Author Topic: Tigers take on Indigenous All-Stars Friday Feb 4 in Alice Springs - CANCELLED  (Read 21179 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers take on Indigenous All-Stars Friday Feb 4 in Alice Springs
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2011, 07:20:33 PM »
That sucks the big fat hairy one smokey.
Will the ABC stream it on the web??

Not sure Al.  Checked their site but it doesn't mention it yet.  Not holding out much hope but I'm pretty much used to it here regarding pre-season games.  Fingers crossed that the 2nd team will force the local station moguls to rethink their coverage but again, not confident.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »
what day is our squad to be announced and any idea who is playing for the all stars
Pearce from Port Adelaide is playing for the All Stars. I think Goodes will be also. Hardwick said on the radio we'll be taking a young side up there and that Foley and Cotch won't be playing. That makes more sense now given the game will be played two days before a cricket match so the centre of the ground will be hard. Not the conditions for players overcoming achilles issues in the past.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2011, 07:28:05 PM »

Not sure Al.  Checked their site but it doesn't mention it yet.  Not holding out much hope but I'm pretty much used to it here regarding pre-season games.  Fingers crossed that the 2nd team will force the local station moguls to rethink their coverage but again, not confident.
ABC's IVIEW site will probably have a replay available on the net.

I don't think any of the tv guides have been updated as they still have the game being telecast on Saturday.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2011, 08:17:49 PM »
The game will be shown live on ABC1 on Friday night :thumbsup

Dare I ask for Chutney please, Mr. OE.  :police:
Don't you trust me TA?  :laugh:

Source: RFC twitter  ;)

In reply to tweet I sent Mr RFC-O  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »

ABC's IVIEW site will probably have a replay available on the net.

I don't think any of the tv guides have been updated as they still have the game being telecast on Saturday.

Thanks OE.  I had another look at the TV guide and we were going to get the game on Sat night so I hold out a slim hope that we might get Friday's.  Not all lost yet!  :pray

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2011, 02:18:01 AM »
It seems the teams will be announced on Wednesday.

All Stars give AFL recruits a showcase
Daniel Lewis, Sydney
January 31, 2011

THERE'S the pressure of high expectations for any player signed to an AFL club, then there's the kind of pressure you get when, without ever having played an AFL game, your dad - the Northern Territory sports minister, no less - likens you to a great like Andrew McLeod.

If that wasn't enough pressure, the Aboriginal All Stars team you are likely to play for is to have its big match against Richmond shifted to your home town of Alice Springs.

That's what faces 17-year-old Greater Western Sydney recruit Curtly Hampton.

Ahead of the game on Friday, Hampton was in Blacktown yesterday with the AFL's other indigenous talent as part of a three-day AFL Players' Association camp operating out of Redfern's National Centre of Indigenous Excellence.

A record 86 indigenous players are on AFL lists and Hampton promises to be a standout.

Territory-born McLeod, who retired last year after 16 seasons with Adelaide, is one of the AFL's greatest indigenous players and a previous captain of the All Stars team.

He will also help pick the 2011 team.

This is the 10th such camp for indigenous players.

The All Stars coach, former Sydney player Michael O'Loughlin, said the camp was a selection exercise for his team and also allowed young players to learn from mentors such as All Stars captain Adam Goodes.

The most common question was about how to have a long professional playing career, he said.

The All Stars team, which had its only defeat in 2007 when it played Essendon, is to be named on Wednesday.

Not all indigenous players are available for selection and O'Loughlin said it was likely some young recruits would be thrown ''into the deep end''.

Asked if he had the raw materials available to pick a side that can beat Richmond, O'Loughlin said: ''It's certainly going to be a challenge.

''The Tigers are on the way up. We've got our work cut out. There's not too much height. We're looking for a ruckman, if you know somebody, send them down to the camp and we'll select them.''

Monsoon rain has made Darwin's Marrara Oval unsafe so the game will be played at Traegar Park in Alice Springs, with Hampton's father Karl - the local member of parliament - hoping for a crowd of at least 10,000.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/all-stars-give-afl-recruits-a-showcase-20110130-1a9oa.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2011, 12:05:34 PM »
RT @ABCTV_Australia
The Indigenous All Stars game will air live this Friday at 8.30-11pm (AEDT). They play the @Richmond_FC
#AFL #ABC1

Source: RFC twitter

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »
Thanks OE and WP.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2011, 01:04:52 PM »
Ok, so the game is on this Friday.

