Author Topic: Tigers vs Port game thread  (Read 7007 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Tigers vs Port game thread
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »
Any full vision on the net of Cousins interview after the game?
Go Tigers!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2010, 08:07:06 PM »

If Collins didn't grab the jumper would he have got the free do you think?

No, I think it would have been play on as others have said they were both locking arms.

See the disconnect here Al (and also the reason I believe it was a shocking game-changing decision)?  As you state/believe - if Collins had not 'held' his opponent by grabbing his jumper then it would have been play-on because both players were 'holding'!  So you are saying that there is holding and there is holding?  Any wonder the state of umpiring our great game is at the lowest point I can ever recall.  And I do agree with you that the jumper tug is a visual thing but that's just my point - holding IS holding, regardless of the bloody way it's done and if those over-paid, M & M coloured, protected, prancing horses can't adjudicate correctly on such a simple act as holding another player then what hope do we have?

What i'm saying is that when two players lock arms, who do you you pin for holding? You see it in many marking and ruck contests where it is impossible to tell exactly who is responsible, if you are looking at it objectively. Sometimes you will see a player lock an opponents arm in an attempt to fool that umpire that they are being held.

But when a player grabs a jumper and the umpire sees it he simply has to pay the free kick, simply because it stands out so much as to who is holding who. If you want the umpires to let some go and not others, gee that opens up a whole can of worms. As you say that would then be a case of there being holding and there being holding.

If the roles were reversed and a port forward grabbed a Richmond Backmans jumper and the umpire let it go allowing Port to kick a match winning goal, would you be happy with the decision? I'm sure that if that happened these forums would ignite with abuse for the umps for missing an "obvious" holding the jumper?

The simple fact is the players know that if they are caught grabbing an opponents jumper they will be pinned. Sometimes they take the risk and sometimes they get away with it. In this case the ump saw it and paid the free.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2010, 09:27:22 PM »

If the roles were reversed and a port forward grabbed a Richmond Backmans jumper and the umpire let it go allowing Port to kick a match winning goal, would you be happy with the decision? I'm sure that if that happened these forums would ignite with abuse for the umps for missing an "obvious" holding the jumper?

I would be savage Al, thank you for highlighting out my lack of objectivity!   :whistle

You are right but I just don't think it is that hard an area to adjudicate on - as soon as you grab hold of an opponent without the ball - anywhere on his body - holding the man, and if both are guilty then play on.  Doesn't take a Rhodes Scholarship winner to identify if it was a jumper hold or body hold surely.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2010, 07:49:48 AM »
 :lol The objectivity comment wasn't directed at you smokey, nor even to this particular decision. It's just that I have engaged in at least one long 'discussion' with a mate over who was holding who in a marking contest. Of course the two players involved were from our respective teams. Strangley neither of us could convince the other of our respective point of view.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2010, 08:01:45 AM »
all fair calls, can get confusing I spose.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2010, 06:40:40 PM »
Last week's banner was another great job by our Cheer Squad wasn't it :clapping

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame