Author Topic: AFL to rethink TV deal  (Read 7597 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL to rethink TV deal
« on: February 05, 2005, 04:29:46 PM »
AFL to rethink TV deal
05 February 2005   
Herald Sun
Jim Wilson

THE battle for control of TV rights in football beyond the end of next season has intensified with two of the AFL's senior management team flying to the US for talks with sporting and television executives.

Ben Buckley, general manager of broadcasting and major projects, and commercial operations boss Gil McLachlan will attend Monday morning's NFL Super Bowl but it's a series of meetings over the next few days that will go a long way to helping the AFL in its strategy for negotiations in coming months.

"This is a major fact-finding mission and will revolve around the biggest day on the American football calendar," AFL chief Andrew Demetriou said.

But it's more than that with Demetriou keen to see how American football and its army of fans cope with having the sport split among four television networks.

Fox Sports, ESPN, ABC and CBS all have a slice of the NFL pie and there's no doubt the AFL is looking at how that dynamic works and whether it's viable to contemplate football across three free-to-air networks and a pay-TV outfit.

Sources, though, have indicated that while the league wants as much money from this next round of rights, which should be finalised by the end of this season, coverage on Seven, Nine, Ten and Fox Footy may be simply too much.

Like American football, where the NBC network is a non-rights holder, it's considered attractive to have a non-rights holder "on ice" to push up the asking price next time around.

In this market, Channel 7 fills that role and will have first and last bid come crunch time. It's no surprise the network invited Demetriou and Buckley to its private box for last Sunday night's Australian Open final.

Seven slashed its coverage of golf and the Athens Olympics last year hoping to get as much cash in the coffers for a full-scale assault on regaining the jewel in the crown.

Nine has turned Friday night football into the best coverage across the board but its problem is rugby league and not being able to show AFL at a reasonable time in the crucial Sydney and Brisbane markets.

This time around the AFL wants the game on in those markets much earlier, and Nine must find a solution.

Ten and Fox Footy, who will also want a better deal, complete the fascinating picture.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12149231%255E20322,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: AFL to rethink TV deal
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 04:41:07 PM »
Apart from Eddie commentating Collingwood games I don't really care which network(s) broadcasts the games. Both "sides" had/have their share of good and not-so-good commentators. The only thing i would like to see back is the showing of Vic teams (ie. Richmond) playing interstate instead of delayed telecasts of the match in Melbourne.

I'd bet this time around Kerry Packer will want some finals games for Ch. 9.

I also hope, getting on my soapbox about this again, this includes the Telstra run footy websites. The AFL sites are poor compared to other major sporting leagues. The bombers were the only club smart enough not to get involved in that deal and keep their own independently run site.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 07:06:40 PM »

I'd bet this time around Kerry Packer will want some finals games for Ch. 9.

I also hope, getting on my soapbox about this again, this includes the Telstra run footy websites. The AFL sites are poor compared to other major sporting leagues. The bombers were the only club smart enough not to get involved in that deal and keep their own independently run site.

Argh...one of my favourite topics - the Broadcasting Rights to the footy.

Channel 9 will not get the rights to any finals because of their long standing contract with Rugby League. Channel 9 cannot show finals into NSW or Qld because they are contracted to show the NRL finals - so with that in mind there is no way they can have any AFL finals. So so sad for big Kerry :lol

As for the web-sites - well not only were the Bombers smart in staying independant - they are reaping the benefits now with the $$ they make compared to everyone else with their association with Channel 7 (no less).

Which brings us to the reason the current agreement is flawed and the why the AFL should be ashamed of this current agreement. While they (the AFL) were so busy doing cart wheels around AFL house when they signed the last contract they forgot to read the fine print that Channel 9 could not show AFL footy on Friday nights in the developing markets. Anyone with half a brain would have known that at the time but the people of the AFL ignored it because of the $$$ signs in their eyes. That people in Wagga Wagga no longer get AFL on Firday night is a joke and the arrangement that allows Fox Footy to show it at 9.30pm is a greater joke because not everyone can afford PayTV - fact :banghead

Channel 9 have left AFL fans down by not showing games that they are allowed to show into live Melbourne on a Friday night (eg Port or Adelaide -v- whoever) because they wanted to show Burkes Backyard (who know what we will cop in 2005 :-\). They didn't show games live into Adelaide - choosing again Burkes Backyard - IMHO - that is not good enough.

Which brings me to the point MT makes about interstate games. That Channel 10 can show a game on a Saturday night from Telstra Dome on 30 minute delay and fans miss out on seeing their teams play interstate (again uunless they have PayTV) is unfair.

We were told that footy fans would be no worse off under this deal - clearly alot of people are and it is a joke. Thank goodness we only have 2 years of it to go. The onus is now on the AFL to get the next deal right - to do that they have get the firstly Friday nights right - give it back to those who hopefully they haven't lost and get the interstate coverage back into Victoria right.

What price do they put on goodwill I wonder :help

I could go on and on :thumbsup

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 07:09:07 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 11:28:57 PM »
That Channel 10 can show a game on a Saturday night from Telstra Dome on 30 minute delay and fans miss out on seeing their teams play interstate (again uunless they have PayTV) is unfair.

We were told that footy fans would be no worse off under this deal - clearly alot of people are and it is a joke.

tv ratings come ahead of fairness  :banghead

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 02:59:01 PM »
It's an absolute joke isn't it WP?

Sources, though, have indicated that while the league wants as much money from this next round of rights, which should be finalised by the end of this season, coverage on Seven, Nine, Ten and Fox Footy may be simply too much.

The AFL needs to be mindful that Networks look after their own interests, first and foremost.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that or that you’d expect anything different.

But from the point of view of doing what’s best for the game, the AFL needs to focus on exactly that, rather than going with a Network(s) purely based on the amount of money they are willing to hand over.

And one of the problems with how the game is and has been run is that the AFL and Clubs have made decisions based more on what will give them the most money.  And not necessarily on what is best for the long-term good of their Club and the game.

What’s the good of the AFL having more money than it knows what to do with if people in areas around Australia don’t have access to the game?  It might as well sell Broadcast rights to networks in outer space.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 04:03:25 PM »
Clinton Grybus on 3aw said foxtel will be getting an extra game (from 3 up to 4) when the new deal comes up. The early Sunday game (1pm) will be the one removed from free to air. Seemed fairly confident foxtel will still be the pay tv provider of footy as he claimed behind gate attendances foxtel inject the most money into the AFL. A caller rang up about the coverage (or lack of it) in the northern states. Looks like the deal may be that the night games live into the southern states via free to air will be telecasted live on pay tv into the northern states. Someone mentioned that when Ch 7 had the footy their old pay tv channel C7 use to do something similar (?).

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Well well.. The TV Rights just got interesting
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 04:54:32 PM »
Seven joins Ten in AFL bid
By Rachel Kleinman
March 16, 2005

Channel Seven is joining forces with Channel Ten to try to snatch the rights to screen AFL matches.

The two channels will team up to bid for TV rights when the AFL's existing $450 million deal with Channel Nine, Channel Ten and Foxtel expires at the end of the 2006 football season.

Seven holds the right to bid last for the next round of free-to-air broadcast rights - although not the pay TV rights.

A Channel Ten spokeswoman said: "We have an agreement with the Seven network to jointly bid for the next AFL rights.

"We will not be making any further comment."

http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/AFL/Seven-joins-Ten-in-AFL-bid/2005/03/16/1110913654315.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 05:06:18 PM »
Sheesh! That's a turn up. No more Eddie commentating Collingwood games :thumbsup.

I wonder if Nine and Ten are going their separate ways because Nine didn't have any finals in the current agreement. I'd presume Foxtel will still keep the pay-tv rights as I heard Clinton Grybis claim Foxtel pumps the second largest amount of $$$ into the AFL coffers.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Footy TV Rights Ambush/Heist
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 08:56:10 AM »

I wonder if Nine and Ten are going their separate ways because Nine didn't have any finals in the current agreement. I'd presume Foxtel will still keep the pay-tv rights as I heard Clinton Grybis claim Foxtel pumps the second largest amount of $$$ into the AFL coffers.

=========

You may be onto something as Caro  ;D reports:

Football TV rights ambush
By Caroline Wilson
Chief football writer
March 17, 2005

Channel Seven has stunned the football world with a bold bid to regain TV rights from 2007.

Channel Seven has made a bold pitch to regain a slice of the lucrative AFL television rights, forming an alliance with Channel Ten in a multimillion-dollar deal that threatens to sideline bitter rival Channel Nine.

Channel Ten shocked the Packer-owned Nine and pay TV group Foxtel, its partners in the current $450 million television rights deal, by announcing yesterday that it had broken ranks.

The corporate manoeuvre - designed to win the free-to-air rights from 2007 until 2011 - has also frustrated the AFL, which learned of the new partnership only two days ago.

The Seven-Ten alliance involves a deal for the broadcasters to annually alternate live coverage of the grand final - which neither network would push to televise at night - and the Brownlow Medal count.

Kerry Stokes' Channel Seven would take over Friday night football from Channel Nine and Ten would push for its long-held ambition to televise three Saturday games back to back. The remaining AFL finals would be carved up by the two networks.

AFL executives, who had been hoping to better the league's current broadcasting deal worth $450 million over five years - and were largely satisfied with their current media partnerships - seemed stunned by the move and particularly concerned at Ten's part in the deal. The new agreement looks to have limited Nine's bargaining position and shifted the power in the crucial multimillion-dollar negotiations, creating a buyers' market. The key facets of a new deal could be resolved as early as next month.

