Author Topic: Bachar Houli [merged]  (Read 332104 times)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Bachar Houli Airlifted to Melbourne after Car Accident [merged]
« Reply #1770 on: June 11, 2023, 10:38:28 PM »
Pretty awful news. Hope Bachar has full recovery.

Ditto
Good luck Bachar

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1771 on: June 12, 2023, 12:43:24 AM »
Bloody hell....never a dull moment following this club..... :lightning
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond legend Bachar Houli ‘a little spooked’ after crash as doctors mull surgery

Marta Pascual Juanola and Carla Jaeger
The Age
June 12, 2023 — 12.32pm

Retired Richmond premiership player Bachar Houli might need to undergo surgery for a broken pelvis in Melbourne after suffering serious injuries when a ute rolled near Canberra at the weekend.

Houli was on a camping trip with his brother-in-law and a close cousin when the ute they were travelling in lost traction while going downhill and rolled at a farm on Sunday morning.

Houli suffered multiple fractures in the incident and was initially taken as a non-critical patient to Albury Base Hospital by ambulance.

He was later flown to Royal Melbourne Hospital, where he was in stable condition on Monday morning.

Houli’s older brother, Dr Nezor Houli, said the retired footballer remained in good spirits despite his injuries, showing a “typical Bachar calm demeanour”.

“Bachar was seen by me and his brothers this morning at Royal Melbourne Hospital,” Dr Houli, a general, liver and pancreatic surgeon, said.

“He might need surgery on the pelvis in the next 24 hours and family will be updated. Please pray and make dua [an Islamic prayer used to ask for assistance from God] for quick recovery.”

Academic and TV personality Waleed Aly, a close friend of Houli, was among those visiting the former footballer in the hospital.

“It’s a fairly decent road back, but there’s nothing life-threatening,” Aly said. “It’s just a bit of a shock.

“The really great thing is that there doesn’t seem to be any head injury involved.”

Aly said after the crash Houli’s phone landed next to him, meaning one of the passengers could call for help to the private property. The owner of the property also rushed to the group’s aid.

“The main theme of his talking seemed to be how easily it could’ve been so much worse … that’s what he seemed to be turning over in his head,” Aly said.

“I think he’s a little bit spooked, but he’s taking it really easily.”

Houli’s brother-in-law was taken to Canberra Hospital for treatment, where he remained in stable condition on Monday. His cousin wasn’t injured in the crash.

Houli, 35, retired in 2021 after 232 AFL games in a career that started at Essendon but blossomed at the Tigers, where he was a pivotal member of the three premiership teams (2017, 2019 and 2020).

A spokeswoman for Richmond confirmed on Monday the club was aware of the incident, but were awaiting more details before commenting.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-legend-bachar-houli-a-little-spooked-after-crash-as-doctors-mull-surgery-20230612-p5dfs0.html

Broadsword

« Reply #1773 on: June 12, 2023, 01:11:12 PM »
Best wishes to Bachar and his family for a speedy recovery.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1774 on: June 12, 2023, 01:23:04 PM »
Get well soon champ.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1775 on: June 12, 2023, 01:23:49 PM »
Glad to hear Bach and the other two fellas are all in stable conditions.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1777 on: June 13, 2023, 03:43:40 PM »
Benny Gale said Bachar is in a pretty bad way. He's being operated on today. Thankfully, Bachar is going to make a good recovery albeit it will be a long recovery.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1778 on: June 13, 2023, 05:21:47 PM »
Gale also provided an update on retired three-time premiership hero Bachar Houli, who was involved in a serious car accident on Sunday, which resulted in a broken pelvis, shoulder and punctured lung. Senior leader Trent Cotchin has visited his former teammate in hospital.

"He's in a pretty bad way, Bachar. He got banged up and sustained some serious injuries. He's being operated on as we speak, but thankfully, he's going to make a good recovery. It's going to be a long one, there's a long road ahead, but that's positive news," Gale said.

"The member of his extended family, Khaled, we're also very mindful of at the moment, he's in intensive care, but he's making good progress and thankfully we expect him to recover as well.

"[Houli] is obviously very dear to our hearts at this club and to football in general."

