybe, but not half a million.

Martins deal we tabeled was for only two years though, so were only talking $150 to 200k which I think is what he was getting at.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2439 on: September 17, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »
Mark Stevens tonight on Talking Footy still reckons Dusty will stay at Richmond.

Stevens said Richmond sees Ralph Carr as a soft target and they called his bluff. They wouldn't have tried this with a Craig Kelly or Paul Connors. Luke Darcy chipped in with it wouldn't happen with another manager as they wouldn't have given Dusty such bad advice. Stevens added that Richmond, by calling their bluff, has put the ball right back in Dusty and Carr's corner. With Dan Richardson being a former player manager, he knows how these things work and Stevens said he expects things will be sorted out and Dusty will stay at Richmond.

Wayne Carey said that would be the best result all round especially for Dusty as did Darcy. They both also said only a top 4 club with its strong culture and leadership could handle Dusty if he were to change clubs. Dusty would run rings around young captains Trengove and Grimes at Melbourne while GWS wasn't the place for Dusty either.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2440 on: September 17, 2013, 12:36:04 AM »
You have to stuff!ng LOL hard at the idea of those pussies Jack Grimes & Trengove trying to contain Dusty.

Roos would be all over it.

I'm still hoping to god he stays. Can't help it...

the claw

« Reply #2441 on: September 17, 2013, 12:44:24 AM »
And just to add 'credible weight' to vindicate Martin's decision, Travis Cloke comes out in support of Dusty's right to choose his club.  Why would Cloke buy in to the issue?  Oh, that's right, he's managed by Carr.   :wallywink

Travis Cloke and Ralph Carr are both wrong, Dustin does not have the right to choose his club, he only has the right to nominate his price and must go to the first club in the pre season draft that is prepared and able to pay it.
Manipulating that system is a breach of the rules.
my understanding is he does not have to nominate for the psd he can opt to go into the nd or both.   where gws would have first dibs at him either way.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2442 on: September 17, 2013, 12:46:07 AM »
And that before paying Carr commission and paying tax.

So whatever the difference is, maybe $100k/year to argue about, Dusty wouldn't only pocket about half of it anyway...

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #2443 on: September 17, 2013, 12:52:21 AM »
And just to add 'credible weight' to vindicate Martin's decision, Travis Cloke comes out in support of Dusty's right to choose his club.  Why would Cloke buy in to the issue?  Oh, that's right, he's managed by Carr.   :wallywink

Travis Cloke and Ralph Carr are both wrong, Dustin does not have the right to choose his club, he only has the right to nominate his price and must go to the first club in the pre season draft that is prepared and able to pay it.
Manipulating that system is a breach of the rules.
my understanding is he does not have to nominate for the psd he can opt to go into the nd or both.   where gws would have first dibs at him either way.

That is correct Clawski but he would have to nominate GWS as his prefered club to get there that way. And to be perfectly honest I can't see GWS not wanting to try and do some form of deal to get it done before it got to that. The best possible scenario would be if Martin nominated any other club as his prefered destination, this would put the ball back in our court bargaining wise.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2444 on: September 17, 2013, 12:52:24 AM »
Guess it depends on whether or not he hates RFC then.

Wish Dan Connors never stepped foot in our club. Need to be smarter about drafting wankers.