Author Topic: Richard Tambling threads [merged]  (Read 132414 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richie Tambling threads [merged]
« Reply #495 on: July 06, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »
By watching Hawthorn this year I think we are getting an insight on what kind of difference Buddy would of made at Richmond.

We may of played finals last year but overall I think we would still be a bunch of disappointed and frustrated supporters.

dont know about that. the guy will be a superstar, albeit a non consistent one.

Buddy is a splitting image of one Matthew Richardson, can kick 1.12 or 10.1.

I bet if he was in our team one Jack R will on target to kick about 50-70 goals this year.

we need a forward and quick
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

FooffooValve

Re: Tambling: Mind over chatter (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #496 on: July 06, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »
Mind over chatter
Glenn McFarlane | June 28, 2009

"I am working harder...

Hmmm, interesting.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #497 on: July 06, 2009, 02:43:18 PM »
Gonna be very interesting to see how Richie's career unfolds compared to Varcoe. Very similar players, not just in build and appearance but also the way they run and kick. Varcoe's got it pretty easy down at Geelong sitting on a wing, across HF or in a pocket whilst their a grade midfielders do the hard yards. Richie has it tough here and was thrown in the deep end pretty much from the go. His possession stats this season are very encouraging.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #498 on: July 06, 2009, 03:02:45 PM »
vaercoes younger bro is the one to watch

but blingers is and will be the best of the bunch, by the time blingers is finished he will be compared to mcleod goodes m.rioli etc as one of the greats. this is just the beginning, the bling bling show is about to explode

Con65

« Reply #499 on: July 06, 2009, 03:48:12 PM »
I know that I am preaching to the converted in this thread...but how good was his one handed diving mark near the boundary line.

This kid has really come of age...Great maturity, pleasure to talk to, humble and incredibly talented.

Glad he is enjoying his footy and playing like the gun everyone thinks he can be.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #500 on: July 06, 2009, 08:34:05 PM »
His possession stats this season are very encouraging.

Have been every season since he started.  Only the impatient Chicken Littles impressed by Buddy's 2 good years in a successful side that didn't see it.  Not so good when the ball ain't comin' down is he.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #501 on: July 06, 2009, 08:38:30 PM »
I'd like to apologise for calling him Richard Fumbling and saying that he wasn't in our best 22.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #502 on: July 06, 2009, 09:33:48 PM »
WP was first on that bandwagon  :thumbsup. Not a silly suggestion either although at this point I'd like to see Blingers show this continual improvement for a sustained period (rest of this year and next) and see him cope with likely tags before he's truly considered as a candidate for the captaincy.

Yes I was  ;D

It is amazing what effect actually enjoying playing the game can have on a player

Was a star again on Saturday night at that "not up to AFL standard" ground
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #503 on: July 06, 2009, 09:38:15 PM »
WP was first on that bandwagon  :thumbsup. Not a silly suggestion either although at this point I'd like to see Blingers show this continual improvement for a sustained period (rest of this year and next) and see him cope with likely tags before he's truly considered as a candidate for the captaincy.

Yes I was  ;D

It is amazing what effect actually enjoying playing the game can have on a player

Was a star again on Saturday night at that "not up to AFL standard" ground

dig a bit deeper i think someone else may have mentioned this first  ;)

not that it matters lol

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #504 on: July 07, 2009, 09:19:12 AM »
His possession stats this season are very encouraging.

Have been every season since he started.  Only the impatient Chicken Littles impressed by Buddy's 2 good years in a successful side that didn't see it.  Not so good when the ball ain't comin' down is he.

LOL Smokey.

He sure isn't and he killed my supercoach the last few weeks as well the hopeless git.

That last sentance is not true as I am plenty crap at it by myself

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tambling comes of age (Sportal)
« Reply #505 on: July 07, 2009, 05:00:33 PM »
Tambling comes of age
06-07-2009 1:43 PM
Sportal

Richmond's 2009 season may have been a disaster but it could also be remembered as the year that Richard Tambling finally came of age.

