Author Topic: Dustin Martin - 300 games [merged]  (Read 933152 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6735 on: May 26, 2024, 02:46:14 PM »
Daisy has a message for those writing off Dusty

https://x.com/triplemfooty/status/1794325875103838527

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6736 on: May 27, 2024, 07:59:47 PM »
However much you think you hate the AFL, it's not nearly enough:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/05/27/tigers-and-afl-at-odds-over-media-shy-dustys-300th-game/

:thumbsdown
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6737 on: May 27, 2024, 08:27:37 PM »

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/05/27/tigers-and-afl-at-odds-over-media-shy-dustys-300th-game/

i personally think RC is the best manager in the country. He like his client cant stand the wokeness that is the afl and corruptness that is the media.

Hope they stick to their guns.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6738 on: May 27, 2024, 09:08:07 PM »
The AFL media can shove it. All the bs stories and articles they’ve written about him over the years.

RFC should and will pay every cent of that fine and dusty can give them another 2 fingered salute.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6739 on: May 27, 2024, 09:22:02 PM »

i personally think RC is the best manager in the country. He like his client cant stand the wokeness that is the afl and corruptness that is the media.

I used to think he was a tosser but after seeing the way he had managed Dusty I have nothing but praise.

Jerry McGuire vibes.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6740 on: May 27, 2024, 09:42:33 PM »
Nah he is definitely a tosser.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6741 on: May 27, 2024, 09:46:40 PM »

I used to think he was a tosser but after seeing the way he had managed Dusty I have nothing but praise.

Jerry McGuire vibes.

Same. Couldnt agree more.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6742 on: May 27, 2024, 10:30:32 PM »
Huge knob, but great manager. If I'm Dusty I'm full praise of Ralph.

Id like the club to do an interview with Dusty and do it internally, send to members first then send to media outlets to report on.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6743 on: May 28, 2024, 01:01:59 AM »
‘Made a statement’: Vintage Dusty of old returns... and the role he could play ‘as long as he wants’

Dylan Bolch
Fox Sports
May 27th, 2024

Dreamtime at the ‘G unlocked vintage Dusty.

A throwback performance from Richmond superstar Dustin Martin against the Bombers on Saturday night well and truly gave the Tigers faithful something to smile about in what has been a bleak season.

Despite questions around his longevity popping up in recent weeks, North Melbourne champion David King believes Dustin Martin still has plenty to give at Punt Road.

“Richmond fans say thanks for the memories, it was great to revisit old Dusty one more time,” King said.

“This is the reason why we go to the footy, let’s not slam the brakes on these guys too much, he’s a star.

“He was back to his ball-hunting best, when he was around the action he wanted possession, he’s hard to tackle, he’s hard to stop.”

King highlighted vision of Martin utilising space behind the defence to pick apart Essendon’s backline.

“He was just awesome, we talk about the paddock, this is Dusty’s domain, this is where he wants to be,” he said.

“He made them pay at every opportunity.

“I don’t think there’s a player in the game that plays this role better than Dusty.

“In behind the last line, commanding the position, knowing when to release and get involved.”

While he may have dropped off from his Brownlow Medal winning form of years gone by, St Kilda champion Leigh Montagna believes Martin can continue playing the role King outlined for “however long he wants to”.

“Some of the conversation around if Richmond should even offer him a contract was well and truly over the top,” he said.

“While he’s not having his best season, he’s coming off his peak, but he’s still so valuable to the Richmond Football Club.”

Martin looked back to his best against the Bombers, recording 23 disposals, eight score involvements while kicking 3.2.

A superb finish from the boundary line by the three-time Norm Smith Medallist had the Richmond fans out of their seat.

“I just reckon this one meant a bit more to him than other goals he’s kicked in recent times, he wanted to make a statement,” King said.

Montagna used a comparison to Geelong superstar Gryan Miers, who many believes is in All-Australian contention this season, to highlight the impact Martin is having in 2024.

Miers has averaged 22 disposals, 7.1 score involvements and 0.9 goals per game this campaign, only marginally better than Martin’s 19.4 disposals, 6.8 score involvements and 0.8 goals per game.

“Just to give some context, I’m not saying he’s having the year of Gryan Miers or he’s absolutely flying, but he’s having some impact,” he said.

“I just think he’s so valuable, it’s up to him how long he wants to play for.”

Regardless of how much longer Dusty goes on, one thing is for sure, he’s certainly delivered many great memories for the Richmond faithful.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/made-a-statement-vintage-dusty-of-old-returns-and-the-role-he-could-play-as-long-as-he-wants/news-story/7959824146b98571d158986d163f69c4

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6744 on: May 28, 2024, 01:03:45 AM »
Why Leigh Matthews believes Dustin Martin still has 'value' despite Tigers rebuild

By Anna Pavlou
Nine
27 May 2024

Leigh Matthews believes Richmond veteran Dustin Martin is still a major value to the struggling Tigers side, despite their dismal 1-10 start to the season.