Source: AFL website.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1780 on: June 24, 2023, 05:41:40 PM »
Richmond great Bachar Houli provides hospital update after horror car crash in Canberra during camping weekend: 'I'm grateful to have another opportunity in life'

By DAN CANCIAN
DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
 24 June 2023

Richmond great Bachar Houli said he was grateful to have 'another opportunity in life' as he shared an emotional update from hospital, almost two weeks after surviving a serious car crash.

The 35-year-old was airlifted to a Melbourne hospital on June 12 after he suffered a broken pelvis and other fractures when his ute rolled following a camping weekend with friends.

The former three-time premiership star retired in 2021 after an illustrious career, comprising 232 games, including 26 with Essendon and 206 with Richmond.

'I hope everyone’s having a fantastic day. I just wanted to share this short message as a means of gratitude,' Houli said in a video he shared on Instagram.

'I just wanted to show my gratitude for all those caring people out here who have asked about my progress.

'I’ve had a successful operation for my pelvis, which had a fair bit of damage in it. That’s obviously taken care of.'

Houli's brother-in-law Khaled was also involved in the crash, which occurred near Canberra.

Khaled was is reported to have suffered a more serious condition, but his circumstances remain unclear.   

'The fact that I’m able to breathe again, to have another opportunity in life that the Almighty has given me,' Houli, a devout Muslim, said.

'Because it could’ve been very well been much worse.

'He truly tests those who he loves. I’m taking it to mean that the Almighty loves me and he’s put me through this test. And there’s wisdom behind it.

'Thank you everyone for your support. I really, really appreciate it. Inshallah god willing I can catch up with you all and share some smiles.

'But the good thing is I’m in good spirits and good care. Extremely great care.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/afl/article-12227547/Richmond-great-Bachar-Houli-provides-hospital-update-horror-car-crash-Canberra.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Bachar Houli [merged]
« Reply #1781 on: November 24, 2023, 02:36:33 PM »
Houli opens up: Peace, purpose and his brush with death

Scott Gullan
HeraldSun
24 November 2023

It was Bachar Houli’s favourite trip of the year, a fishing and hunting adventure up to the Murray Region in NSW.

The trip to the Bringenbrong property combined two of his greatest passions in life and on this particularly cold June morning, Houli was excited about what lay ahead.

For the previous three years he’d come to the same place, along with his brother-in-law Khaled and a friend, where they’d share dinner each night with the farmer and his family who owned the property.

It was a great escape and one of the highlights of the trip was always the early morning wild deer hunt.

As usual there was a sense of excitement among the trio as they set off with Houli driving his Jeep across the rugged terrain with the Snowy Mountains in the distance.

The usual banter between them was flying thick and fast before suddenly there was silence. And then the screams.

Houli doesn’t recall exactly what happened next. He remembers briefly being in mid-air and then waking up in the field.

“It happened too quick,” Houli explains. “I was in mid-air, not even 10 seconds then bang. I got spat outside, thrown out of the roof and knocked out.

“It turns out we’d slipped on a little ledge and then the slope of the mountain got the better of me. The car tipped over and off it went. I did everything right, you look back and ask, could I have done anything different? Not one thing I could have done differently, it was just this one slip.”

While his brother-in-law remained in the ute as it rolled, Houli’s friend did the smart thing and jumped out which potentially saved their lives.

“It’s funny because we always bag him for not taking risks, not being a risk taker yet he was the smart one who jumped out,” Houli said.

“If we didn’t have our mate jump out of the car then things could have been much worse.

“It was a Sunday morning, the farmer wasn’t working and normally the farmer has dinner with us every night but we weren’t actually having dinner with him that night because he had plans elsewhere so it could have been a couple of days before anyone found us.

“God saved us. We have done something right in our life and we live another day to tell the story.”

When he regained consciousness Houli knew he was in serious trouble. The pain was intense and he could barely move. Thankfully, his mobile phone had landed near-by and they were able to call for help.

Houli, who had suffered multiple fractures, was initially taken to Albury Base Hospital before being flown to Royal Melbourne Hospital. Khaled was rushed to Canberra Hospital where he was placed in intensive care.

Five months on and Houli is sitting in a cafe in Altona North a relieved and happy man. He’s just been out fishing on his boat by himself, something he’s only just recently been able to do again.

The injury toll of the crash was a broken pelvis in multiple areas and a badly ruptured rotator cuff of his right shoulder which saw tendons torn off the bone.

He was in hospital for two weeks, confined to a wheelchair for another 10 weeks. He still struggles lifting up his right arm while running, which was his favourite way to remain fit, is off the agenda.

