Author Topic: Chat with Matt Hornsby - Jan 11  (Read 2787 times)

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
Chat with Matt Hornsby - Jan 11
« on: January 10, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »
Tomorrow, 12pm AEST, richmondfc.com.au

Chat with Elite Performance Manager Matt Hornsby, have all your fitness/summer body questions ready!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Chat with Matt Hornsby - Jan 11
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 06:56:59 AM »
Matt, be prepared for a zillion "how is Foley's ankle/achilles" questions :yep

I bet also someone will ask who was to blame for Axel playing in round 1, 2009 and did the coaching staff at the time override the medical/fitness staff.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:14:14 AM »
Matt, i am keen on seeing Ty Vickery's performances on the playing field begin to progress to the next level! Has his fitness and upper body strength improved this pre season?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:01:52 AM »
Matt, be prepared for a zillion "how is Foley's ankle/achilles" questions :yep

I bet also someone will ask who was to blame for Axel playing in round 1, 2009 and did the coaching staff at the time override the medical/fitness staff.

:lol
I bet it gets ignored though
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »
Matt, i am keen on seeing Ty Vickery's performances on the playing field begin to progress to the next level! Has his fitness and upper body strength improved this pre season?

I think you will have join in the official chat/blog this arvo to ask your question GR
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 08:55:45 AM »

I think you will have join in the official chat/blog this arvo to ask your question GR
Oh yes! I see now!  :lol Thanks, WP!

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame

gerkin greg

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 12:29:16 PM »
[Comment From Whitey]
Hey Matt, when can I stop kicking footies and do some more running?

[Reply from Hornsby]
When you can kick better

:lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 03:32:06 PM »
Here's the Q&A......

[Comment From Guest: ]
will Axel be ready for Round one and is Cotchin reinjured being in the rehab grouop?

Nathan has joined full training post Christmas and we anticipate that he will have an involvement in our practice match series in preparation for round 1.

Trent hasnt been in the rehab group all summer, and is training well.

[Comment From Kale: ]
Who has put on the most weight over the pre-season so far?

That would be Dave Astbury

[Comment From wayne: ]
I notice that a lot of the taller guys aren't doing the running loads that the smaller players are doing. Is this to help build and keep extra bulk?

Good point. We try and keep their training very specific, but still work them really hard.

[Comment From Darren Ash: ]
Hi Matt, is RFC looking for athletes or footballers with skills now?

Primary focus is to recruit skillful footballers, and then we develop their conditioning over their first 3-4 years.

[Comment From Kev: ]
Matt as things stand at the moment will we have anyone who wont be ready come round 1?

Not at this stage, fingers crossed.

[Comment From Jess: ]
Hello Matt, I noticed the heights and weights have been updated just in time for the chat. Plenty of players dropping some weight it's obvious we are looking at becoming more of a running side. A great upside is Troy Taloy reaching 192cm and bulking up to 83kg. That's as good as key position height with a leap like his. Vickery, Moore and Astbury have also bulked up.

We've got some players who need to continually impressing in size and strength, and we have other players who need to make sure they dont get heavier, eg Martin, Cotchin, Tuck.

are you able to tell me how Luke Mcguane is travelling , i noticed he has put on a bit of weight

Luke is holding his weight above 90 kilograms (drafted at 77kg's and never been aboev 90)

[Comment From JP: ]
Hi Matt, thanks for coming on for this! How is Ben Griffiths going now? He looks important to our chances ...

Ben is involved in all non-contact training, we will be progressing contact through Jan with the aim of being unrestricted in Feb

[Comment From brett: ]
there seems to be alot of players in the rehab group! this is a worry

We individualise programs as much as possible, the majority of the playing group will be available for selection Nab Cup round 1, so it may appear that there are more in rehab than there actually is.

[Comment From Richo: ]
Has Mitch Morton improved his fitness enough to play throuhg the midfield this year? What sort of work has he been doing?

Its a continual focus for Mitch, but working on high intensity repeat speed efforts

[Comment From Rusty: ]
Matt, solely based on conditioning and performance over pre season, who do you expect to be our most improved player in 2011?

I think from pre-season Patty Contin is the the guy who has made the biggest change to his body composition and running capacity.

[Comment From Paul: ]
Was there any particular reason Cotchin didnt run the Tan trial earlier this week?

He did complete a time trial on grass at Punt Road Oval, with a group of players we keep off hard surfaces

[Comment From Darren Ash: ]
How is Troy Taylor travelling, is he settled?