Tambling, who has forever lived in the shadow of the man taken immediately after him in the 2004 national draft in Hawthorn full-forward Lance Franklin, is now re-paying the faith the Tigers have always shown in him.

Not only is Tambling actually playing far better than Franklin at present - after the reigning Coleman Medalist was held goalless for the first time in three years on the weekend - but is also outperforming the other top five draftees from that draft in team-mate Brett Deledio, Hawthorn's Jarryd Roughead and the Bulldogs' Ryan Griffen.

Full article at:
http://www.sportsentral.com/pro/main/storyreader.aspx?sid=13583&sr=all

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #506 on: July 07, 2009, 06:10:19 PM »
I think one Ben Cousins may have also had some influence on young Tambo. The way he is handing off and then receiving it back at fall pace is quite familiar. If this is just one of the benefits of drafting BC then its been a truly win win situation for the RFC.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rolling the tambling dice (Age)
« Reply #507 on: July 09, 2009, 02:28:22 AM »
Rolling the tambling dice
Dan Silkstone | July 9, 2009

IN 2004, Richmond rolled the Tambling dice, selecting with draft pick No.4 a player ranked highly by many recruiters but one who has since become one of the most controversial in the club's long fallow period.

Most dice are six-sided - this one had just five. The first five players read out on draft day, if not the order, matched closely with the top prospects identified beforehand by most clubs. Those young players, in now oft-cited order, were Brett Deledio, Jarryd Roughead, Ryan Griffen, Tambling and Lance Franklin. Only pick six - the Bulldogs' play for Tom Williams - was considered a surprise.

For the longest time, that dice roll has looked a lot like snake eyes. Richmond has been roundly mocked for taking Tambling and Deledio, while ignoring nascent superstars in Franklin and Roughead. All the while, the Western Bulldogs have been let off the hook. Two top-six picks netted them Griffen and Williams. The early success of one has partly masked the misfortunes of the other.

Here's an idea, though: What happens if you take another look at that famous draft with 2009 form in mind?

Viewpoints form early, prejudices soon after, and Tambling's introduction to league football was uninspiring. But, five years after the most talked-about draft of the modern era, Tambling appears to have forgotten that he was supposed to be a mistake. The 22-year-old has unleashed a string of eye-catching performances in 2009 - even as his team has struggled.

Franklin meanwhile - among the best handful in the competition last year - has dulled a little, Roughead has hardly sizzled and while Deledio and Griffen have had their moments, few of them have been so grand as in seasons past.

If you calculated draft order on 2009 form alone, there's every chance Tambling might go at No.1. At very least an argument can be made.

How good has he been? This year, the often-maligned Tiger averages 22 disposals, seven marks and - importantly given the ability to run and carry he has recently displayed - four inside 50s per match. They are impressive numbers in a team that has lost many more matches than it has won. But something else happens when you look at more recent form.

In the past five weeks, he has been as good as anybody.

During that period, Tambling has averaged 27 disposals and eight marks, playing as a damaging wingman-cum-half-forward. Against West Coast in round 12 he was clearly best man on the field. Last week he tore Adelaide apart en route to a career-high 31 touches. He is finding space, finding the ball and using it to change the course of games.

Since round 10, Tambling ranks third in the league for marks and is also third for uncontested possessions. Not only is he getting much more of the ball, he is using it better - his disposal efficiency, at 79 per cent - is easily a career high.

It all seems to coincide rather conveniently with the change of coach at Punt Road and yet assistant coach Brian Royal - who has worked closely with Tambling - says there has been no change in what is being asked of the player under Jade Rawlings.

"His workrate has lifted significantly this year and he has a better understanding of how hard he has to work," Royal says. "His body has taken a bit longer to develop than some. He's got the licence to play as a wingman or half-forward and he has relished it. It just took time for him. This is his fifth year and it is all coming together, starting to click."

