Author Topic: OFFICIAL PICKS - National Draft  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
OFFICIAL PICKS - National Draft
« on: November 20, 2004, 10:25:19 AM »
1. Brett Deledio
Details:
Club: Kyabram/Murray
DOB: 18 April 1987 Hgt: 188cm Wgt: 81kg
Position: Onballer/Forward
Natural Foot: Right

Honours:
Kevin Sheehan Medal 2003 (best player in Division 1 of the Under 16's Carnival)
AIS/AFL Academy 2003
Victoria Country 2004
All Australian 2004
Forward Pocket in TAC Cup Team of the Year 2004
National Draft Camp 2004

TAC Stats:
2003: 7 games, 7 goals, 18.3 PPG
2004: 11 games, 21 goals, 23.9 PPG

Strengths: Deledio is a brilliant midfielder and forward who looks destined to be an AFL star. He is what I would call the complete package. He is an amazing mark for his size, creative at the stoppages, a booming kick on either side and has fantastic goal sense. He has the rare ability to turn a game with his sublime skills and inspirational marks.

Brett can play in the centre and will win a lot of clearances, but is also very capable of holding down a spot in the forward line. He has the ability to kick up to 60 metres on his right foot and is pretty capable on his left. His pace is extremely good, and he has good endurance as well. From all reports Deledio has a good head on his shoulders and is a natural leader, captaining Australia in the International Rules series this year. Brett is also pretty good defensively.

Weaknesses: Very few really. Can struggle to shake a hard tag, and can play in fits and starts rather than dominating an entire match

4. Richard Tambling
Details:
Club: Southern Districts/Northern Territory
DOB: 12 September 1986 Hgt: 181cm Wgt: 74kg
Position: Onballer/Half forward flank

Honours:
AIS/AFL Academy 2001
Allan McLean Medal 2002 (best player in Division 2 of Under 16's Carnival)
Northern Territory 2002, 2003, 2004 (Captain)
H.G Harrison Medal 2004 (best player in Division 2 of Under 18's Carnival)
All Australian 2004
MVP of Northern Territory 2004
National Draft Camp 2004

Strengths: Tambling is football’s version of the Human Highlight Reel. An extremely exciting onballer and flanker, he has blistering pace and is capable of the extraordinary. He has the ability to tear a game apart with his brilliant skills, running and ability to kick impossible goals. He has a big leap on him and is very agile.

Tambling is a good leader and was captain of the NT side in the recent carnival. He works very hard defensively, his tackling and smothering is a real feature. His hands are extremely clean and he can be damaging at the stoppages.

Weaknesses: Only weighs 68kg and may take time to put on the bulk required to play at AFL level. Can tend to concentrate on winning the football and not his direct opponent.

12. Danny Meyer
Details:
Club: Flagstaff Hill/Glenelg
DOB: 3 August 1986 Hgt: 183cm Wgt: 70kg
Position: Onballer/Forward

Honours:
South Australia 2004
All Australian 2004
National Draft Camp 2004

Strengths: Meyer is a classy wingman/forward who is a fantastic shot for goal. His set shot kicking is beautiful to watch, and he is pretty good on the run as well. Spent most of the carnival as a forward, but can play midfield, where he has clean hands and is very good overhead for his size. Moves well and can dispose on either foot.

Danny has a great leap on him for his size and can break a game open. He spent most of the year playing school footy with Sacred Heart in SA.

Weaknesses: Probably still needs to put on some weight, and I'm not sure what position he would play at AFL level.

16. Adam Pattison
Adam Pattison
Details:
Club: Old Paradians/Northern
DOB: 5 March 1986 Hgt: 195cm Wgt: 87kg
Position: Centre Half Forward

Honours:
Winner of TAC Cup Coaches Award 2004
Centre Half Forward in TAC Cup Team of the Year 2004
Northern Best and Fairest 2004
National Draft Camp 2004

TAC Stats:
2002: 1 game, 0 goals, 1.0 PPG
2003: 13 games, 3 goals, 7.0 PPG
2004: 17 games, 14 goals, 17.8 PPG

Strengths: Pattison has been one of the big improvers in 2004, having a huge 2nd half of the season to win the TAC Cup Coaches Award. He is a tall key position player who looks best suited at centre half forward but can do stints in the ruck if required.

Adam has a fantastic work ethic for a big man and covers a lot of territory with top 10 results in the beep test and 3km run at draft camp. He is a strong mark and continues to present the entire game. He brings teammates into the game with his handballing, and is a good leader (captain of the TAC Cup side that took on the Allies). Second efforts are great and he does know how to ruck.

