Author Topic: Current players have committed to join Gold Coast  (Read 12690 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Current players have committed to join Gold Coast
« on: February 13, 2010, 05:32:07 AM »
It was mentioned by Bruce on Ch 7's coverage last night that there's rumours circling that 6 out of 9 players Gold Coast have been chasing have committed to the new club. On main Bigfooty's main board Cotchin's name was mentioned although that probably means he's staying lol.

This was added by Tiger666 on the Richmond BF board:

"I went to this community camp dinner in the Northern Rivers NSW, [Guy] McKenna did indeed refer to Cotchin and Ablett being 2 of the players they were after, but not that any contracts had been signed.

I made sure to tell McKenna afterwards that I heard Cotchin's no good, leave him with the Tigers. Not sure if he believed me."

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16866729&postcount=7
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:37:09 AM by one-eyed »

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Lets hope he's gullible.  You did say it with a straight face didn't you :|

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Well in all honesty and I really hate to say this and thought I never would but if and and know it's rumors and what ever but... If Cotchin does go I would seriously consider giving AFL away. Really, the RFC has stuck fat with him and if that happens the game is no longer a game it's about the money. If Ablett leaves Geelong I could understand that because they have tasted glory 2 out of the last 3 years. We are building with players like Cotch and for him to leave would set us back.......I don't think we will get there again in my life time.

Like I said in another thread I don't think this priority pick system for new teams is fair, it actually sets new teams up to build Super Teams and that is wrong IMO.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Ramps

Well in all honesty and I really hate to say this and thought I never would but if and and know it's rumors and what ever but... If Cotchin does go I would seriously consider giving AFL away. Really, the RFC has stuck fat with him and if that happens the game is no longer a game it's about the money. If Ablett leaves Geelong I could understand that because they have tasted glory 2 out of the last 3 years. We are building with players like Cotch and for him to leave would set us back.......I don't think we will get there again in my life time.

Like I said in another thread I don't think this priority pick system for new teams is fair, it actually sets new teams up to build Super Teams and that is wrong IMO.

If Wallace was still coaching I reckon he would have left, that we have a new coach, a new policy of bringing in young players like Dutin Martin, I think Cotchin will stay. He will be well rewarded by staying financially and he wont want to leave his family IMHO.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

If Wallace was still coaching I reckon he would have left, that we have a new coach, a new policy of bringing in young players like Dutin Martin, I think Cotchin will stay. He will be well rewarded by staying financially and he wont want to leave his family IMHO.

Thats what I am hoiping Ramps, loyalty would have to play a big part too IMO.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
We would be compensated with a pick by the GC from what I understand.

He was a pick two, has not shown that he is worth anything less than that, so if we did lose him (and I don't think we will) then we would receive a high pick in return.

The AFL has a say in the compensation pick (that would be my biggest concern), but we would not lose him for nothing.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Back on the topic, I think that GC17 would be hard pressed to snare Cotchin but if they can tempt him, they can have him. The club is bigger than any individual player and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if it happens. Its happened before and it will happen again.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Apparently the rumour originally came from Andy Maher  ::) on SEN yesterday morning so that probably sums up how credible it is.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
I recall his family didnt want him to go to WC because of the culture, but mainly because the family wanted to be close to each other?????

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
I don't think we can lose either way -either he goes and we get a top 3 pick and potentially lose an injury riddled player  :-\ or we keep him, give him plenty of time to develop and have a star on our hands. He is just one player after all.

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
I recall his family didnt want him to go to WC because of the culture, but mainly because the family wanted to be close to each other?????
That's what I thought too. They were glad the first two picks were Victorian sides.

In any case anything said by Maher should be taken with a grain of salt especially when it comes to Richmond who he loves to have digs at while he praises his beloved Blues  :chuck.

Hopefully we re-sign Cotch for 3 years and re-sign up any of our other young guns out of contract before the end of the season and keep the new teams' claws off Punt Rd. Probably only 5 of our uncontracted players at this stage we'd be keen not to lose.

Out of contract: Cotchin, Connors, Cousins, Edwards, King, Graham, Hislop, McMahon, Moore, Polo, Post, Riewoldt, Simmonds, Tambling, Thomson, Tuck, Vickery, White

Both new franchises (they aren't traditional clubs) will be starting from scratch in non-traditional footy regions away from family (except in Ablett's case) so the only attraction would be the cash. The only Tiger from the Gold Coast is McGaune and he's not in Cotch's class.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin a GC target (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 05:15:56 AM »
I've typed this out from the hardcopy version of the Herald-Sun as it isn't on the web....

Cotchin a GC target
By Jay Clark
Sunday Herald-Sun
14 FEB 2010, Page S06

RICHMOND may have a fight on its hands to retain gun onballer Trent Cotchin.

It is understood the 20-year-old is a priority target for new club Gold Coast.

Third in the 2008 NAB Rising Star award, the classy Cotchin is out of contract at the end of the season.

Richmond football manager Craig Cameron said yesterday the club was ``absolutely'' confident of keeping the No.2 pick in the 2007 national draft.

Cotchin has stated publicly several times he is happy at Richmond.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
I don't think we can lose either way -either he goes and we get a top 3 pick and potentially lose an injury riddled player  :-\ or we keep him, give him plenty of time to develop and have a star on our hands. He is just one player after all.

Stripes

lol

Cotchin is 19 years old. bit early to be dubbing him injury riddled. He is could be a superstar.

if we trade him for a pick #3 i will spew

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
the way i see it we must keep

* Martin
 * Cotchin
 * Deledio

and a few talls who show promise Reiwoldt? Vickery?

if we do no have this to build around we are rooted

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
the way i see it we must keep

* Martin
 * Cotchin
 * Deledio

Yep the only way I will be able to watch the pain this year knowing that these three will be our star midfield in 2-3 years.  Pray that Cuz stays injury free and shows them what a real footballer is.