Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1076968 times)

tony_montana

Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #2610 on: September 19, 2013, 11:24:37 PM »
I'll reserve judgement until I hear what $$$ he'll be leaving us for.

One thing I did notice, SOS backed him harder publicly than we ever have. Maybe we didnt handle him as we'll as we like to think? Having the leadership group publicly talking about keeping him on the straight and narrow in the media, couldn't have helped endearing him to them...

Gigantor

« Reply #2611 on: September 19, 2013, 11:36:38 PM »
Tony I think our club has gone above and beyond for Dustin.If Sos thinks they can handle it better and differently then that's fine too.
it just amazes me no end that a club on the cusp of great things is ditched by a man who I think owes us .But I guess in todays world such things as loyalty and mateship are no longer priorities.

I should qualify and say he hasn't ditched us yet

tony_montana

« Reply #2612 on: September 19, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
Tony I think our club has gone above and beyond for Dustin.If Sos thinks they can handle it better and differently then that's fine too.
it just amazes me no end that a club on the cusp of great things is ditched by a man who I think owes us .But I guess in todays world such things as loyalty and mateship are no longer priorities.

I should qualify and say he hasn't ditched us yet

I have no doubt they have, and i think hes gone about this very poorly... But I think it was a mistake for Cotch, Newman, Dimma to publicly say things like he needs structure to stay on the straight and narrow, can't be bored etc etc. These are private things to be discussed privately not aired publicly. When I first heard it last preseason It raised my eyebrow, since then its been talked about multiple times. I just don't think that was the right way to go about it. Ive also never once heard us stick up for him like SOS did, things like that have an impact on young impressionable kids' personas. All I'm saying is there seems to be shed loads of backslapping going on about how good we've been, but maybe we haven't.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2613 on: September 20, 2013, 12:54:16 AM »
Jon Ralph from the Herald-Sun ...

The Tigers still believe they can keep Martin but for now have taken their offer for the 22-year-old off the table while he negotiates with other clubs.

Martin and his manager, Ralph Carr, yesterday flew to Sydney and met with a delegation of Greater Western Sydney officials after flying to Sydney.

In Sydney, Martin and Carr were met by GWS senior coach Leon Cameron, list manager Stephen Silvagni and chief executive David Matthews, touring Skoda Stadium and the club’s Sydney Olympic Park training facilities.

Martin’s father lives in Camden in southwest Sydney and, while GWS is keen, it has not offered Martin a deal.

The Giants let Richmond know they were talking to Martin yesterday, and must decide whether to make an ­official offer for the controversial Tiger.

The Tigers had tired of four months of frustrating negotiations talks with Carr, who is desperate keen to extract $600,000 a season for his starclient.

It is understood the Tigers do not have an offer on the table for Martin at present given the contract impasse.

The Tigers still want to sign Martin but a two-year deal of about $1 million has been withdrawn, with negotiations to start anew if he chooses Richmond as his preferred home.

They still want to sign Martin, but grew frustrated by Carr’s negotiating tactics and the fact they believed they were on the verge of an agreement before the latest developments.

While Brisbane has expressed early interest, it is still unlikely to push hard for Martin given his off-field troubles and salary requirements.

The Lions are not officially out of the race but given they do not have a coach and are still recovering from the Brendan Fevola trade, they are long odds for a concerted bid for Martin.

It remains to be seen if ­Martin would relocate to Sydney if he was paid less than $600,000. It means it is effectively the Giants or bust for Martin has denied walking out on Richmond but says he is actively pursuing other offers.

The GWS interest is concerning for Richmond given it has the first pick in the ­preseason draft and could get him for nothing if he walks.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/out-of-contract-richmond-star-dustin-martin-jets-out-for-sydney/story-fnfll94y-1226722549552

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2614 on: September 20, 2013, 01:01:08 AM »
Even if Dusty wants to stay you have to wonder if he has the strength of character to crawl back with his tail between his legs.

2 to 1 says he's gone and whoever we get for him we'll still be screwed. Dusty is a rare talent.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2615 on: September 20, 2013, 01:07:45 AM »
Giants zero in on Martin

Andrew Wu, Sydney
     The Age
    September 20, 2013

Greater Western Sydney chief David Matthews has described Dustin Martin as a ''very sincere young man'' after giving the out-of-contract Richmond star a guided tour of the club's facilities on Thursday.

Matthews was particularly impressed by Martin despite the 22-year-old's history of off-field problems during his short and promising career, but said the club still needed to conduct its due diligence on the player like it does with any prospective recruit.

''I thought he spoke well, presents well, he seems like a lot of young people - the game gives a lot of young people from a variety of backgrounds an opportunity and they all develop in different ways,'' Matthews said.