Weaknesses: Adam doesn't have great lateral mobility and his kicking needs work. Can play on too often after taking a mark rather than assessing the options

20. Dean Pollo
Details:
Club: Wy Yung/Gippsland
DOB: 5 August 1986 Hgt: 187cm Wgt: 78kg
Position: Onballer
Natural Foot: Left

Honours:
Victoria Country 2004
All Australian 2004
Wing in TAC Cup Team of the Year 2004
National Draft Camp 2004

TAC Stats:
2002: 1 game, 0 goals, 3.0 PPG
2003: 15 games, 5 goals, 19.1 PPG
2004: 19 games, 5 goals, 24.6 PPG

Strengths: Polo is an ungainly looking but extremely effective midfielder. He works hard and just keeps finding the football in close. He is very good overhead for his size and is very good at winning the ball at stoppages and kicking it forward.

Dean will put his head over the footy, has good pace and has plenty of improvement left in him. Can do a job on an opposition player when instructed, such as Ryan Griffen in the carnival. Also has very good endurance.

Weaknesses: Polo can tend to lack poise and rush his disposal by foot rather than balancing, and some of his decision-making can be questionable. Like a lot of kids needs to put on some weight. Doesn't kick enough goals.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 10:31:47 AM by Fwoy3 »
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
Re: OFFICIAL PICKS - National Draft
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 10:38:45 AM »
36. Luke McGuane
Mick's nephew
From QLD

Details:
Club: Broadbeach/Queensland
DOB: 12 February 1987 Hgt: 192cm Wgt: 77kg
Position: Centre Half Forward

Honours:
Queensland 2004
National Draft Camp 2004

Strengths: The nephew of former Collingwood (and Carlton!) player Mick, Luke is another of the developing tall forwards from Queensland to show promise in 2004.

Luke is still skinny but can take some strong contested grabs and is a good set shot. He even did some ruckwork for Queensland. Although too small to do this at AFL level, it does show his mobility and leap. Was a talented high jumper and distance runner at high school.

Weaknesses: Still has a fair bit to learn about the game and needs to put on some weight. Would be a speculative selection.

My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 10:50:59 AM »
52. Dean Limbach
Details:
Club: West Coburg/Calder
DOB: 25 October 1986 Hgt: 191cm Wgt: 77kg
Position: Forward

Honours:
National Draft Camp 2004

TAC Stats:
2003: 11 games, 15 goals, 10.1 PPG
2004: 7 games, 21 goals, 8.9 PPG

Strengths: Limbach is a rangy forward who moves well, is strong overhead and a good kick for goal. He starred in the opening game of the season, kicking 6 goals before breaking his wrist and only returning just before the finals.

Dean works hard to keep the ball in the forward line and is quick on the lead. On his return to TAC Cup football he has immediately started kicking goals again. Has a very good leap on him.

Weaknesses: The big question mark is the injury. Although recovered, Limbach missed nearly the entire season and therefore it's hard to assess just well he would have gone.

All bios courtesy of www.footydraft.com.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 11:27:04 AM by Fwoy3 »

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 10:59:19 AM »
65. Mark Graham

Details:  :banghead

:lol

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 11:03:08 AM »
65. Mark Graham

Details:  :banghead

agreed

:lol

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 11:24:38 AM »
The following players are still there for the rookie list draft, of which, we have pick 1 again. :rollin

Ruory Kirkby
Heath Grundy
Alan Toovey
Danyle Pearce
Ryan Jackson
Ryan Bain
Ben Sharp
Beau Wilkes
Ivan Maric

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 11:30:59 AM »
Surprised with our picks after the first two. Mostly midfielders early on although all with pace which is good. No young developing ruckman although the KP types can fill in the ruck. Not sure with the speculative McGuane choice while the likes of Kirkby and Grundy missed out. Second division U18 teams were poor this year apart from Tambling. To get both Deledio and Tambling is a bonus.

Would be interested in what RT and others think we went.  

Terry is clearly wrapped with Limbach at 52. He wants a bloody quick team and he's certainly on his way to get one.

Graham  ::) is a donkey pick to play 22 games to allow Kel Moore to develop.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 11:44:40 AM »
Maybe we can rookie list a couple of ruck options. I guess as Terry said, Meyer was too good to pass up, and a surprise to be available at 12. Once Wood went, so did the drive for a ruck.

Maric on the rookie list sounds fair, but we'll see if we want another player first. Interesting to see Reddin and Juniper not get picked yet either  :shh

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 12:03:12 PM »
Maybe we can rookie list a couple of ruck options. I guess as Terry said, Meyer was too good to pass up, and a surprise to be available at 12. Once Wood went, so did the drive for a ruck.

Maric on the rookie list sounds fair, but we'll see if we want another player first. Interesting to see Reddin and Juniper not get picked yet either  :shh

That's true fwoy. We get the first choice. We need to start using the rookie list to our full advantage. I hope we take virtually our full compliment of 4 or 5 = foley + 3 or 4 new kids.

Once we bypassed Wood at 16 we weren't picking up ruckman.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 01:14:05 PM »

That's true fwoy. We get the first choice. We need to start using the rookie list to our full advantage. I hope we take virtually our full compliment of 4 or 5 = foley + 3 or 4 new kids.

Once we bypassed Wood at 16 we weren't picking up ruckman.

Really happy with the first 2 - like Iv'e said before dont know much about the rest but very surprised we didn't go for at least 1 of the Big Talls.

Makes me wonder about McKee  :-\

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Mick McGuane - forward scout
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 01:59:26 PM »
Terry was on 3AW. He's over the moon with our picks. He definitely knows how to sell the Club.

We apparently had Micky McGuane as a forward scout and that's how we got his nephew. Wallace said he's a big wrap for Micky's footy knowledge.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Deledio plays down pressure
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 06:11:16 PM »
Great to pick up kids who are wrapped to be at Tigerland  :birthday.

Deledio plays down pressure
1:52:55 PM Sat 20 November, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal

Brett Deledio has vowed not to let the pressure of becoming the AFL's latest number one draft pick to affect him saying he already has his sights set on being in the Richmond line-up during next year's Wizard Cup.

Deledio, 17, was widely expected to be the first name called out in Saturday's draft but the hard ball-winning midfielder from Kyabram in country Victoria said he did not know he was going to be the number one pick until receiving a call from the Tigers on Friday night.

"I hadn’t been told anything up until then so I was surprised as anyone," he said of being rated the best teenage player in Australia in 2004.

"It's fantastic, I am just glad to get a chance to play AFL."

Deledio, whose father Wayne played one game for Carlton in 1975, says the expectation that comes with being the number one selection will not faze him.

"I think I will let it go over my head and just play footy as I do," he said.

"You can't think about it too much and let it get to you."

Deledio was not making any bold predictions about what he was capable of achieving in his first season in 2005, although he will be expected to soon become a regular member of the Tigers' line-up as last year's number one pick Adam Cooney quickly did at the Bulldogs.

"I just want to train as hard as I can and if I get a game in the Wizard Cup it would be fantastic and then I will take it from there," he said.

Deledio said he is thrilled to be joining a new-look Richmond outfit under new coach Terry Wallace in 2005.

"They are a fantastic club and hopefully they are going places," he said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=178215

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tambling dreams of MCG
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 06:13:52 PM »
Tambling dreams of MCG
1:22:44 PM Sat 20 November, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal

He may have been tipped to go to Hawthorn at pick two but exciting Northern Territory teenager Richard Tambling says he can hardly wait to run onto the MCG in a Richmond guernsey after being claimed by the Tigers at pick four in Saturday's national draft.

The 18-year-old goalkicking midfielder was overlooked by the Hawks, who instead went for key position player Jarryd Roughead at pick two and was quickly snapped up by the Tigers at pick four after last year's wooden spooners had already claimed Brett Deledio as expected with the first pick.

Tambling told Sportal he didn't panic when he didn’t hear his name called at pick two and was thrilled to be heading to Richmond with Deledio with the pair having already struck up a friendship during the recent draft camp.

And now he already has his sights on breaking straight into the Tigers' line-up and showing Richmond fans the skills which saw him star for the Northern Territory during this year's All-Australian under 18 championships.

"Hopefully I will kick a few goals next year in my first game," he said.

"I want to play (in the seniors) next year and hopefully give the crowd something to yell about."

And unlike many youngsters that come to Victoria from the Northern Territory, there is no danger of the confident 18-year-old suffering from homesickness.

"It's not a problem at all," he said.

"I have been looking forward to leaving home for a while so I am happy to get out of the Tterritory."

Tambling says he is thrilled to be joining not only Deledio at Richmond but is excited about playing alongside a host of talented youngsters already at Punt Road such as Daniel Jackson, Tom Roach and Andrew Raines.

"Brett and I know each other which is good and definitely the best thing about going to Richmond is they have a lot of young players already there so I can adapt myself to them and make myself more comfortable within the team."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=178211

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2004, 06:34:27 PM »
I think they picked up pattison as a ruckman more than a forward

198 cms and possibly still growing...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2004, 06:48:34 PM »
I think they picked up pattison as a ruckman more than a forward

198 cms and possibly still growing...

You're right HB. I didn't realise earlier that Pattison was that tall. He was listed in phantom drafts as a KP who could fill-in in the ruck but it looks like he'll now be our young ruckman on our list.

I still can't get over getting both Deledio and Tambling. Been on cloud 9 all afternoon. We're going  to have a bloody awesome midfield in 2-3 years time when these kids start hitting their peak  :thumbsup.