But sometimes players respond as much to subtle psychological cues as they do to team orders. Tambling is the ultimate confidence player, Royal agrees. "He feels a really strong part of the team now, like he belongs in the side," he says. "He has got belief now, some players have that straight away and some take a little bit longer."

Royal says the burden of being in THAT draft has been difficult and the public opprobrium of Tiger fans has not helped. You could see these things in the past, just watching the hesitancy with which he played. Too often the fear of making a mistake overrode the desire to take the game on. The mistake was duly made.

"Richard Tambling did not pick himself at No.4, the Richmond Football Club did. People don't understand the pressure that put on Richard was quite enormous," Royal says. "It can be a burden and I know it has been. Those external pressures were enormous."

Tambling is up this year. Others are a little down. This speaks to the vagaries of both team and individual form as well as injury, but also to the different rate at which young men mature. It is hard in AFL football to play five consecutive seasons in top form. Try to think of those who have done it in the past half-decade: Chris Judd definitely. Jonathan Brown, maybe. Gary Ablett? Probably not.

At different points in that period, each of the 2004 top five has shone. If you had reset the draft order after just 12 months, Deledio would have more than justified his top selection. The No.1 pick lit up season 2005, helping himself to the Rising Star award and showing off blistering pace. Since then he has been steady, though never the dominant midfielder he was drafted to be. Cameos up forward and in defence were tried before he found form last year and snagged the Tigers' best and fairest. But in 2009, Deledio has slipped a little. His average disposals are down, as are goals per game, scoring assists and marks.

Early on, Griffen was probably tracking second-best. He finished second in the 2005 rising star and was hailed as an emerging gun. In 2007, he struck injury trouble: first a knee problem, then a twisted bowel. As he moved from defence into the midfield he has sometimes sparkled while at others frustrating Bulldog fans with his inconsistency. He is yet to stamp himself as an elite midfielder. In a team that racks up plenty of touches with a share-and-carry style, last weekend's win against Hawthorn was his biggest tally in five years: 31 disposals.

When you talk about Franklin and Roughead, normal rules don't quite apply. Both - like their team - appear to have dropped off this year. Neither looks the game-breaking threat he was in 2008. And yet, both have still kicked plenty of goals. One does not imagine Hawthorn would wish to trade them for anybody. And they have a premiership.

Tambling, Deledio and Griffen make an interesting comparison. All play sometimes in the midfield and yet none are top-line onballers in the traditional sense. They get less of the ball than the likes of Ablett, Judd, Dane Swan or Sam Mitchell. It took four years for Deledio to nail his first 30-plus possession game (surely a barometer for key midfielders). Tambling and Griffen both snared 31 disposals last weekend. In both cases it was a career high.

Royal agrees that Tambling is probably shading the other four in 2009 but notes it is his fifth year and he has plenty of catching up to do. "Deledio has a best and fairest, Franklin has a premiership and a Coleman medal, Roughead and Griffen have had very good periods," he says. "They go up and down at different times, that's just football."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/clubs/richmond/changing-fortunes/2009/07/08/1246732379713.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #508 on: July 09, 2009, 08:53:02 AM »
Well two things here:

1: It is about time they started paying Tamblig some respect as the media are the ones that have crucified him since that draft and look at him now.

2: Why they keep bringing up Roughead and Griffen is beyond me. We were going to pick Roughead at pick 4 but the Hawks picked him at 2 so we did not fail there as we picked Deledio at 1 over Roughead; so a win there. We could not pick Griffen at 4 because the Dogs picked him at 3, again a win there as we picked Deledio at 1. The only so to speak bad decision which does not stand that way at the moment was that we picked Tambling at 4 and they picked franklin at 5.

DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #509 on: July 09, 2009, 10:03:33 AM »
keep thiese articles coming

:clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping