Author Topic: Richard Tambling threads [merged]  (Read 132685 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tambling - A hard story told with grace (The Australian)
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2008, 10:25:01 AM »
Know the man, understand the quality......

I've said it before and I will sat it again

A quality young man is Richie Tambling... the rest takes care of itself :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Tambling - A hard story told with grace (The Australian)
« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »
champion bloke, soon to be afl champion  :gotigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Reality hits hard for Tambling (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2008, 02:57:24 AM »
Reality hits hard for Tambling
Jon Ralph | March 10, 2008

RICHARD Tambling can't quite put his finger on when, but at some stage after he arrived in Melbourne football stopped being fun.

Back in 2005 the Northern Territory junior prodigy rode into Punt Rd ona wave of hype, assuming fame andform would flow as easily as they hadin his junior days.

Then reality hit.

The constant comparisons to Hawthornstar Lance Franklin. The responsibility of bringing upson Tyson, born when Tambling was just 19. The hamstringstrains that consistently dragged him back to thepack.

And last year, the pressure oftaking wayward younger brother Lachlan from the temptations of Darwin and relocating him in Melbourne with Tambling and partner Amy.

"In junior footy you were the No. 1 person. But playing AFL is verydifficult. Outsiders see the weekend games, but they don't see the hard work that goes on behind it, whether it's physical or mental. Footy is draining," Tambling says.

"I had self doubt all the time. Ithink I let the outside world get to me, with the write-ups in the paper that I had against me. I let thatget to me, and now I have realised that you can't control that."

Anyone who meets Tambling is soon transformed from wishing he was Franklin to wishing himevery success – and soon.

Quietly spoken and far removed fromthe football stereotype, it is impossible not to be impressed with his maturity and honesty.

During a 2007 season in which Franklin's star power shone brighter than ever and Tambling at one stage found himself playing with Coburg,something finally clicked.

For so long quick to deny his worldwas anything other than perfect, he finally confrontedhis demons.

"There are sports psychologists at theclub and we had one that the boys go to. He didn't have to say much. As all psychologists do, he just said,`Tell me about it', and I just started blabbing on. Ifound out about these things I actually didn't know werebothering me.

"I didn't realise it at the time, but (the comparisons) were affecting me, aswell as the things outside football that related to myfamily matters.

"It's not until I actually sat downwith someone and opened up, the things that came out of my mouth, that I realised they were bothering me. And then I just spat it out. Then I realised, I can changethis.

"When I knew it was getting to me, Ifixed it straight away and that was when I came back andplayed that last (solid) month of footy."

Tambling saw the Richmond psychologist twice, and he started thinking about life and football differently.

"I haven't seen him since and my girlfriend has helped me out, so there's no need to flipout again," he said. "I couldn't be more happy. The last six months has been the happiest I have been."

While Richmond has beendecidedly low-profile this summer, the murmurings about Tambling's pre-season have been too loud toignore.

He missed a week with a rolledankle, but that aside, club insiders say there is no reason he willnot match those lofty junior predictions.

"Look out for him this year," says teammate Brett Deledio, picked three selections earlierat No. 1 in the 2004 national draft.

"He is reallysetting the track alight. I don't want to put too much pressure on him but he is really doing some special things. We can't wait until he fullygets to his potential.

"I think he has been unfairly judged. Buddy (Franklin) has come out and done this and that, and Richie Tambling is going to be as good, if not better, I reckon. When that comes, the support will change for him and everyone will be on his side."

It is high praise from Deledio, but Tambling saysthe encouragement from his teammates isempowering.

"The boys have seen glimpses of what they want me to be and they believe I can become theplayer we need. They are backing me 100 per cent," hesays.

"When you come to an AFL club you look up to these blokes and are a little bit intimidated, and you holdback a bit, but they have told me, `This is what we wantyou to do'. AllI have to do is repay the belief they have in me."

As for the Franklin comparisons, Tambling acknowledges he can only end them with action.

