Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 942984 times)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dustin Martin - 300 games [merged]
« Reply #6960 on: June 18, 2024, 12:35:11 AM »
Okay gunna cop it but it was Dusty's 300th and he bloody struggled. No point just having a go at his mates need to be honest and just say he was poor in this game.
In years gone by he has made a reputation for himself by rising to the occasion. He clearly is no where near the player he was.

To be honest I’m not that surprised. He plays better for other people than for himself. As mentioned numerous times, he plays for premierships and not brownlows. He had a great one for dream time probably for Rioli and the indigenous boys and he had 31 and kicked 3 for cotchin and riewoldts last.

It a a big if but if he can be motivated to help properly launch a new rebuild and if there was someone in the club he could connect with on the same level as cotch I reckon he could easily be a 400 gamer but I can’t help but get retirement vibes from him after that heartfelt address to the crowd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6961 on: June 18, 2024, 07:23:17 AM »
"Richmond are waiting for Dustin Martin to come to them."

Caroline Wilson gives an update on Dusty's future.

https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1802646661522731292

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6962 on: June 20, 2024, 07:58:10 AM »
SUNS’ OFFER FOR DUSTY REVEALED

Gold Coast is willing to pay Dustin Martin just above the average AFL wage in 2025, should he be keen to continue his career under Damien Hardwick.

The Suns have been linked to a move for Dusty for some time, should the 300-game superstar choose to play on rather than retire as a one-club player.

But given the Suns’ need to pay their emerging suite of young stars, they won’t be breaking the bank for Dusty, according to the Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph.

“The question is whether Dustin’s willing to play on an average wage,” he said on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“If he’s not prepared to, then Gold Coast isn’t a suitor. Their interest is about a 6.5 out of 10. They’d pay him around $500-600 grand.

“But if he wants two or three years guaranteed, (or) if he wants $700 grand, then that’d be a no.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2024-latest-trade-whispers-rumours-news-chad-warner-fremantle-offer-16-million-a-year-contract-gold-coast-suns-offer-for-dustin-martin/news-story/01a51a611c6b05a7622ae888eec86bd3

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6963 on: June 20, 2024, 02:08:52 PM »
I’d give him a couple of years at $400-500k with a chunk of marketing thrown in. He’s a once a generation player. Frankly, it’s not going to cost us salary cap given the current list and what the rest are worth.

He brought in 40,000 on Saturday and effectively paid for a third of his salary in gate receipts.

s I’ve previously said, trade Tom Lynch and most of his salary to a desperate club like Melbourne for a first rounder.

“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6964 on: June 20, 2024, 03:17:43 PM »
If he went to GC on that amount would it be a trade or free agency and would we get anything in return like draft picks??

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6965 on: June 20, 2024, 04:16:11 PM »
he is an unrestricted free agent

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6966 on: June 20, 2024, 04:44:59 PM »
I'd offer him 1 year if he wants to stay but not on big money.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6967 on: June 21, 2024, 08:04:37 AM »
Taranto 'pretty confident' Dusty will return after bye

By AAP
20 June 2024

AMID ongoing speculation around Dustin Martin's playing future, Richmond teammate Tim Taranto is hopeful the superstar will return to Punt Road after the mid-season bye.

Some onlookers took Martin's emotional send-off after his 300th AFL game – a loss to Hawthorn last week – as a possible farewell to the Tiger Army.

The triple Norm Smith medallist went some way towards quashing those thoughts in a rare interview with the television broadcaster after the match.

Yet questions remain about whether it will prove to be Martin's final appearance in a Richmond jumper.

"I'm pretty confident it's not," Taranto said on Thursday.

"I mean, you never really know, but Dusty will do what Dusty will do.

"I think he'll keep playing for the rest of the year."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1154528/tim-taranto-pretty-confident-dustin-martin-will-return-after-bye-for-richmond-tigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6968 on: June 21, 2024, 05:09:35 PM »
From Barrett's Sliding Doors column:

IF ...
seemingly everyone with even a passing interest in football has drawn positively from Dusty's "yeah mate, freshen up for the bye and we'll see how we go" line after his 300th match last weekend ...

THEN ...
everyone will nevertheless want to see him training regularly next week to be assured that we will, indeed, see him again on a footy ground in 2024. The aura, the mystery, the intrigue continues, even after he took the unusual step of speaking into a microphone.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1153970/sliding-doors-if-you-could-argue-tyson-stengle-owes-it-to-geelong-cats-to-stay-then

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #6969 on: June 21, 2024, 07:24:37 PM »
Give him 2 more years and make him captain.  :gotigers
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #6970 on: June 21, 2024, 07:47:04 PM »

Captain-Coach.... :clapping
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6971 on: June 21, 2024, 08:00:50 PM »

Imagine the post game presser lol

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #6972 on: June 21, 2024, 09:50:03 PM »

Imagine the post game presser lol

Can imagine the fines.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6973 on: June 22, 2024, 06:27:15 PM »
From last night. The media once again trying to dress up their baseless claims as news  ::).

The future of Tigers superstar Dustin Martin is still the hottest topic in footy. @TheoDrop has the latest. #7NEWS
https://x.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1804075084514017750

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6974 on: June 22, 2024, 08:27:25 PM »
From last night. The media once again trying to dress up their baseless claims as news  ::).

The future of Tigers superstar Dustin Martin is still the hottest topic in footy. @TheoDrop has the latest. #7NEWS
https://x.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1804075084514017750

Was back at training today as expected

Media continuing to show how clueless they are. Their collective need to create a story is shameless

Clearly, they don't understand the concept of loyalty and a blokes word  :shh

Dusty will play out the season

« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 10:16:54 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)