I assume that these guys won't be playing if they are appearing at Regional Family Days on Saturday.

Geelong:
Brett Deledio, Nathan Foley, Angus Graham, Bachar Houli, Ben Griffiths

Ballarat:
Trent Cotchin, Daniel Jackson, Jayden Post, Mitch Farmer, Shaun Grigg, Luke McGuane

Hobart:
Jack Riewoldt, Tom Hislop, Robbie Hicks, Brad Helbig
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2011, 01:11:25 PM »
B: Moore, Thursfield, Gourdis
HB: Batchelor, Astbury, Connors
C: Conca, Contin, Edwards
HF: McDonald, Miller, Nason
F: Taylor, Vickery, King
R: Browne, Martin, Tuck
Int: Derickx, Rance, Dea, Morton

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »
Front and Square

They’re all intra-club games, with the exception of Friday night’s clash in Alice Springs between Richmond and the Indigenous All-Stars. The Tigers are the latest club to show the top end a little bit of love, although they’re justifiably disappointed that weeks of torrential rain in Darwin rendered TIO Stadium unplayable, therefore robbing the match of the opportunity to pay tribute to Maurice Rioli, the former Tiger star and Northern Territory football icon who died of a heart attack on Christmas Day.

The Tigers will soon open the ME Bank Centre, their new training and administrative facility at Punt Road. The top floor of the swish new building will be the Korin Gamadji (‘grow and emerge’) Institute, established as a learning and skill development facility for the indigenous community, and the Tigers were looking towards the trip to Darwin for the educational opportunities it offered as much as the football match.

Don’t expect the Tigers to send their best 22 to Traeger Park Oval on Friday night. Richmond coach Damien Hardwick told Front and Square that the match will be a chance to have a strong look at his younger players, to track their development and to see whether they’ve bought in to the Tiger game-plan.

“It’s all about round one for us, but it’s time to get them up and going,” he said. “We’ll take 30 players and they’ll mainly be kids.”

Interestingly, Hardwick nominated David Gourdis and Alex Rance without prompting as two players who will be under the spotlight in Alice Springs. Both are in the mid 190cm range and should be nailing down regular senior berths, particularly Rance who is in his third season with the Tigers. The Tigers are establishing a deep and talented midfield and see the key positions as their next area of improvement.

It has been a smoother pre-season for Hardwick, who is embarking on his second season as coach. An exercise that may have taken three hours in the lead-up to last season has taken half that this time around, and the air of uncertainty and unfamiliarity that hovers over a new coach has been replaced by comfort and stability. “Training has been great because the guys understand what we want to do,” he said.

And while the squad in Alice Springs will be light on in terms of both experience and age, the expectations remain strong. “The players and coaches have worked hard so we want to see how that reflects in how that sets up in a game,” he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=107116

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2011, 05:03:32 PM »
The game will be shown live nationally according to the ABC tv guide  :thumbsup

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/all/netw/201102/20110204.htm

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2011, 05:44:08 AM »
Jason Mifsud, the AFL's community engagement manager, said Richmond had been doing a lot of work in central Australia for the past three years so had been keen to play the All-Stars in the Northern Territory.

''Thankfully a lot of the clubs now are wanting to play this game against the All-Stars because they see it as a great curtain-raiser to their season proper,'' Mifsud said.

''We had a number of clubs that were interested in playing against the All-Stars [this year] and because of Richmond's efforts in central Australia in recent times we thought it was fitting that they got the opportunity.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/gws-wants-an-allstars-kickoff-20110131-1ab5w.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2011, 12:52:56 PM »
RICHMOND can expect the football to be blistering fast and free-wheeling, when it clashes with the Aboriginal All-Stars on Friday night, warns Essendon speedster Alwyn Davey.

Dual Brownlow medallist Adam Goodes will captain the All-Stars and Davey says footy fans in Alice Springs will be treated to a super-fast game at Traeger Park.

The team is expected to be announced shortly

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/107163/default.aspx

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
Wow, O-E, I'm seriously impressed that the game got live airtime here in Sydney.  Many thanks for the news.