Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 748239 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #5580 on: October 06, 2021, 08:55:30 AM »
65 so let me understand this correctly. This is a probe, so innocent until proven yada yada yada, and if it was in NSW what would have happened?

Furthermore, the CEO of ibac is a former staffer with the andrews government. Ditto Worksafe. Trust me i'm trying to make things up about your esteemed leader but i really dont have to. I hope one day there is a royal commission into last years events, but that will never happen as the hapless opposition will never be in power.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/secret-report-probe-corruption-financial-misconduct-in-mfb-as-ibac-looks-into-andrews/news-story/e6b71aa1e790a221402f2c7c68ef10d7
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5581 on: October 06, 2021, 09:05:16 AM »
Royal commission into a lot of things.

Why wasn't there a national quarantine setup on Christmas Island at a federal level?

Failing that, why we're all states not required to accept their own populations back for quarantine?

Why were the federally managed nursing homes hung out to dry.

List goes on. I just hope that pollies in power learn from their mistakes and make better decisions moving forward. We live in extraordinary times at the moment.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5583 on: October 06, 2021, 10:19:27 AM »
Trust me i'm trying to make things up about your esteemed leader but i really dont have to.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/secret-report-probe-corruption-financial-misconduct-in-mfb-as-ibac-looks-into-andrews/news-story/e6b71aa1e790a221402f2c7c68ef10d7

Did you really mean to say this?

Trust me i'm trying to make things up about your esteemed leader but i really dont have to.

Did you really mean to say this?

perhaps not the right wording, but is that your reply?

also can you respond to what has scomo or gladys done illegally?

I think its fair to say both sides have a lot to answer for, and the independants with their side deals are no better.

Dan8el Andrews has been the worst Premier Victoria has ever had. He has imprisoned his whole state population longer than anywhere else in the world. He has imposed disgraceful curfews and laws. He is responsible for the loss if thousands of jobs and business closures. He can get stuffed for all I care.

Putting it nicely ramps.

And yet Andrews survives and Gladys has resigned. If she was innocent surely she would have stayed on as Premier.

maybe, maybe not. Do you actually understand why she made the call to leave, which may be for the reason you suggested, though it may be for the other one.

look it up

edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 12:22:34 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5584 on: October 06, 2021, 11:00:47 AM »

maybe, maybe not. Do you actually understand why she made the call to leave, which may be for the reason you suggested, though it may be for the other one.

look it up

Do tell

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5585 on: October 06, 2021, 11:01:38 PM »
They stand down when investigated, irrespective of the guilty status . Nsw that is.

ICAC v IBAC

ICAC is seen to have more power than Victoria’s IBAC. The ICAC can make specific findings for an offence of “corrupt conduct”, while the IBAC can investigate only once it has reasonable suspicion of misconduct. ICAC’s public hearings are more frequent.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5586 on: October 07, 2021, 11:08:13 AM »
this is the article that appeared in yesterday's Age (and other Ch9/Fairfax papers) re Andrews & IBAC that started the media frenzy

Speaking to my legal friend about it last night they said to me it is interesting that the Age has chosen their words very carefully around Andrews, using terms like "examining, scrutinising, strands of investigation". Even devoting an entire paragraph to say this is totally different to what happened to Gladys. I did ask if there was a reason they'd do that and the answer was yes, all legalities around false accusations etc..

Anyways don't shot the messenger, thought it was only fair to post the actual article
===============================================================================================
IBAC scrutiny on Andrews over firefighters’ union deal
By Nick McKenzie, Sumeyya Ilanbey and Paul Sakkal

October 6, 2021 — 4.00am

Victoria’s anti-corruption body has been examining the conduct of Premier Daniel Andrews and a senior public servant over their role in controversial deals that benefited the firefighters’ union and its boss, Peter Marshall.

While it has been known since 2019 that the Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission (IBAC) has been investigating dealings involving the United Firefighters Union (UFU), the fact that its investigators have been scrutinising the Premier’s conduct has not before been confirmed.

Sources with knowledge of the investigation who are not authorised to comment publicly have confirmed that one aspect of the IBAC investigation involved scrutiny of the Premier’s actions.

The commission has also questioned whether Mr Andrews was transparent in advising the Victorian public or his cabinet or caucus colleagues about his interventions in dealings with the UFU.

