Author Topic: Richard Tambling to play his 100th game this weekend (Herald-Sun)  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richard Tambling to play his 100th game this weekend (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »
Is it the same as shin splints?

I used to suffer shin splints, particularly early in the season when the grounds were hard. At it worst, i found  about 3 hours after a game I could hardly walk and even just standing became painful. Couldn't train until the following thursday.

The problem was solved by a podiatrist who said my feet were rolling inwards as i walked/ran and made me some shoe inserts that gave extra arch support.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tambling's ton of confidence (RFC)
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »
Tambling's ton of confidence
richmondfc.com.au
By Luke Holmesby
Thu 22 April, 2010

RICHARD Tambling has admitted struggling with comparisons with Lance Franklin in the early part of his career, but says he has developed his character as a result.

Tambling was famously taken by Richmond at pick four in the 2004 NAB AFL Draft, one pick before Hawthorn took Franklin.

Franklin's blistering start to his career was often compared to Tambling who suffered confidence problems.

Now on the eve of his 100th game, Tambling says he no longer feels he is living in Franklin's shadow.

"It was a but tough the first couple of years but I've come out the other side a better person and hopefully a better footballer," Tambling said on Thursday morning.

"There's definitely a lot of pressure on an 18-year-old to come out of school and set the world on fire which Buddy did."

More to come.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/92822/default.aspx
Here's the rest of the updated article....

The Tigers take on the much-improved Fremantle this week and Tambling said his side looked at their opponents as an example of a team that can quickly bounce back from being a bottom-four club.

“We are playing a lot of new players this year. We've played almost all the first-year players now," he said.

"We play three good quarters and it is a five or ten minute period that we fade and teams score heavily against us, [but] we are still improving.

"We are setting winning attitudes on and off the field. We are looking forward to the next couple of games and the next 12 months or two years”.

Ben Cousins, Luke McGuane and Dean Polo are all eligible for selection after they were suspended for a week for disciplinary reasons following the round-three mach against the Sydney Swans.

Tambling said the club’s hard line on the trio would serve it well for the future.

“It is setting winning standards for the team. If someone does something wrong they will be punished for it.

"That is what Damien (Hardwick) has set for the team. We’ve got to know what’s right and what’s wrong."

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 05:22:03 PM »
Gotta say I have heard that "Compartment Syndrome" is a nasty one.

Can take a fair bit of time to get over it after the operation as your calf muscles are weaker and when you are involved in alot of running that can be a problem

Yep, was very common in the Army, caused in the great part by prolonged physical activity (running, force marches etc) especially when wearing boots.  Can be painful and debilitating, and is also known by the name "shin splints".  Chronic conditions usually require corrective surgery.
Pretty sure shin splints are stress fractures. Compartment syndrom is a blood flow issue.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 06:14:08 PM »
Pretty sure shin splints are stress fractures. Compartment syndrom is a blood flow issue.

Correct Infamy - a circulation problem thorughout the mucsles & arteries is how it was explained to me
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 06:17:11 PM »
Good luck to Tambling. Hope he has an outstanding game

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 06:27:47 PM »
Gotta say I have heard that "Compartment Syndrome" is a nasty one.

Can take a fair bit of time to get over it after the operation as your calf muscles are weaker and when you are involved in alot of running that can be a problem

Yep, was very common in the Army, caused in the great part by prolonged physical activity (running, force marches etc) especially when wearing boots.  Can be painful and debilitating, and is also known by the name "shin splints".  Chronic conditions usually require corrective surgery.

Looks like we might be both correct.  Shin splints appears to be a syndrome of which there are a few different presentations:

Shin splints is a general term used to refer to a painful condition in the shins. It is often caused by running or jumping or sprinting, and may be very slow to heal. A formal medical term for the condition is medial tibial stress syndrome.

Specific conditions under Shin Splint
Overused muscle
One cause is an overused muscle, either as an acute injury or delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). The muscle pain is caused by any activity that involves running, jumping, also sometimes even walking (especially on concrete). Untreated shin splints can lead to a stress reaction mid-shaft in the tibia, which can eventually lead to a stress fracture. A stress fracture can be diagnosed by a bone scan or an MRI and takes much longer to heal than shin splints.
Chronic compartment syndrome
A problem that can mimic anterior shin splints is chronic compartment syndrome (CCS). This is a serious problem that can lead to significant loss of function in the lower leg. CCS occurs when swelling within the indistensible anterior compartment of the leg reduces blood flow. This relative lack of oxygen, ischemia, can cause more swelling and generate a positive feedback loop. In severe cases the result can be acute compartment syndrome (ACS) which requires emergency surgery to prevent ischemic muscle necrosis due to lack of blood.
Pes Planus
Pes Planus or 'flat feet' is a leading cause of Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome or more commonly medial shin splints. Flat feet causes the posterior tibialis and other muscles of the medial shin to become overstretched, weakened, and inflamed. This is cyclical. The more the muscle(s) is overstretched, the weaker and more inflamed it becomes. The more inflamed and weak it becomes, the worse the symptoms become. The best treatment for functional pes planus is to strengthen the medial tibial muscles. By strengthening these muscles, it is possible to restore the medial arch of the foot alleviating medial shin pain. Physiotherapists and athletic therapists can design plans to strengthen these muscles.

Cavus foot or feet with high arches can also cause shin splints. It can create just as much damage as pes planus. Orthotics inserted in shoes can help this; they drop the foot's metatarsal to accommodate the high arch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints

Ox

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »
this kid is a fine young man and i wish him the best albeit likely to be found at another club.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 06:37:14 PM »
this kid is a fine young man and i wish him the best albeit likely to be found at another club.

something tells me that tambling will be a tiger for life , think all the rumours he is going are bs, as u said he is a fine young men and fine men make great teams

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:58 PM »
I hope he plays a great game and contributes.

100 AFL games.

I only hope if he plays another 100 they are better than the first 100.

Good luck. :thumbsup

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 08:03:50 PM »
Cavus foot or feet with high arches can also cause shin splints. It can create just as much damage as pes planus. Orthotics inserted in shoes can help this; they drop the foot's metatarsal to accommodate the high arch.

So now i know i specifically had Cavus Foot  ;D

Harwick did say to him he was a needed player.

Hardwick did say he would be judged on the improvement of the established players. If he can get the best out of tambling and deledio then things will start to look up.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 11:23:02 PM »
dont worry about RT he is entrenched at Tgerland. :rollin

TigerTimeII

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 12:40:40 AM »
:clapping :clapping :thumbsup :whistle :thumbsup :clapping :bow :cheers :cheers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 06:52:09 AM »

100% spot on  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 07:11:57 PM »
who does Richard van Tamblburg play on this week?

Hill?

TigerTimeII

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 07:16:10 PM »
who does Richard van Tamblburg play on this week?

Hill?

asino!