''I was impressed, he spoke very sensibly. To me he seems a very sincere young man.''

Martin - whose father lives in Sydney - and his manager Ralph Carr were shown around Skoda Stadium and the club's training base at Sydney Olympic Park on Thursday by Matthews, list manager Stephen Silvagni, coach Leon Cameron and football manager Graeme Allan.

Matthews said there was no discussion about contracts or remuneration, describing the day as ''nothing more formal than a meet and greet''.

''It's not unlike the process we anticipate going through with a number of players that might be interested in moving as their seasons finish,'' Matthews said.

''He wanted to find out a bit more about the club.

''He's unknown to us, we wanted to take the opportunity to get to know him.''

Martin's future is clouded after he informed Richmond earlier this week of his desire to field offers from other clubs.

The Giants, coming off a poor season, have made no secret of their wish to secure ready-made players either in their prime or approaching it to complement their highly talented but inexperienced young list.

Martin has also been linked to the Brisbane Lions but the Giants, if interested, are in the box seat to snare the player as they have first pick in the pre-season draft if a trade cannot be agreed upon with Richmond.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/giants-zero-in-on-martin-20130919-2u2i7.html#ixzz2fLqOc7Ia

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2616 on: September 20, 2013, 02:19:05 AM »
Greg Denham in the Australian...

The intrigue surrounding Dustin Martin's future intensified yesterday when he and his manager met Greater Western Sydney about a change of environment.

With negotiations at a stalemate at Richmond, the out-of-contract midfielder is fielding offers from rival clubs.

Brisbane and the Giants have expressed an interest in Martin, who is expected to make a decision next week.

It is understood that Richmond has reached a point where it is preparing for his departure after running out of patience with the 22-year-old.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-is-keen-to-talk-to-nick-dal-santo/story-fnca0u4y-1226723118797#sthash.CP1ehvbB.dpuf

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2617 on: September 20, 2013, 02:40:51 AM »
Port Adelaide champion Warren Tredrea urges Richmond to part ways with star Dustin Martin

Warren Tredrea
    September 19, 2013

CUT Dustin Martin free and you won't look back.

That is my message to the Richmond Football Club.

On the field, Martin is a young star of the highest quality. Off the field, he is a ticking time bomb.

That’s why the Tigers must be ruthless and hold firm by not overpaying him.

As dominant and explosive as the 187cm, 89kg midfielder is, he has a lot of growing up to do.

With 86 games under his belt since being drafted at No. 3 at the 2009 national draft, Martin should be shooting to superstardom with 60,000 Tiger fans cheering his every move.

But late Monday it was revealed that he wanted to pursue offers from rival clubs.

In other words, he is chasing a huge payday.

I feel sorry for Richmond.

It has supported the erratic Martin through thick and thin.

It has paid him well above his market rate for the past few years and only now is Martin beginning to fulfil his part of the bargain on the field.

As brilliant as he is, Martin has lacked consistency and the Tigers’ offer of $1 million over two years is fair.

Martin should have signed on the dotted line as soon as that deal was put to him.

Martin’s fellow Richmond stars Jack Riewoldt, Brett Deledio and skipper Trent Cotchin have all re-signed at Tigerland for less money than they could have received elsewhere.

Apart from the money, you have to question what Martin wants out of football.

Richmond appears to be on the verge of something special, so surely "Dusty’s" best shot at winning a premiership is to stay where he is.

By putting himself on the open market, Martin has snubbed his club and teammates and shown that a flag might not be that important to him.

Every premiership team consists of players who could have earned more cash elsewhere.

But to be successful good players need to stay together, which means sacrificing money so clubs can stay under the salary cap and keep their best players.

If it’s all right for Riewoldt, Deledio and Cotchin to buy in, why not the other member of the "Core Four", Martin?

The gamebreaker is treating Richmond — a club which has done so much for him — with contempt.

Off the field, Martin is no angel.

He has a long list of off-field indiscretions which go back to his school years.

The Tigers have had to suspend him for failing to attend training sessions and have gone out of their way to keep him on the straight and narrow, including having development coach Mark Williams take him under his wing this year.

This appeared to have worked, with Martin enjoying a career-best season.

Staying at Richmond where the club has established a valuable support network for him could be vital in Martin fulfilling his potential.

I worry that his manager isn’t handling the situation well.

Ralph Carr is the same man who oversaw Travis Cloke’s public contract saga last year.

Someone needed to tell Cloke to bite his tongue rather than run a public commentary on his contract status, which inflamed his situation and put unnecessary pressure on the struggling big man.

Martin not only needs a manager who can negotiate a good financial deal but, more importantly, someone who recognises how good his client has it at Richmond.