"Buddy has gone a long way and he played greatfooty last year. There are always going to be people who compare you. You can still hear the Judd-Ball-Hodge thing, and you just try to ignore it and be the best youcan.

"It takes more development for some peoplethan it does others. I was pretty much a lightly-framedkid. Now I have put on a bit of bulk and I want to play at the level I know I can."

Brother Lachlan, 16, had dropped out of school when Tambling intervened. He is now thrivingat school.

And if Tyson was ever a distraction, he is now acheeky two-year-old who Tambling rushes home fromtraining to greet.

Tambling knows he and Richmond must perform thisyear for the circle to be complete, but at last he hasthe joy back in his life.

"Footy is going great, and I am very excited about the season.

"I have settled properly in Melbourne, got a house, got the little boy. No matter how bad your day has been, all it takes is one little smile and you are happy again."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23345959-19742,00.html

blx

Re: Reality hits hard for Tambling (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2008, 04:29:10 AM »
i think it will be tambling who will be a future captain at the club. he has a few things to achieve before then but he has all the right attributes.

could be our "longy" really  :thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2008, 10:46:31 AM »
He is an outstanding young man

And as for the so called "experts" as they consistently prove they have no idea
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2008, 11:53:58 AM »
i think it will be tambling who will be a future captain at the club. he has a few things to achieve before then but he has all the right attributes.

could be our "longy" really  :thumbsup

yeah tough for this guy but its not his fault that richmond chose him and not franklin.
he shouldn't let that get him down.
i blame the rfc club for a lot of things and as for lids saying he has trained the house down, well i hope he performs on match day
i also remember jade rawlings say that 2 weeks ago about jon
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2008, 08:37:36 PM »
"Look out for him this year," says teammate Brett Deledio, picked three selections earlierat No. 1 in the 2004 national draft.

"He is reallysetting the track alight. I don't want to put too much pressure on him but he is really doing some special things. We can't wait until he fullygets to his potential.

"I think he has been unfairly judged. Buddy (Franklin) has come out and done this and that, and Richie Tambling is going to be as good, if not better, I reckon. When that comes, the support will change for him and everyone will be on his side."
No pressure eh Lids  :wallywink

I personally still think Blingers is 1-2 years away from what he could consistently produce. He's improved over summer and looks more comfortable at this level but I wouldn't say he's trained the house down. I'm glad he's got his head around the fact he can only control the things he has control over because you know as soon as he has a quiet game it'll be backpage news again ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »
He's copping extra because he's aboriginal too.

The comparisons of white players in similar circumstances,
while giving heed to good converstaion,don't carry the same stigma
as the indigenous related arguments because for some reason we foolishly
expect them to all be a Wanganeen at least within their first 2 seasons.

Richard gets the Franklin thing especially,because both are indigenous lads.

It's almost racist.....but nobody would ever admit it.

Tigermonk

« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2008, 09:19:01 PM »
there all got gifted talent
fast skinny tricky players with quick minds
l have coached many of them & all were finished by 19yrs old
why  ??? cause there own culture is there problem & needs to be addressed properly
thats why there are so many programs in place but you got to get them to do it
some of the best players l ever coached all seen around drinking & in trouble
l've had Kickett, Long, Davies, & Murphy all down training & to lecture them about football
sad sad tale it hurts me to see them doing nothing & the community really needed there talent to kick the league on instead country teams were folding cause you have 30 of them going through juniors & a few years later none are playing footy
just my peice l hope there programs work for them but its going to be a huge process
they called me Coach Gubba now thats racist aint it  :lol
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:53:48 PM by Tigermonk »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Buddy no bother for Tambling (AAP)
« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2008, 02:36:09 PM »
Buddy no bother for Tambling
Luke Holmesby
AAP
 12:08 PM Fri 04 April, 2008

WHEN Richmond drafted Richard Tambling at pick no. 4 in 2004, it was widely thought the Tigers had got a bargain.

Tambling had been tipped to go in the two selections after Brett Deledio at no. 1.