Judging by his training, he seems to be in a good frame of mind at the moment

How long will it take a guy like Ty Vickery to be at his physical 'peak'?

Most elite athletes will require 6-8 years in an elite system to reach their peak, Ty's strength has really improved this summer but it will be a continual focus over the next couple of years

[Comment From Jon: ]
How's David Astbury coming along?

He's really improved his strength and size, with the ambition of becoming a KPP

[Comment From Kristian: ]
How much weight exactly has Luke McGuane put on? Will this affect one of his major assets, his speed?

The weight that he has put on since being drafted has been very gradual, to insure that we keep his speed and overall running capacity at elite levels

[Comment From Tim: ]
Hi Matt just wondering what did Ben Cousins do to get his shoulders so huge! I notice Deledio is looking massive this off season, what are these guys doing for there shoulders? Can you give us some details on the basic preseason weights program like is it a split body part routine how many days a week etc?

They're in the gym sessions 4-5 times per week, with a focus on functional movements that cover all major body parts

[Comment From Kevin: ]
Matt, why did Dimma state in his presser that is was good that Jack has lost 3kgs so that he can push further up the ground?

Jack's still improving his strength, but needs to be mobile as a key forward so running capacity is still an important aspect for Jack

[Comment From Simon: ]
I appreciate this test is a little redundant now, but who has the biggest bench press max and what is it?

Angus Graham, 155kg's

I noticed Brent Stanton had a 16.2 beep test, which of our players do best at this test and what are the scores?

We don't use the beep, we use tan time trial and v02 max test for endurance measures

[Comment From Paul: ]
Matt, we have seen players like Delidio attract a heavy midfield tag in year 2 an beyond of his career, what additional work has Dustin martin done or what aspects of his fitness has he worked on to build the engine required to shake a tag?

Keep a close eye on his body weight, to ensure he doesnt get too heavy. And continually work on his repeat speed endurance, Dustin also has a lot of body on body training within his running sessions to adapt to midfield requirements

[Comment From Tom: ]
Hi Matt, How far off physically are we from being able to compete with the top clubs in the year? A year, 2-3? Also is Foley cabale of getting back to his pre injury physical peak?

When the majority of our group is between 4-8 years "training age" we will see significant improvements physically. But we're also fortunate we have a very athletic list. Yes Foley is capable.

What is the plan for Vickery? Is he going to be a ruckman or a forward? What's been his focus this pre-season?

Ty has been training more with the forwards, but also spends time with ruck coach Brendan Lade

[Comment From Kevin: ]
Matt, how is Conca's ankle going and when will he be joining the main group?

Reece is extremely dilligent and will be joninig the main group next week

[Comment From Sam: ]
Hi Matt. How long have you been involved in the fitness program at Richmond? And what are the main changes you have seen to the structure of a pre season program over your experience? ie. weights/running/testing/player management

I've been involved with Richmond for 10 years and the changes have been significant. The attitude and compliance of the group has taken our training to another level of professionalism and the individualising of programs and monitoring of players have been two major changes.

Do you have a constant battle managing workloads with coaching staff regarding football training and fitness specific training?

Very fortunate to have coaches that are understanding of what's required to keep a healthy list.

Matt I noticed that 6 of our players posted pbs around the tan, then yesterday the herald sun stated that Essendon has 16 players had pbs for fitness tests. How have our guys been going in the beep tests etc?

We're constantly achieving PB's in all parametres of testing, largely because its such a young group that have enormous upside for physical development.

[Comment From trivium: ]
How is Tom Derickx's endurance, he has good mobility for his size, does he also possess good endurance for a ruckman

Tom's endurance is solid, and will continue to improve

[Comment From Kev: ]
Matt how do you rate the fitness of the new recruits? We were spoilt last year with Dusty, do you think any of the new kids have the engine to play 12+ games this year

Reece Conca and Jake Bachelor seem to be good natural athletes

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 03:32:30 PM »
cont.   

Luke seems to have put on 1kg, it was reported it was 5-6kg. Is there a goal weight for him? Possible 93kg. I'm also wondering if Troy Taylor could possible develop into a key position forward being 192cm and possible growing taller. His vertical leap would allow him to play taller than 192cm also

Luke will play at low to mid 90's and posseses excellent strength that helps him play on bigger bodied opponents

[Comment From Dash: ]
Matt, are RFC players doing power and strength gym work similar to Collingwood? Inner core work.

We do a lot of core/stability work, but also a big focus on strength and power

What was Matt White's time around the tan...? Did he run below 13 mins?

Whitey ran 13m12s but his PB is sub 13 minutes

[Comment From JP: ]
How is my Jake going? We all love watching the Push-up King!

