Author Topic: What are the real differences between the NRL and AFL?  (Read 3826 times)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: What are the real differences between the NRL and AFL?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 11:52:44 PM »
I know very little about the NRL or rugby in general and off field organization structure in particular. I believe they don't have a overall ruling board like the AFL has but I'm not sure about this.

So what are the differences and why do they seem to be continually shooting themselves in the foot?

Stripes

To answer the original question, the AFL and the NRL are differentiated in the sense that the AFL runs its own show. The AFL commission makes the big decisions and in that sense they are the custodians of the game and make all the big decisions on the game and its future.

The NRL is 50% owned by NewsCorp and 50% by Telstra if I recall correctly. There has been a big push in Rugby League circles towards getting an AFL style commission. I believe the NRL are sh*tting themselves over a decline in junior numbers and short term decision making.

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 12:16:15 AM »
The AFL has a draft and League doesn't and thats why the salary cap is so important and therefore rorting it is also so important to acheive an advantage.  The salary cap doesn't make a huge difference in AFL, the rich teams outspend the poor teams in off field spending, sports science, medical etc which is not capped.

Also it is impossible to go buy a good player in AFL.  Carlton only got Judd because they finished last.  Richmond got Ben Cousins because no one else wanted him.  Other than that its impossible to rort the draft as its totally public.

The NRL have got to wake up and impose a draft, its the only sensible way forward, but rugby is run by a bunch of fools so I wouldn't be surprised if they dont.

It's interesting though how the NRL is far, far, far more even than any other code. And pretty much the only mechanism that maintains that parity is the salary cap. The only teams in recent memory that built a dynasty had to cheat the cap. Right or wrong - it's interesting. 

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 11:23:10 AM »
Considerable differences between AFL and NRL.

AFL move Heaven and Earth to ensure the clubs in non AFL states prosper whether in draft concessions or salary cap leeway.

NRL pro Sydney and QLD and want to rip the heart and soul out of a club in the non NRL states.

No wonder Demetriou applauds the balls of Gallup and the NRL with sanctions imposed on Melbourne. One less competitor in theory for Andy D to worry about.

Demetriou has salary cap and such under his own nose with Carlton and Judd deals yet he is more than happy to stick his head in the sand and act like Officer Bar Bardy from South Park nothing to see hear people and then allow another change to the current rules to act as a smokescreen to hide the real issues that make the AFL tick.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 11:38:16 AM »
State of Origin is good.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 11:50:42 AM »
The idea of State of Origin was pinched from the AFL!

From what I vaguely understand their board is made up of self interested representatives from the clubs rather than an independent commission. Interesting what you say tidyman about the ownership by Telestra and News Limited.

On Storm, I have heard reported late last year that News Limited were desperate to sell the ownership of the Storm as the running costs were excessive and they were losing $9 million a year even though they were extremely successful on field (now we know why!). Obviously now no one will bail them out.

In addition League survives considerably more than the AFL on ratings. The ratings for Storm games in Melbourne is abysmal.

Before this blew up, News Limited wants to bundle out of the NRL and have it form an AFL style independent commission with the other clubs putting in the $50 million dollars collectively to help the Storm build to a stage where it can be independent.

Over the next few weeks the Storm crowds will remain loyal. I am more interested in what eventuates beyond this point when reality sets in.

I am only reporting on what I have recently read and the whole scenario seems foreign to me which is why I was hoping to get some people have better understanding of their admin/politics/culture etc to help me understand all this.

The union and oversees incentive is also something I never took into account. Very interesting.

Stripes

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 02:07:21 PM »

Karmichael Hunt's going to be interesting to watch. He grew up playing union in Brissie as a flyhalf/fullback which means he would've kicked a lot, so it'll be a much more natural transition skill-wise.

Plus he also played some AFL as a junior so he is coming with some skills already in place.  The transition for him will be easier than for many others.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:07:48 PM by smokey_58au »

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 02:23:29 PM »
NRL is  a poo game.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 08:30:19 PM »
The AFL has a draft and League doesn't and thats why the salary cap is so important and therefore rorting it is also so important to acheive an advantage.  The salary cap doesn't make a huge difference in AFL, the rich teams outspend the poor teams in off field spending, sports science, medical etc which is not capped.

Also it is impossible to go buy a good player in AFL.  Carlton only got Judd because they finished last.  Richmond got Ben Cousins because no one else wanted him.  Other than that its impossible to rort the draft as its totally public.

The NRL have got to wake up and impose a draft, its the only sensible way forward, but rugby is run by a bunch of fools so I wouldn't be surprised if they dont.

It's interesting though how the NRL is far, far, far more even than any other code. And pretty much the only mechanism that maintains that parity is the salary cap. The only teams in recent memory that built a dynasty had to cheat the cap. Right or wrong - it's interesting. 

I didn't realize it was a more even game, I assume you mean ladder finishing position over time.  I do know players can move quite easily, there seems no restriction on it and they can sign contracts for a different club mid season (Can anyone say conflict of interest).

How much can a team realistically move up or down the ladder in one season? From last to first?  Or only about half way as in the AFL?