The commission refused to comment on its investigation and Mr Andrews on Tuesday repeatedly declined to comment on whether he was aware IBAC was investigating his dealings with the firefighters’ union.

“I will direct you to IBAC if you want to ask them questions about what they’re doing and not doing,” Mr Andrews said. In July 2019, Mr Andrews said the IBAC probe into the union’s activities “doesn’t involve me”.

Interactions between the Andrews government and the union were controversial between 2014 and 2019 as the firefighters’ union leader, Peter Marshall, sought ultimately successfully to influence an industrial deal and a reform package involving Victoria’s fire services to favour his union and its members.

Sources have confirmed the commission has been investigating the activities of Mr Marshall and senior public servant Tony Bates. Mr Bates worked in the Department of Premier and Cabinet and was assigned the task of dealing with Mr Marshall and the union’s demands.

How the deadlock was broken by the Premier, Mr Bates and Mr Marshall, and whether it involved any improper conduct, is one of the strands of the IBAC investigation.

The Age has also confirmed that in addition to interviewing former and serving Labor MPs and staffers about the deal, IBAC investigators have seized mobile phones, laptops and dozens of USBs belonging to the UFU or its secretary, Mr Marshall. Among those interviewed this year by IBAC are former members of the Premier’s inner circle.

Mr Andrews said on Tuesday that, “in my experience and in my judgment” Mr Bates had always acted with integrity in his interactions with Mr Marshall and the union.

“That’s not a matter for me to determine,” he said. “I’ve been very clear over all my time in public life that integrity agencies should have the full support of the government and every member of it.” In certain circumstances, it may be an offence for a person to comment on IBAC’s activities.

Mr Bates, a deputy secretary in the Education Department, declined to comment when contacted by The Age. Mr Marshall did not respond to repeated messages.

Two former members of Mr Andrews’ inner circle said there was nothing to suggest the Premier had acted inappropriately and queried whether IBAC had a place scrutinising political and industrial negotiations. Some serving members of Mr Andrews’ cabinet who spoke to The Age this week said lack of transparency about the Premier and Mr Bates’ dealings with the UFU raised probity issues, but others were dismissive of suggestions that any such dealings had reached the level justifying an adverse finding by IBAC.

A second investigative strand of the IBAC inquiry involves dealings between Mr Marshall and Animal Justice Party MP Andy Meddick, whose vote helped pass the union-backed fire services reform legislation after his child was given a two-week paid placement at the UFU.

When asked last year if the Premier had knowledge of Mr Meddick’s child getting a short-term job at the union, a government spokesman said: “None whatsoever.” Mr Meddick last year told The Age he had voted on the fire services reform based on “my values, party policy, my trade union background and consultation with many firefighters across the state”. Mr Meddick also said the job had been awarded to his child on her merits.

He said he had declared his position on the bill to Mr Marshall “well before” it was debated in Parliament and to the government soon after he was elected in 2018.

The Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission has extraordinary powers of investigation, but under commissioner Robert Redlich has generally adopted a cautious approach in publicly airing details of its investigations.

This is especially so given the grey area that can surround government deal-making with unions and conduct that does not involve explicit “brown paper bag” corruption, but rather issues of public trust and use of official power. In the case of the UFU’s dealings with the Andrews government, the issues under investigation involve questions around the appropriate use of political power and the transparency of closed-doors negotiations held to strike a deal that may have benefited the UFU and Labor but at a cost that may have been ultimately borne by the taxpayer.

In contrast to the corruption commission inquiry that led to the resignation on Friday of former NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian, there is no suggestion that Mr Andrews has not disclosed a personal interest. Unlike the case of the former NSW Premier, IBAC has given no indication it intends to hold public hearings or spelled out that it is probing adverse allegations involving Mr Andrews.

The IBAC investigation into the UFU’s dealings commenced in mid-2019 and it has been stalled on multiple occasions by legal challenges, the nature of which are suppressed.

“As a matter of practice, IBAC does not comment on whether it has a complaint or investigation before it,” an agency spokesperson said this week.

It has previously been reported in media outlets that Mr Marshall claimed that Mr Andrews had made pre-election commitments to the UFU that may not have been disclosed publicly. Mr Marshall insisted that Mr Andrews needed to honour these commitments.

Among the outcomes of the dealings between the UFU and the Andrews government was the fire services reform bill. The bill passed Parliament in 2019 after 4½ years, and claimed the scalps of one minister, Jane Garrett, and two fire chiefs, Lucinda Nolan and Joe Buffone.

The Andrews government also sacked the entire Country Fire Authority (CFA) board in 2016 at the height of tensions.

The legislation enabled the CFA’s 1220 brigades to become volunteer-only and stations with career firefighters to merge with the Metropolitan Fire Brigade, to become known as Fire Rescue Victoria. The move was seen by volunteer firefighters and the Victorian opposition as a union power grab.

Little information about the IBAC investigation, apart from the fact it is ongoing, has been made public since it commenced in early 2019. Over several weeks, The Age has pieced together the most complete picture of the IBAC inquiry.

The anti-corruption agency can only move an investigation from preliminary phase to a full-blown probe if it believes the allegations it has received about misconduct are not frivolous or vexatious and involve the dishonest use of power.

It has jurisdiction over those members of the UFU who are employees of the state fire services body, which makes them public servants. Members of Parliament are also subject to IBAC’s jurisdiction.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/victoria/ibac-scrutiny-on-andrews-over-firefighters-union-deal-20211005-p58xhm.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5587 on: October 07, 2021, 06:34:00 PM »
And on another politics issue (sort of)

Mark Stevens who quit his Chief Football Reporter gig at Ch7 to take up a role as head of media for the State Opposition Leader (Michael O'Brien) has after just 3 months quit that gig to go back to being a journo.

:help

:lol
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5588 on: October 08, 2021, 10:46:44 PM »
Dan8el Andrews has been the worst Premier Victoria has ever had. He has imprisoned his whole state population longer than anywhere else in the world. He has imposed disgraceful curfews and laws. He is responsible for the loss if thousands of jobs and business closures. He can get stuffed for all I care.

Yes we know your opinion of him but is there any sign of corruption?

can you explain if gladys or scomo is corrupt.

Yes or No.

You seem to have all the answers. When scomo went to hawaiii it was like he committed murder in your book.

Andrews presided over a department that is being investigated for 80 breaches from worksafe, run by a CEO who is a former staffer from the bracks and brumby governments. Let that sink in.

Has presided over a state which is now the worlds worst lockdown state.

A wife who was not breath tested whilst running over a boy. Didnt he promise 4000 beds and lie about it the other day. Could be wrong as i dont listen to him like 65 does.

company part owned by a former ALP Vice President, and daughter who works for andrews offered a 70 million dollar contract to conduct security training without due process- all good nothing to see here

Countless lies, that if they operated under the same ethos as NSW libs he would have handed in his resignation.

Putting it nicely ramps.

still waiting 65?

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5589 on: October 25, 2021, 09:17:58 AM »

Well, we will see what ICAC does with Gladys. And as for Morrison do you ever wonder why we haven't got a Federal corruption commission?

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5590 on: October 25, 2021, 09:25:14 AM »

Latest Newspoll has Labor on 54% to the Coalition 46%.

So I'm guessing no early election.

Still expect Morrison to retire early especially if he looks like losing.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5591 on: October 25, 2021, 07:04:33 PM »
 A bit quiet in here tonight.  :lol

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5592 on: October 25, 2021, 08:14:27 PM »
I'm too flat to care these days 65

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5593 on: October 31, 2021, 04:31:41 PM »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5594 on: November 12, 2021, 06:37:05 AM »
Police were prevented from arresting Labor MPs over ‘red shirts’ rort:

Detectives in Victoria Police’s fraud squad urged force command to consider arresting and prosecuting up to 16 Andrews government MPs over the “red shirts” rorting affair, according to highly sensitive internal police briefings, but their plan was knocked back by senior officers.

The secret police files from late 2018, the contents of which have been confirmed by three whistleblowers, reveal that detectives were directed by high-ranking officers to make sure that 16 named members of Parliament “not be arrested, photographed, searched if they are interviewed”.

If someone can post the rest of the article that would be good, though I’m sure it says enough.

Perhaps it was the same officers who refused to breath test “someone” after running over a kid on a bike 🚴  :shh

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/police-were-prevented-from-arresting-labor-mps-over-red-shirts-rort-documents-20211111-p5984j.html