With the former star Tiger and current chief executive Brendon Gale rebuilding the club, it appears destined for continued success both on and off the field.

Importantly, they have 60,000 paid-up members and major sponsors who have just recommitted, allowing the Tiges to invest heavily in their football department.

With regular support mechanisms in place for Martin, coach Damien Hardwick can’t do any more to help the excitement machine prosper.

Williams even tried to teach Martin life skills to help him better cope both now and in the future.

But Martin appears to have thumbed his nose at it all.

All for what, on the surface, appears to be about an extra $100,000 a season.

His decision is a poor one.

Hopefully Martin quickly comes to his senses and realises the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

A quick reversal in attitude would give him the chance to still become a Tiger folk hero.

But Richmond needs a quick and clear answer.

Anymore toing and froing and it just has to cut its losses and set Martin free.

Actions speak louder than words and if the Tigers can pick up a top draft pick for Martin, spend the extra cash in their salary cap wisely and continue to create a strong culture, they could set up a decade of success.

One disgruntled player must not be allowed to undo all the good work the Richmond hierarchy has performed to get this proud club, which has been in the wilderness for so long, back into a position to contend for a flag again.

It’s time for a tough decision at Punt Rd.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-champion-warren-tredrea-urges-richmond-to-part-ways-with-star-dustin-martin/story-fndv8s6g-1226722248671#mm-breached

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2618 on: September 20, 2013, 02:48:43 AM »
From Tiger71 on BF:

"I had a fairly long chat with my source tonight. I am not going to rehash old news as most get the picture of how the negotiations broke down etc. Firstly and ill say this again, Conca is a lock which is fantastic. Secondly Dusty has till EOB Friday to give us his answer, if he does not we trade him.

My source believes and trust me he would know. That GWS are considering Dusty and have not made a decision as of yet. Also todays circus was exactly that, a circus ( It was more to show the world that "Hey players want to come to us!" from GWS and Carr " "Hey Richmond we are serious!"). If Buddy is going to GWS then there is no way, none that they will take Dusty and also Fisher on. So they have a lot to work through. They will trade Adams, we actually have a solid working relationship with GWS. People forget Choco is well respected over there.

Choco has given his old employer his opinion on what's best for Dusty, that carried a lot of weight from what I have been told. Our players went hammer and tong today giving Dusty a clear message. If he does not accept the deal before him he will be gone as they players will not want him back. One of the reasons I believe richo came out today and spoke.

From my source the club still has not given up hope that Dusty will see sense but they also have plans set in place if he does go. The coaching group believes we are so close with player personnel to being a consistent finals side that will threaten to make a GF.

The thing that gave me most confidence. We have planned for the day if we had to replace Dusty this since the Connor's incident.

Lastly when I asked whats to stop GWS asking Dusty to go into the PSD the answer was simple. All he said to me was "Choco and Leon will make sure if we do trade dusty and I stress he said IF, they will make sure a fair deal is done".

Make of that what you will."

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-dustin-martin-contract-limbo-thread-dusty-meets-with-gws.1032410/page-121#post-30229414

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2619 on: September 20, 2013, 06:53:50 AM »
Monday the RFC called Carr's bluff

Reckon part of yesterday's "little adventure" included Carr trying to call the RFC's bluff.

Someone must have tipped off the media about trip etc.... the games people play

Some do it better than others  :rollin ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2620 on: September 20, 2013, 07:26:56 AM »
Thought it was really good of Richo to come out and say what he did. Hopefully that sways Martin. Thought article from Tredrea makes clear what the football world think of the situation. When a multitude of people who are respected in the football world are saying you are receiving poor advice from your manager it is time to start listening

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2621 on: September 20, 2013, 07:37:29 AM »
I just hope dusty re signs  :thumbsup
Cotch, lids, martin, conca, tigger, ellis, adams and arnott.... whoa   :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2622 on: September 20, 2013, 08:25:54 AM »
Thought it was really good of Richo to come out and say what he did. Hopefully that sways Martin. Thought article from Tredrea makes clear what the football world think of the situation. When a multitude of people who are respected in the football world are saying you are receiving poor advice from your manager it is time to start listening

Agree

And when people that some think are usually morons are saying the same things (eg Darcy) and more importantly are making sense with what they say, then the message and sentiment is very clear.

I don't think I've not heard one person in football, who has played the game at AFL level say the kid is doing the right thing.

And I don't think I've ever heard so many people in footy be so critical of a manager as they have been with Ralph Carr

In a word - DAMNING 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:03:29 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2623 on: September 20, 2013, 08:32:49 AM »
When was the last time a player took a "tour" of another club in a town where his dad lives and decided against leaving

His gone for all money
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2624 on: September 20, 2013, 08:49:36 AM »
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....