It comes after it was revealed that Martin will not conduct any interviews ahead of his 300th AFL game for Richmond.

It's been a difficult year for the 32-year-old, with his mega nine-year contract coming to an end as his future in the game comes under the microscope.

Despite his recent slump in form, Martin showed he still had it in the Tigers' narrow 12-point loss to Essendon in round 11.

He collected 23 disposals and kicked three goals, almost willing the rebuilding Tigers over the line against a high-flying Bombers outfit, who currently sit second on the ladder.

Matthews praised the three-time premiership hero, acknowledging that the "ageing process" has naturally slowed down his game, but not ended it.

"The ageing process is on his shoulders," Matthew said on Nine's Footy Furnace on Sunday night.

"What the ageing process means is that you play less good games and more poor games.

"I think that's where Dusty is in his career. But last night was one of his good games."

The Australian football great is confident that Martin still has plenty to offer Richmond, despite suggestions he may want to retire come season's end, after he reaches the 300-game milestone.

"The criticism of Dusty not being the Dusty of his prime, is correct. But that doesn't mean he can't still be of value," Matthew said.

"Whether it's just for this season or it's another season, who knows."

Martin is just two games away from reaching 300.

9News Melbourne's chief football reporter Tom Morris added that the 32-year-old is still heavily "invested" in his club, despite coach Adem Yze hinting that the side, who sit 1-10 after 11 rounds, could be in a rebuild.

"My information is that he's entirely invested behind the scenes. Far more than even he was last year," Morris said.

"He's not that old. I still think if he wants to, he has a lot to offer."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2024-dustin-martin-richmond-contract-talks-retirement-300-games-leigh-matthews/57bfb832-77fe-4a0a-8f8a-dd90f90ebfee

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6745 on: May 28, 2024, 01:04:44 AM »
TIGERS AND AFL AT ODDS OVER MEDIA-SHY DUSTY'S 300TH GAME

By Sam Edmund
SEN
27 May 2024

THE AFL and Richmond could be on a collision course over the recognition of Dustin Martin’s 300th game.

Martin is due to hit the milestone at Adelaide Oval in Round 13 against the Crows, although he could yet be managed to ensure the MCG hosts the occasion against Hawthorn the following week.

Regardless, the AFL’s preference is for the media-shy superstar to conduct a press conference as it looks to enforce media-access clauses written into the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

But the Tigers are opposed to a Martin press conference, pointing to the fact this isn’t want Martin would want, nor would it bring the best out of him.

The Brownlow medallist, triple premiership player and three-time Norm Smith medallist has always guarded his privacy and granted precious few interview requests throughout his 15-year career.

That has not changed this year, players and clubs face fines of $10,000 and $20,000 respectively if they repeatedly refuse to do interviews under CBA rules.

With the new Seven and Foxtel broadcast deal worth $4.5 billion, the league has been mindful that some clubs had made media access to their star players difficult.

Specifically, clause 2.6 of the non-match day media access agreement states each club’s playing group must be made available for 45 minutes within two days of their match.

However, it would appear inconceivable the AFL would look to fine Martin – one of the most decorated players of his generation.

The Tigers are working on alternative media commitments for Martin the build-up to his 300th game, but at this stage it’s unclear on what they are or whether the AFL would be satisfied by them.

The league was known to be irritated by Lance Franklin’s refusal to take part in a press conference when he retired suddenly from the game last year.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6746 on: May 28, 2024, 12:34:59 PM »
Disgusting clause forcing a player to be interviewed under the threat of financial consequence.

Some of them just aren't cut out for it and Dusty owes the media SFA after the way they have hounded him basically his entire career.

F them

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6747 on: May 28, 2024, 12:50:15 PM »
Disgusting clause forcing a player to be interviewed under the threat of financial consequence.

Some of them just aren't cut out for it and Dusty owes the media SFA after the way they have hounded him basically his entire career.

F them

Yes starting with the chopsticks scenario.  Hopefully the club pays the fine, in fact i think they should enabling Dusty to give them the finger.

You think these 2 are stupid. I dont.

RC is a very smart businessman as is Dusty. They own many commercial properties in Richmond and dont need the AFL's stupid media committements.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6748 on: May 28, 2024, 02:06:18 PM »
Started way before the chopstickgate ..they were into him from moment he was drafted....his old man, the neck tatts, didn't smile enough.....remember his very first press conference and our media manager had to step in and tell the gutter rats to pull up...and then she copped it for swearing at the pricks... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6749 on: May 28, 2024, 02:35:49 PM »
Started way before the chopstickgate ..they were into him from moment he was drafted....his old man, the neck tatts, didn't smile enough.....remember his very first press conference and our media manager had to step in and tell the gutter rats to pull up...and then she copped it for swearing at the pricks... :shh

HAHAHAHAHAHA Yes i remember that. Well the part of the media manager stepping in. Wasnt sure which game that was.