Author Topic: The art and development; the kicking skill  (Read 939 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
The art and development; the kicking skill
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:51:27 PM »
The kicking skill: From hand to foot  -> foot to air -> air to team mate.

I will not repeat this again.

The skills of kicking can be improved upon. From nil to something, from somthing to class, from class to elite. However the improvement, the skill can be improved.

Junior players don't train 3 times a week. Junior players have natural ability in certain areas that get them drafted and after specified training hone skills they previously lacked when they were juniors. 1-5 players drafted each year have classy foot skills the rest would be mediocre at best. from 20 onwards would average normal VFL standard.

Did anyone watch On the Couch tonight?

The talked at length on Sydney and there kicking skills. Talked of Malceski one of the elite kicks in the game, couldn't kick over a jam tin when recruited, he's improved inch by inch every year to what he is now. Tadhg Kennelly picked up a oval ball at 20 years of age and is an elite kick. Its common sense, with education and training players improve.

Please for everyone's on here sake understand that if a player can NOT kick at present, with application and attitude they can and will improve.

Its a ongoing chorus of "He can't kick - delist him, trade him, he makes me sick"

Know this: The skill/art of kicking a ball from point A to B can and will be improved. Understand it and dream of it at night.

You will never convince me that players under the age of 22 have 0% chance of improving there foot skills by the age of 24-28 when player performance peaks. Chris Judd was a classy kick at 18. He's now elite; perfect example of the high end improvement. Kennally and Malceski are perfect example of the bottom end improvement. Proof is in the pudding.

Be patient, stop sooking, learn our game and the word = development, please.

:gotigers
Go Tigers!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The art and development; the kicking skill
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:27 PM »
Did anyone watch On the Couch tonight?

The talked at length on Sydney and there kicking skills. Talked of Malceski one of the elite kicks in the game, couldn't kick over a jam tin when recruited, he's improved inch by inch every year to what he is now. Tadhg Kennelly picked up a oval ball at 20 years of age and is an elite kick. Its common sense, with education and training players improve.

OTC again? Must watch this gospel of football. ;) ;D

You've offered two examples where they've been able to correct and there are always exceptions to any rule.
However there are countless examples where players have struggled to rectify their fundamental kicking action no matter how much they practice.

I don't subscribe to your line of thinking in relation to this Pope.
Better to draft players who can kick before they enter the system than try and teach it later IMO.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:58:49 AM »
You will never convince me that players under the age of 22 have 0% chance of improving there foot skills by the age of 24-28 when player performance peaks. Chris Judd was a classy kick at 18. He's now elite; perfect example of the high end improvement. Kennally and Malceski are perfect example of the bottom end improvement. Proof is in the pudding.
I do agree with your post, however when you teach someone with a below average kicking ability good technique, they need to think their way through the process of the kick to ensure their technique stays correct. When under pressure from an opponent they need to rush their disposal and this focus on correct technique gets forgotten as the priority is just to get rid of the ball. Compare that to a player with natural good disposal by foot and they don't need to think their way through a rushed disposal as it just comes naturally.

Clearly there are players who have worked hard to overcome deficiencies, the more they practise and practise on getting it right then they will definitely improve. The question that then remains is if that newly acquired skill will stand up to the high intensity tackling and pressure on the ball carrier of modern day football.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:15:14 AM »
Its like any newly acquired skill, there is a phase where there is some brain filtering involved until it becomes a bit more instinctual, but you are never to old to learn them unless you are truly thick or are not doing repetition drills (with correct technique).  Same with music, kung-fu, dancing whatever. you have to do it til it sticks...  Having said that, there are some people who do have some limitations on their abilities to carry out the functions as well as others, be they physical or mental..  Some people simply psych emselves out like Richo did on a set shot, whenever he didn't get a chance to think about it, and had to snap under pressure, he would kick a freaky arsed shot.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »
MM 100% agree we shouldn't be drafting players who can't kick.

The problem is only 5% of players through the TAC system have the ability to walk into the AFL and kick to the standard required. The rest are normal 18 year olds playing Junior footy with their own positives and negatives. You draft kids that can kick and there marking wont be that of standard. You draft players that can run and carry and they wont have a contested possession in them.

Why do we hang our draftees out to dry when they can't kick like Chris Judd within 2 games? Its embarrassing.

If Malceski or Kennally came to Richmond day 1 they'd be scape-goated with calls for droppings to the VFL ressies. I'm sick of this mind set.

Under 20yo players that can play the AFL standard, that everyone wants, simply don't grow on trees. Picks above 20 can't be expected to walk into the AFL and have a kicking efficiency of 80%. Its embarrassing to hear people talk like it should be. Sure a kid like Fyfe or Rohan Bail or Mitch Banner will have teh odd good game as will the likes of Nason, Astubry, Dea and Taylor.

Be patient give them time and don't expect them to burst onto the scene and consistantly perform week in week out. The heat should be on the likes of Jackson, Simmons, Foley, Cousins, Newman etc that have been in the system for years.
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:03:31 PM »
I still think a bigger issue than disposal is our work rate.
When you have players in space then you don't need pin point kicks that need to thread the eye of the needle to come off
Granted we need to have players get better at kicking the ball to where players are going to be so they don't need to break stride or stop to mark the ball, however I'd be happy if we at least have players creating options first then the rest can come later

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »
I still think a bigger issue than disposal is our work rate.
When you have players in space then you don't need pin point kicks that need to thread the eye of the needle to come off
Granted we need to have players get better at kicking the ball to where players are going to be so they don't need to break stride or stop to mark the ball, however I'd be happy if we at least have players creating options first then the rest can come later

Yeah your spot on.

100% spot on.
Go Tigers!