Author Topic: Coburg vs Williamstown, Sat May 15  (Read 7178 times)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Coburg vs Williamstown, Sat May 15
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2010, 10:40:11 PM »
I'm sorry but the discussion was the Coburg game and the 4 players mentioned were the best players for Coburg thus far.
You're the one who decided to derail the coversation with your ridiculous belief that they are useless and have no future.

How about ripping into players like McMahon & Morton who barely got a mention and are senior players.
Well McMahon will be gone seasons end and Morton could be traded - so what - about McMahon- I was one who was against his recruitment from the start, Morton could be a good player in a good side but maybe he is more value to us being traded for a decent pick- thats up to the club.

I think the real point here is that stating we have crap players on our list is an obvious and simplistic observation - one we expect from certain posters and not others (and you're not one of those posters imo ramps).
We have very few good players or ones that have clear, identifiable talent.
I'd assume that most posters on this forum want to read about the diamonds in the rough-particularly in Coburg side where plenty of us don't get to see the players live. I'd sooner read about someones comments
 seeing some development on Browne than one about him we can all make from our lounge room.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2010, 03:30:43 AM »
Hicks is one player on which I agreed with Jackstar. Not Hick's fault as you can't do anything about your genetics but he's too small for AFL level.

Morton is a massive concern right now. After two fairly decent years as a goalkicker at AFL level he's gone completely off the radar this season even in the VFL  :-\.

Connors has physical tools to be a decent footballer IMO. It's of course the mental and off-field side that's his problem which is what got him suspended.

The usual brigade - Jordie, Thomson, Hislop, King - will be first out the door at the end of the season. Hard to see Gourdis surviving either if he remains playing for Coburg and can't break into the current Richmond side.

I said at the start of the year that Coburg will be fighting it out with Frankston for the wooden spoon.  Forgetting our Richmond duds for the moment, Coburg has lost too much experience since 2008 not to finish in the bottom 4. It's sad when you hear someone like Alastair Neville has walked away from the game disenchanted after being overlooked for a rookie spot on an AFL list yet his old club Coburg could do with his experience back in the midfield right now.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2010, 03:43:25 AM »

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2010, 03:47:53 AM »
It's sad when you hear someone like Alastair Neville has walked away from the game disenchanted after being overlooked for a rookie spot on an AFL list yet his old club Coburg could do with his experience back in the midfield right now.
Given the success of Barlow & Podsiadly this year and the knowledge that clubs will be looking heavily into the state competitions, he couldn't have walked away at a worse time. Should come back ASAP if he really wants a chance.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2010, 09:19:55 AM »
My very quick txt to MT about Thomson was that he along with Kingy were the only 2 RFC blokes who showed any leadership in the 3rd qtr.

I haven't read this thread in full and wont until I get home this evening but I will say this

BrownE was one of the best yesterday actually probably the best game I've seen him play. He played on Roughead (the same one the experts predicted a couple of weeks ago was the next big thing) and Browne easily won that contest

Anyone who thinks Browne isn't a future RFC player is kiiding themselves - much better player going forward than Gus Graham IMO becuae he does the team first things .
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
My very quick txt to MT about Thomson was that he along with Kingy were the only 2 RFC blokes who showed any leadership in the 3rd qtr.

I haven't read this thread in full and wont until I get home this evening but I will say this

BrownE was one of the best yesterday actually probably the best game I've seen him play. He played on Roughead (the same one the experts predicted a couple of weeks ago was the next big thing) and Browne easily won that contest

Anyone who thinks Browne isn't a future RFC player is kiiding themselves - much better player going forward than Gus Graham IMO becuae he does the team first things .

Well lets play him then, I have been saying to play him for ages, what have we got to lose, no point him being in the best for Coburg week after week.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »

Well lets play him then, I have been saying to play him for ages, what have we got to lose, no point him being in the best for Coburg week after week.
Hardwick's job this year is to test every player on the list and make a decision on their career. Playing Graham in the AFL not only tests him at the higher level as a 5th year player, but also gives Browne the #1 ruck spot at Coburg with more game time to step it up a level. So far Browne has already shown he can step up with the extra responsibiltiy, time for Graham to do the same today.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »
There isn't really much I can say about Coburg's game yesterday.

The third quarter was one of the most insipid and pathetic quarters of footy I've witnessed in along time.