Jake is training with his usual high intensity

[Comment From Con: ]
What is Jack losing weight Matt? I thought if he was playing KPP you guys would want him gaining some weight and strength?

Jack is continually improving his strength, we dont have a focus for him to lose weight but the weight that he gains must be functional (muscle mass)

[Comment From michael: ]
how do think miller is going to fit in and does he have a role to play in the seniors

His leadership is outstanding purely from the way that he trains and prepares

[Comment From Dimma: ]
Why do our big men seem to take longer to come on then other clubs?

There are very few big men in the competition that have a major impact in their first 2-3 years

[Comment From eastlavy: ]
Has Deledio's preparation been focused on a continuation of his role from last year or a transition to a more running midfield type role?

Brett's an outstanding all round athlete who is suited to play in any position

[Comment From Callam: ]
How is Jeremey Webberly going with bulking up?

Jeremy has really improved his strength

[Comment From Matthew: ]
How is Dustin Martin coming along? heard he come back a bit out of shape

Dustin is in excellent shape at the moment, and is regularly doing extra boxing sessions to improve his fitness

[Comment From Tom: ]
Going off Tucky's pretty unique heritage, do you think he'll be able to stay in the AFL well into his 30s, or do you think the game has changed too much since his old man was playing?

The game has certainly changed, but you're right Tucky is certainly unique

[Comment From brett: ]
hey matt, will griffo's shoulders stand the test of time?????

Terry Condon (rehab coach) and Adam Douglas (strength coach) are spending significant amount of time with Griff to give him the best chance of giving him durability with his body

[Comment From eastlavy: ]
What has most impressed you about the new recruits to the club?

Their desire to learn and improve

[Comment From robbo: ]
has edwards put on any weight?

He had shoulder surgery post season and has really made some signficant gains with strength in Dec/Jan

how's the weights coach going, is he getting some good results?

Adam Douglas is full time in the gym and has been excellent with his program design and the intensity that he demands with-in sessions

[Comment From Aaron: ]
any improvement in robin nahas this summer?

Yeah Robin has been one of the biggest improvers through this pre-season, his consistancy of training intensity has been excellent

[Comment From Phil: ]
What are some of the best v02 max results?

Mid 60s for a number of our midfielders

matt how much does brett deledio bench press?

145kg's

I note Matt White is the best endurance athlete, but who is the best repeat sprinter with in the group?

It would be Deledio, White, Jackson, Newman

One thing that I'd like to see at training is players using their opposite boot regularly. At afl level it's vital all players feel comfortable on their opposite boot enough to use it under a bit of pressure. Players such as Foley, Mcguane, Newman, Moore have never been seen to use this side of their body. I know it's not about fitness, but it's something the club must work on imo

The coaches are constantly developing skills on both sides of the players body on a daily basis

Matt with our new facilities about to come online, how do you see these facilities improving our players performance? Is there new peices of equipment coming in that we simply didnt have previously or?

We'll have a complete new fit out, and expect to have the best recovery facilities in the league. The players are really excited about this and will add another level of professionalism

[Comment From ryan: ]
will foley play in round 1 matt

That's our aim, and at this stage he is tracking well

Who is the most committed to getting the most out of thier ability in your eyes?

We have an excellent leadership group, that make my job a lot easier when trying to educate a young group. Newman leads the way with his commitment.

[Comment From Willow: ]
Hi Mat, Do you think the 3 interchange system implemented this year has changed the way the Tigers have been training and if so how?

The game regardless of 4 interchange or 3 still demands significantly high levels of endurance and speed endurance, and this has been a major focus for us to allow guys to sustain their intesity across 120 minutes

[Comment From dean: ]
out of the the new draftees who do you think has a realistic chance of lining up round 1?

I'd leave that to the match committee

Matt in other sports like the NBA Phoniex have star players like Grant Hill and Steve Nash almost in there 40's playing almost as a career best/ridiculously good level, same could be said for some of AC Milan's players in soccer, do you think at some point in the future we will see AFL players careers be extended to such ages and levels or is our sport just too brutal on the body?

The physical demanding nature of our game, with regular high collisions makes it difficult for players to continue beyond their early to mid 30's

Offline Fruity Morgan

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 07:59:04 PM »
LMAO @ the McGuane propaganda  :bow

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »
good reporting

good to hear about Axel and most of the newbies.

No surprise that Edwards will be playing that skinny half back/forward whatever he is again in 2011

All in all its good not to hear that "Tambling has been training the house down"
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.