Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1076884 times)

gerkin greg

Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #2565 on: September 19, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »
billy longer, is he the kid that wanted to dance?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2566 on: September 19, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »
billy longer, is he the kid that wanted to dance?
Nah. That's Billy Shorter.  ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2567 on: September 19, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »
Martin needs strong mentor

David Schwarz   
Geelong Advertiser
September 19th, 2013

Handcuffed and locked up after being found passed out in a Wangaratta backyard on Christmas Eve in 2006 was the turning point for Steve Johnson.

He'd been the larrikin boozer who was at Geelong for a good time. He drank too much too often. He broke both his ankles jumping off a pub roof in 2003 and has endured eight operations on them since.

Collingwood had looked at picking Johnson but knocked him back after he failed a fitness test.

But that Christmas with the cops was the end of the line for the big drinker.

Johnson was taught some tough lessons about behaviour, privilege and pride.

Geelong could see something in him, but he couldn't see it in himself.

The Cats needed to be firm with him. He needed a strong mentor to get him on the right track because he was headed to nowhere.

After a club-imposed suspension, the tide started to turn. It took until 2008 before he completed his first full pre-season.

He has really blossomed since, learning that he holds the key to his future.

Richmond's Dustin Martin is where Stevie J was eight years ago. Lost off the field, lost within his club and with his name on the trade table.

I don't want Martin to be found passed out in a country town, I want him to show faith in a mentor who has his interests at heart.

He's had a troubled upbringing. But there comes a time when people need to act for the future, and this is the time for Dustin.

I fear that he is being managed very badly.

The Tigers have put so much time into him and he needs to repay them.

The club is going places. He just played in a final. Next year it might be two or three.

The Tigers put a great deal on the table for him.

At 22, why would he sneeze at $500,000 a year? He should be thankful to be gifted an environment to develop into a better person.

But his manager, Ralph Carr, has not done his client any favours.

I know Richmond will not offer Martin the same money again. The club is only going down in price.

Carr is only new in the player management business after years in music. He started with about a dozen clients and now has four.

Carr needs to recognise that Dustin isn't your average footballer. He's hung out with crooks and been out far too late at parties during important times for the club.

The Tigers have had mentors in place for him. They've had minders. He's lived with the club president.

They would be disappointed if for the sake of $50,000 all that work was to be undone.

It would be great if Martin could have a chat with Stevie J - an open conversation about the privileges he's been gifted.

I'm sure Richmond assistant coach Mark Williams has been a strong voice this year for Martin.

And sometimes it can take just one constant person to reiterate what's required.

When I was playing, we had a prodigious talent in Travis Johnstone come to the club.

He was troubled, but Demons champion Stephen Tingay took him under his wing and guided him through some tough times.

I can only imagine how bad it could have gotten for Johnston if Stinga wasn't beside him.

I don't want to suggest which Richmond players need to buddy up with Martin because I'm sure some have tried and been rejected.

But what Dustin must do is seek the counsel of someone who has only his best interests at heart.

Stevie J has gone on to play in three winning grand final sides and win a Norm Smith Medal.

I'd love to see Dustin up there one day too, not unconscious in someone's backyard. Or worse.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/09/19/373276_news.html

the claw

« Reply #2568 on: September 19, 2013, 06:14:28 PM »
Adams and #9

Then I will abuse Dustin Martin every single GWS home game for the rest of his miserable life

Don't want dusty to go but if he did could live with this deal, would expect though Adams plus second rounder
agree.  sure hope he stays. but if he goes we will go adams and likely pick 20. cant see em offering up pick 9 and a potential elite player in adams.

if we keep martin i cant see us getting adams. collingwood are heavily into him apparently and they have a better pick to offer.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #2569 on: September 19, 2013, 06:21:08 PM »
Adams and #9

Then I will abuse Dustin Martin every single GWS home game for the rest of his miserable life

Don't want dusty to go but if he did could live with this deal, would expect though Adams plus second rounder
agree.  sure hope he stays. but if he goes we will go adams and likely pick 20. cant see em offering up pick 9 and a potential elite player in adams.

if we keep martin i cant see us getting adams. collingwood are heavily into him apparently and they have a better pick to offer.

I don't think GWS will be to fussed over picks for Adams, it will be who has the best senior player up for grabs. I'm not sure who Collingwood had to offer but I would be putting Foley on the table. Adams for Foley would be a win win for both clubs.

gerkin greg

« Reply #2570 on: September 19, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »
Foley for Adams would be a MASSIVE win

RFC don't have massive wins

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2571 on: September 19, 2013, 06:25:50 PM »
Adams and #9

I don't think GWS will be to fussed over picks for Adams, it will be who has the best senior player up for grabs. I'm not sure who Collingwood had to offer but I would be putting Foley on the table. Adams for Foley would be a win win for both clubs.

Loui i mentioned on another thread we have failed here in signing Foley for 3 years. Mid year too :banghead :banghead

Putting that aside, i doubt it wouldve been a like for like with Adams but certainly would've helped our bargaining power.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

gerkin greg

« Reply #2572 on: September 19, 2013, 06:27:46 PM »
Foley being contracted is meaningless Daniel

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2573 on: September 19, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »
Good write, Ox. :thumbsup
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2574 on: September 19, 2013, 06:30:54 PM »
Foley being contracted is meaningless Daniel

i know what your saying and i hope you are right, but odds are against him moving.

How often does a player jump ship after just signing a contract

as coach said earlier its very Craig Cameron like to sign him for 3 years.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2575 on: September 19, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »
Robbo on SEN just now mentioned that Brisbane's offer to Dusty is $650 p.a. over 4 years.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2576 on: September 19, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »
Leuburger  :pray

dwaino

« Reply #2577 on: September 19, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »
Longer pls

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2578 on: September 19, 2013, 06:45:23 PM »
Robbo on SEN just now mentioned that Brisbane's offer to Dusty is $650 p.a. over 4 years.
That's what he was after.  We offered him $580K.  Probably off to Brisbane then..........
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #2579 on: September 19, 2013, 06:47:35 PM »
Longer pls

id take longer and their first pick