But when Hawthorn pulled a surprise and took Jarryd Roughead at 2 and the Bulldogs took Ryan Griffen at three, Tambling fell in to Richmond’s lap.

But it was the man that was drafted immediately after Tambling, Hawthorn’s Lance Franklin, who has developed quicker than any of his peers and now seems destined for greatness.

Tambling has been frustrated but has learned to ignore the constant comparisons with Franklin that have followed him for more than three years.

“It did go away for a bit. It’s not too bad, the first couple of times I got pretty upset about it and it affected me quite a lot but ever since last year I threw that out of my mind,” Tambling said.

“I can’t control the way Lance Franklin plays, I can only control the way I play so that’s what I’m focusing on.”

Contempt for external expectations and pressures seems a common theme at Punt Rd, which suits Tambling just fine.

“We did a whole lot of work on the team being united at the start of the year. I think that helped us a lot just sticking together. We don’t really care what anyone thinks but us,” he said.

“If we think we’re not going well then we’re the only ones that are going to punish ourselves. We try to block everything out and do the best we can week after week.”

Tambling, 21, has played 55 AFL matches mainly as a small forward with cameos in the midfield.

But his fourth season on Richmond’s list could be the making of him as a key part of the Tigers’ midfield.

“Coming off last year I had little stints in the middle. Terry [Wallace] challenged me in the pre-season and said I have to do a certain amount of work and told me the blokes I had to match to get in the midfield,” he said.

“My role in the midfield has been defined for me so I know what I have to do in there. I have a set position there to play. It’s sort of more understandable so it gives me more confidence in what I do.”

Tambling has been working closely with midfield coach Brian Royal and has been following the example set by Nathan Foley.

Foley and Tambling have followed contrasting paths to the AFL system, Tambling the gifted top five draft pick and Foley the undersized midfielder who had to earn a spot through the rookie list.

Tambling said Foley had become a role model to many at Richmond.

“For where he’s gotten to it is down to hard work and the extras every day that got him to where he is. We all respect him for that and look up to him because he is such a hard worker,” Tambling said.

But far from being handed an AFL career on a platter, Tambling says it took some adjusting for a Darwin native to settle in to the hustle and bustle of Melbourne life and the discipline of the AFL world.

He says it wasn’t that he missed his hometown, but more the people in it, with a then six-year-old brother one of the hardest to farewell. Since then he has made an extra effort to welcome young indigenous players who like him had to travel thousands of kilometres to follow their AFL dream.

“Last year Carl Peterson was with us and I thought because we had a similar background that I could help him out a lot,” Tambling said.

“This year Clayton Collard’s here from Perth and we have a similar background and personality. I get around and try to make the other boys feel comfortable as best I can.”

Tambling is settled in his Preston home with partner Amy and two-year-old son Tyson. He says whenever he has doubts about himself as a senior football or has just heard another Lance Franklin comparison, it all disappears as soon as he walks in the front door.

“No matter how bad your day’s going, you go home and Tyson says something cheeky or smiles at you and you’re all better again.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=57359

richmondrules

Re: Richie Tambling threads [merged]
« Reply #190 on: April 04, 2008, 03:07:47 PM »

“No matter how bad your day’s going, you go home and Tyson says something cheeky or smiles at you and you’re all better again.”

Good on you Richie. That's what it's all about mate, that's what it's all about.  :thumbsup

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #191 on: April 04, 2008, 03:20:12 PM »
in my opinion blingers is 10 times the man and player that buddy is!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2008, 03:37:30 PM »
in my opinion blingers is 10 times the man and player that buddy is!

thats goes without saying. great read and it seems a reall nice guy.
 but buddy hasn't done anything wrong and no one knows what he does with charity behind closed doors.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #193 on: April 05, 2008, 10:09:48 AM »
Nice guy or not he needs to play a good game of football tommorrow.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2008, 05:13:56 PM »
Blingers (and Foley) needs some support in the centre tomorrow if we are to win.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd