Author Topic: Our poor first quarters  (Read 6492 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Our poor first quarters
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:21:28 PM »
Our starts been a problem in previous years but this year we've pretty much been pumped in all our first quarters and had to play catch up. Something else Dimma and the coaching staff need to address as it can't be blamed on fatigue.

Carlton:     2.8 (10 shots) to 3.0 (3 shots)
St Kilda:    4.6 (10 shots) to 2.4 (6 shots)
Hawthorn: 7.1 (8 shots)   to 1.3 (4 shots)

2011 Quarter Stats
Quarter     W     D      L           For        Against           %
1st            0      0      3        6.7 (43)  13.15 (93)      46.24  :P
2nd           1      0      2      12.5 (77)  14.11 (95)      81.05
3rd            1      0      2      9.11 (65)   4.11 (35)     185.71
4th            0      0      3      6.10 (46)  13.13 (91)      50.55
Total          2      0    10    33.33 (231) 44.50 (314)    73.57

http://finalsiren.com/Fixture.asp?TeamID=8

Dubstep Dookie

Re: Our poor first quarters
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:26:33 AM »
Yep big problem.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:49:45 AM »
One of these :P for our final quarters too.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:05:51 AM »
... as it can't be blamed on fatigue.

Think you can put it down to lack of experience.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 01:01:58 PM »
fair observation about our starts. As a young side we have to work hard on getting four quarter efforts. We were lucky we weren't blown away by Carlton in first quarter. We were blown away in the first quater by Hawks and will be by the magpies if we don't improve in that area.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »
I have been saying this for ages, we are not turned on from the first bounce. We have wlaways had this problem and it must be rectified. We play catch up footy all the time.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 01:24:15 AM »
Add another one to the poor first quarter list: 2.2 (4 shots) to 8.6 (14 shots)  :-\

Dimma said after the game that we gave away 8 frees to 2 in the first quarter from simple holding on frees and the Pies got 3 goals directly from free kicks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:12:14 AM by one-eyed »

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 04:21:21 AM »
No, I am just not going there, as I said I have for the past 2 years we love playing catch up.... :banghead :banghead :banghead
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 06:14:50 AM »
It appears we need a quarter or so to settle and realise what the opposition are doing before we get into the game  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 09:49:44 AM »
Agree with comment our last quarters are not flash either.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »
Add another one to the poor first quarter list: 2.2 (4 shots) to 8.6 (14 shots)  :-\

Dimma said after the game that we gave away 8 frees to 2 in the first quarter from simple holding on frees and the Pies got 3 goals directly from free kicks.

You didnt say it but I thought the Umpires helped put us out of it then first 20 min. Sure our trunovers were them main problem but some of those frees they got and some we didnt made it very hard to get into the game. Thing is I have seen this in every Collingwood game this year and it very disturbing.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 10:59:57 AM »
You didnt say it but I thought the Umpires helped put us out of it then first 20 min. Sure our trunovers were them main problem but some of those frees they got and some we didnt made it very hard to get into the game. Thing is I have seen this in every Collingwood game this year and it very disturbing.

I agree.

Blaming the umpire is like banging your head against a brick wall. The minute you start doing it you lose credibility in the eyes of other football followers.

Even so, both you and I know they were very bad and cost us a lot, particularly early on in the game when we were trying to get into it. A young team has enough doubts and fears without needing the umpiring contributing to their worries.

Unfortunately nothing will be done so we have to be content in the knowledge that we know it's not purely sour grapes.

I think it is proved that you need to be a top team with a top reputation to get a good run with the umpires. We just have to claw our way to the top. The best we can hope for is a fair run but it happens very rarely. I don't mind poor umpiring as long as it's consistent for both teams. I suppose that would make it good umpiring.  :rollin

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 11:11:47 AM »

I agree.

Blaming the umpire is like banging your head against a brick wall. The minute you start doing it you lose credibility in the eyes of other football followers.

Even so, both you and I know they were very bad and cost us a lot, particularly early on in the game when we were trying to get into it. A young team has enough doubts and fears without needing the umpiring contributing to their worries.

Unfortunately nothing will be done so we have to be content in the knowledge that we know it's not purely sour grapes.

I think it is proved that you need to be a top team with a top reputation to get a good run with the umpires. We just have to claw our way to the top. The best we can hope for is a fair run but it happens very rarely. I don't mind poor umpiring as long as it's consistent for both teams. I suppose that would make it good umpiring.  :rollin

Always happens to a side at the lower end of the ladder against a side at the upper echelon when it comes to free kicks and 50/50. SUre we tried hard and lacked the polish and what not of the PIes but let the gsame run its natural course and not further influence it with decisions that get paid one way and get ignored the other.

Maybe we should start our warm up a little later and stay out a little longer. :-\

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »
Agree with comment our last quarters are not flash either.

At least there is a reasonable excuse for those Elim - young legs and no stamina - and that will change with time.  The poor first quarters however...............

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »

I agree.

Agree also.  It's embarrassingly obvious whenever you watch a game that the low ranked side has a battle getting a break-even deal from the maggots.  And I don't buy into the crap that the top sides are prone to get more frees because they play in front and are thus more likely to get free kicks.  The inconsistency almost always reflects ladder position and it seems to be the case now more than ever.