Throughout his 15-year AFL career Houli had avoided any serious injuries with the regulation hamstring, calf and groin strains his biggest issues.

He admits he still had the football mentality in the initial stages of his recovery, thinking he’d be back and up and moving quickly.

“The surgeon kept saying you’re in a bad position, don’t think this is a three-month thing and you are going to walk and start running,” Houli said.

“The whole time I thought I wasn’t that bad but he kept saying this is long-term, it’s a six to 12 month recovery at least.”
One thing the accident did do was force him to watch football again. Since he retired at the end of 2021 after 232 games and three premierships, the 35-year-old hasn’t engaged with the AFL.

“I don’t miss it,” he says. “The only footy I watched, we’re talking proper consecutive footy, was when I got hurt with the accident because I had no choice, sitting in bed watching every single game. I had my time, 15 years in the system I was able to achieve what I wanted to achieve. I go into the club and see the boys now and then, they ask me how it is. I’m fishing, I’m hunting, I’m working in the Foundation, I’m loving life.

“I’m very content, I could have gone on for another year or two and if it had of come my way I probably would have accepted it but it (retirement) definitely came at a good time.

“There were two things I wanted out of footy, health and good form and they are two things I guess I ticked the box.”

The brush with death – his brother-in-law is thankfully also on the road to recovery – certainly heightened Houli’s perspective on life.

“It was scary but what got me through is two things, the element of faith in my life and always being grateful for every opportunity,” he explains.

“Even when I’m in a wheelchair I can still talk, I am still able to communicate, still able to see my family.

“The other thing is there is always somebody worse off so be grateful regardless. It comes back to gratitude, the biggest thing for me is my faith, it helped me in footy, helped me in life and will continue to help me for life.

“I know what my true purpose is in this life.”

NEW VENTURE​

Houli’s new purpose is the Islamic College of Sport, the latest project in his quest to develop young leaders within the Muslim community.

It is his biggest and boldest project yet after he started his community work a decade ago through football programs. Then in 2019 he established the Bachar Houli Foundation which creates employment pathways and promotes social cohesion and inclusion for young Muslims through football.

His first football academy back in 2013 went for two days for 50 Year 7-8 students. Now he has 12 programs nationally, male and female, and over the journey they have reached more than 35,000 participants.

The Foundation has a foothold in five states, with two employees in each, while its employment program has provided 30 traineeships with 80 per cent of participants receiving full-time employment across the AFL.

Houli loves helping young people from his community succeed and he sees the school, which opens in Coburg next year, as a game-changer.

They are starting slowly with just 25 students at Year 11 level with Year 12 to be added in 2025. The big picture plan is to expand through Year 7-12 with multiple campuses around Melbourne.

The school is aimed at giving young Muslim students the opportunity to pursue their passion for sport in a religiously and culturally welcoming environment. Students will receive the Victorian Certificate of Education – Vocational Major – at the end of their studies.

“We are the first in the world to open something with the faith aspect to it,” Houli explains. “Ultimately these kids love sport but clearly haven’t found the balance between sport and education.

“Here they are going to pursue sport but still get some sort of achievement and certificate in education. And in a safe environment where they can feel comfortable about their faith.”

“We got this idea through conversations we had with many of our academy students. A lot of these students have gone to Islamic schools all their life and then all of sudden for them to transition to a normal school, the parents find it a little bit hard.

“There is a gap and we identified the gap that needed to be filled.

“Where we are excited about is there will be a high performance sport program intertwining the curriculum and it will be multi-sport, not just football but also sports like cricket, basketball, soccer and taekwondo.”

The students will be mentored by experts in each field including Olympic 800m runner Peter Bol, former St Kilda player Ahmed Saad, who is the Foundation’s program manager, and former Victorian cricketer Fawad Ahmed.

Houli talks a lot about the “power of sport”. He was fortunate to experience that in the AFL while so many of his friends never got their chance because they fell through the cracks with no programs or role models in place to guide them.

“We know the power of sport and what it can do,” he says. “I’m so passionate about giving more of our youth an opportunity through sport and then they will be the example for the next generation to come.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-premiership-hero-bachar-houli-opens-up-on-horror-car-crash-his-new-purpose-and-why-he-wants-peace-in-gaza/news-story/6c3c5423563cfd1aad5ba28dca82ee19