Of the RFC boys although Connors was the best of them, he let himself down with some of his talk to his team mates on the ground. One of the great things about VFL footy is that when you are watching you can hear what gets said on the field. One of young Daniel's comments to Jake King inthe 2nd qtr was not what you would call "team orientated". It was terrible to hear it and re-enforced to me that Connors still has a long long way to go in the team first stakes

BrownE - best game I've seen him play. His around the ground work is steadily improving. IMO had Roughhead's measure

Collins - disappointing. Needs to take the first option instead of running around in circles slowing the play and then choosing the wrong option

Gourdis - of the games I seen this year - this was the worst. Kicking let him down

Morton - did he play? Terribly terribly disppointing

Thomson - good. Was very vocal in the 3rd and in and under work good. Kicking still a concern

King - couldn't kick a goal to save himself (4 or 5 behinds i think) but you can never question his commitment of attack on the footy

Jordie - no comment  ;D why give people more reason to whack him

Hislop - it really is a pity tommy's kicking is not better. His inside 50 defensive pressure and tackling is great

O'Reilly - shows some promise but needs to build up his strenght so the tackles stick

Post - same as previous - lakcs intensity

I was sooooooooooooooo relieved that I had to leave early  :rollin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2010, 04:33:56 AM »
Round 6 Match Report
Coburg Tigers website

Seniors

We met arch rivals Williamstown at ABD Stadium in perfect conditions.

We got away to a great start having 4 goals on the board before Williamstown scored their first goal.

By the end of the first quarter we had registered 6 majors and we dominated that quarter with drive through the midfield from Thomson, Hislop and Power.

The 2nd quarter was an even tussle with both sides being very inaccurately in front of goals with us kicking 1.7 to Willi 2.7.

The 2nd half was just a nightmare with Williamstown kicking 11.7 to 1.0 in the 3rd quarter and putting an end to our chances of winning.

Everything we did in the first half just did not happen in the 2nd half and it was very disappointing.

Coburg:                6.4          7.11        8.11        11.15
Williamstown:     1.3          3.10        14.17     20.18

Goals:Lawton 2, Duhau, Hislop, Collins, McMahon, Thomson, King, Morton, Power, Jordon

Best: Connors, Power, Clifton, Duhau, Browne.

Reserves:

The boys were keen to do well against our 2007 Reserves premiership coach Adam Potter who joined Williamstown this year.

While we were never in front on the scoreboard,the boys were always in the hunt,but Williamstown’s experience told out in the end.

James Kandalakis played his best game for the club and gave us great drive through the middle and also kicked 3 running goals.

Also Murphy Ambrose was solid across half back and Brendan Fewster again showed he will be a valuable player for us as the year goes on.

Rob Hicks could push for senior promotion in the coming weeks as his pace around half forward is important.

Coburg:              2.3          4.7          7.12        12.14
Williamstown:     5.1          9.6          11.10     16.12

Goals:Kandalakis 3, Cattapan 2, M.Ambrose 2, Geister 2, Fewster, Lucin, Dennis

Best: Fewster, Kandalakis, Hicks, Cattapan, M.Ambrose

Next game will be against Northern Bullants at NAB Oval on May 29th.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10471-0-0&sID=56260&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=12124361&sectionID=56260

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
VFL: Seagulls overrun Coburg (RFC)
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2010, 04:45:25 AM »
VFL: Seagulls overrun Coburg
richmondfc.com.au 6:30 PM Mon 17 May, 2010

Richmond’s VFL affiliate, the Coburg Tigers, produced a stunning first half display against top side Williamstown at the weekend before being eventually overwhelmed.

The Tigers led by 25 points at half time, but an 11-goal third quarter by the Seagulls took the game out of reach.

Williamstown won by 57 points, but Coburg coach David Newett saw plenty of positives in the performance.

“We were really happy with the way the boys came out.  We thought it was a non-competitive performance against Casey the week before, and in the first half we played outstanding footy,” he said.

“We controlled the game, and at half time the boys were really positive.

“In the third quarter Williamstown really upped their intensity, we turned the ball over too often and they capitalised.”

Daniel Connors was outstanding across half back, collecting a team-high 32 possessions and six inside 50s.

“Dan’s in really in good form, and it’s been a real credit to him the way he’s prepared for playing in the VFL and the level he has been able to produce,” Newett said.

Newett also praised the efforts of Jake King, who picked up 23 disposals, eight inside 50s and had seven scoring shots.

Tom Hislop (15 touches and seven marks) was also lauded for his efforts in the forward half, while Andrew Browne battled hard in the ruck for 24 hitouts.

The VFL competition takes a break this weekend for state representative matches.

Coburg’s next match is against the Northern Bullants on Saturday May 29 at NAB Oval.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/94495/default.aspx

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: VFL: Seagulls overrun Coburg (RFC)
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2010, 08:38:14 AM »
The VFL competition takes a break this weekend for state representative matches.

Coburg’s next match is against the Northern Bullants on Saturday May 29 at NAB Oval.
Looks like an enforced rest for Griffiths then which should ensure his shoulder has at least 3 weeks to recover

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010, 08:33:18 PM »
did Astbury play?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2010, 08:49:55 PM »

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2010, 08:59:42 PM »
did Astbury play?

NO
I seen him at the game and overheard him telling someone he was resting.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2010, 09:04:10 PM »
did Astbury play?

NO
I seen him at the game and overheard him telling someone he was resting.

will Astbury play against Essendon?