Author Topic: Tigers take on Indigenous All-Stars Friday Feb 4 in Alice Springs - CANCELLED  (Read 21180 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers take on Indigenous All-Stars Feb 3 (Not Moved to Alice Springs)
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »
It seems the HUN has jumped  the gun

No official decision made on where the game will be transferred to

AFL still to inspect the ground in Alice Springs

"We’re sourcing alternate venues including Gardens in Darwin and Traeger Park in Alice Springs. But we can’t make a decision on that until the AFL do a test on those two grounds, " Frawley told afl.com.au.

Frawley said Traeger Park was the preferred venue as it was better equipped to host an AFL standard game and that AFLNT and Richmond would be able to cope with moving the match to Alice Springs.....

.... The AFL is expected to make a decision regarding the game Friday morning."

Full article at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/107038/default.aspx

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

Re: Tigers take on Indigenous All-Stars Feb 3 (Moved to Alice Springs)
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2011, 10:33:24 PM »
There will be no probs with Traeger Park, just about the best surface in the country.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers bleed for Top End (NT News)
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2011, 04:00:58 AM »
Tigers bleed for Top End
GREY MORRIS
NT News
January 28th, 2011

RICHMOND chief executive Brendon Gale has expressed his disappointment at the cancellation of next month's Indigenous All-Stars match in Darwin.

The February 5 game is likely to be played at Traeger Park, in Alice Springs, one day earlier after a rain soaked TIO Stadium failed a surface inspection.

"We were really looking forward to the game because it is such an important celebration of indigenous football," Gale said.

"It obviously took on added significance for us given the recent passing of Maurice Rioli.

"It would have been a wonderful opportunity for us to pay tribute to him in a part of Australia that meant so much to him."

The Tigers' football operations manager, John Monaghan, said the players had prepared for months for the All-Stars game.

"A lot of our young players were ready to play their first game for Richmond and were very keen to put on a good show," he said after flying to Darwin to look at the ground.

"We know we've got a lot of support up here and it would have been great to showcase the club in front of the Darwin people.

"But, at the end of the day, the consistency of the surface and safety of the players themselves were paramount to the league."

Monaghan said the decision to move the game embraced all 17 AFL clubs, not just Richmond.

"But we're prepared to play in Alice Springs, though the decision would have to be made quickly," he said.

"The independent turf expert has got to assess the ground in Alice Springs now.

"With a long AFL season ahead, you can't risk players being injured this early in the season."

But Richmond fans will get to see the Tigers at TIO Stadium this year.

The team will play Port Adelaide in a premiership match in Darwin on May 28.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/01/28/209251_ntsport.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2011, 04:03:31 AM »
Details on where the game will be played yet are still not officially confirmed.....

All-Stars game on the move
The Australian
January 28, 2011

RICHMOND's game against the Indigenous All-Stars has been shifted from Darwin's TIO Stadium because of concerns over the playing surface following monsoonal rains.

But AFL Northern Territory is yet to confirm if the exhibition game, which was set for February 5 in Darwin, will now be played in Alice Springs on February 3.

"Due to the recent monsoonal rains and a drainage issue, oval No 1 at TIO Stadium did not pass an inspection conducted by an independent AFL ground inspection team, due to concerns over the quality of the surface," AFLNT chief Tony Frawley said yesterday in a statement.

"We are hugely disappointed with this outcome, particularly as we have been working round the clock in conjunction with the NT government to rectify the issue.

"However, we now must move forward and a plan has immediately been put in place to source an alternative venue."

Frawley said match details "will be released in the next 24 hours".

The independent inspector found that despite the best efforts of AFLNT and the NT government, 10 per cent of the oval's surface was not yet at the required standard. The threat of further rain would hinder attempts to fix the problem, Frawley said.

"We sincerely apologise to all patrons in Darwin who were looking forward to attending the game," he said. "We realise that this last-minute relocation will disappoint many of the football-loving public."

But he said the the rain had left them with no alternative.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/all-stars-game-on-the-move/story-e6frg7mf-1225995740731

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2011, 04:18:35 AM »
If it's now being moved to Alice Springs then things have changed since Tuesday as I was told by a Club official that if the match was moved it wouldn't be in played in the NT at all  ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers bleed for Top End (NT News)
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2011, 06:57:06 AM »
The Tigers' football operations manager, John Monaghan, said the players had prepared for months for the All-Stars game.

Err that's Ross Monaghan  ;D

Offline tiger74

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »
If it is moved to Alice Springs then the AFL should pay for train tickets for the public from Darwin to attend the game :rollin need a bloody long train though :whistle

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2011, 12:11:11 PM »
Why is the weather the AFL's fault?

Offline tiger74

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »
Its not their fault its their game and apparently its for the Darwin Indigenous community also i'm quite sure the AFL can afford it.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2011, 04:30:09 PM »
If it is moved to Alice Springs then the AFL should pay for train tickets for the public from Darwin to attend the game :rollin need a bloody long train though :whistle

Its ok, Al said he would make the quick dash down the Stuart and pick up any hitchhikers wearing the black and yellow!   :P

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2011, 05:43:35 PM »
there's only limited room so it will be put out or get out  :-*
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers take on Indigenous All-Stars Friday Feb 4 in Alice Springs
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »
Tigers and All Stars to clash in Alice Springs

By Tim Clarke
SportsNewsFirst
28 January 2011 05:38PM EST

THE AFL clash between the Indigenous All Stars team and Richmond will now take place in Alice Springs after the original venue in Darwin was ruled unfit.

It was decided on Thursday the state of the playing surface at Darwin's Marrara Oval was too wet to host the clash between the Tigers and the Indigenous side, placing the encounter in serious jeopardy.

But after Darwin's Gardens Oval was deemed too wet, Traeger Park in Alice Springs was given the nod to be played next Friday February 4, at 7.10pm.

“This is a great outcome for the NT as despite being forced to cancel the game at TIO stadium in Darwin the game is now staying in the Territory,” said AFL Northern Territory CEO Tony Frawley.

“AFLNT will now commit all it’s available resources to putting the game on in seven days and we are confident that the game will be exceptionally well supported by the footy loving public of Alice Springs.

“Tickets will be available to members of public from various outlets on Monday, and patrons can also pay at the gate on the night however demand will be high so we encourage all those wishing to attend to pre purchase their tickets.”

Richmond said they were excited about the prospect of playing the game in Alice Springs.

“It is fantastic that this game is able to go ahead – it really is game, and a celebration of Indigenous culture, that we are proud to be involved in,” Richmond CEO Brendon Gale said.

“Alice Springs is a part of Australia that Richmond has had close ties with through our fostership program so we are thrilled it has been identified as a suitable venue.

“Richmond Football Club and Alice Springs also have a great connection to the Bowden family which provides another significant connection.

“I’m sure the people of Alice Springs will support this game and we look forward to being there next weekend.”

AFLNT said anyone in Darwin who bought a ticket would get a full refund

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/01/28/tigers-and-all-stars-to-clash-in-alice-springs/

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »
All well & good especially for those people in the Alice - glad it's going ahead

But what us here in Melb and the TV coverage?

No mention of it  :-\

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2011, 06:12:07 PM »
All well & good especially for those people in the Alice - glad it's going ahead

Well before it can be put into a new guide the game had to be confirmed. I'm sure abc1 won't let us down.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2011, 06:14:11 PM »

Well before it can be put into a new guide the game had to be confirmed. I'm sure abc1 won't let us down.

Primetime on a Friday night  ??? I wouldn't be surprised if they do  ;D