Although Nine could bid alone or join forces with Foxtel, the free-to-air network would also be curtailed by its Friday night and Sunday afternoon allegiance to rugby league in NSW and Queensland.

Seven and Ten - which this year will show AFL games for the first time in prime time in Brisbane on Saturday nights - are thought to have agreed to increase free-to-air football coverage in NSW and Queensland.

The Seven-Ten partnership is unusual also because the Seven Network is embroiled in a landmark legal battle with its new negotiating partner, scheduled to open in court on July 18. While Seven indicated yesterday it planned to go ahead with the case, media experts were tipping it could loom as an intriguing negotiating tool.

Seven is suing the AFL, the National Rugby League, Nine and Ten, Foxtel and the AFL's internet provider Telstra, accusing them of colluding in the lead-up to the last round of football broadcast rights.

Should the two networks win the rights, their carve-up scheme would also prove a fillip for free-to-air football fans. While the Fox Football network has indicated it would push for four of the AFL's eight weekly home-and-away fixtures, Seven and Ten want six games between them, with Seven's remaining two matches coming on Sunday.

Foxtel could be compensated by a better-quality game - currently it holds exclusive weekly rights to the nominal worst three games of each round - to be televised as a live twilight game each Sunday.

Neither Channel Nine sports chief Gary Fenton nor the network's face of football, Eddie McGuire, would comment on the bombshell public announcement yesterday, which came in the form of a carefully worded statement from Seven to the stock exchange.

Nine is believed to have fired off a series of angry letters to the rival networks questioning Seven's right to strike a deal with Ten.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou would communicate only by a public statement: "The AFL is confident of securing an outcome which benefits our 16 clubs and the supporters of our game and will be exploring all options for our future broadcasting arrangements."

The deal has come after months of negotiations between Channel Ten and the other free-to-air networks. It is believed that Ten chose to join forces with Seven, which pioneered TV football coverage, due to Seven's trump card in holding the right to bid both first and last for the football rights.

Seven paid $20 million in 1997 for the right to bid first and last over the following two rounds of media negotiations. It is thought that Ten relinquished its exclusive role as AFL finals broadcaster as part of the potential deal to be included in that last bid for the next rights round.

FOOTBALL'S GREAT TV HEIST

The deal between Seven and Ten for AFL television rights for five years from 2007

BACK IN THE GAME
CHANNEL SEVEN Once synonymous with football in Victoria, would regain the rights after five years on the sidelines.

THE DEAL MAKER
CHANNEL TEN Television's one-time minnow has negotiated itself into a position of strength, sharing last right of refusal for football rights. Football-led revival likely to continue.

OUT OF BOUNDS?
CHANNEL NINE Stands to lose football just when it is being challenged for supremacy in the ratings.

HOW IT WOULD WORK

GRAND FINAL To alternate between Seven and Ten. Other finals to be shared.

BROWNLOW MEDAL To alternate between Seven and Ten.

FRIDAY NIGHTS Channel Seven

SATURDAYS Channel Ten hoping to show three games, back-to-back. Foxtel to show one or two games.

SUNDAYS Channel Seven to televise two games, Foxtel one.

FREE-TO-AIR Could show six games per weekend, up from five.

FOXTEL Now shows three games per weekend. Wants four, but could end up with only two.

NIGHT GRAND FINAL Likely to fall off the agenda.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/03/16/1110913671291.html
TWILIGHT GAMES Could become regular part of fixture, possibly shown live on Foxtel on Sundays.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 08:58:42 AM by WilliamPowell »

froars

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 05:23:05 PM »
I will be delighted when 9 lose it.
I'm sick of their ego-driven commentators, who won't comment negatively on a certain team for fear of losing their jobs, but luv sinking the boot into us at every opportunity.
Trouble is, they'll end up at the other networks probably anyway.
Be good to hear what they say on the Footy Show tonight.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 03:33:40 AM »
I'm sick of their ego-driven commentators, who won't comment negatively on a certain team for fear of losing their jobs, but luv sinking the boot into us at every opportunity.
Trouble is, they'll end up at the other networks probably anyway.

Probably everyone except Eddie lol will cross to Ch 7. A number like Cometti came from there anyway so no big deal. It'll be good to hear Bruce call games again although I wasn't a fan of alot of Ch 7 commentators either when they had the rights - Sandy Roberts, Drew Morphett, Ian Robinson and Peter McKenna :P. Too old fashioned and stayed and never kept up with the times IMO to attract a younger audience to the game. Ch 9 would be fine if they got rid of Eddie's control over footy there. His biased commentary and pushing of his political agenda turns you off watching. He's done a fantastic job as president of the Pies but he shouldn't be commentating on footy as well. Glad Nine losing the rights will put an end to that. Some other clubs might finally get their share of Friday night games in the new deal  ::).

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 12:41:21 PM »
I didn't watch TFS - don't watch it and was too busy watching Lost and then the Amazing Race but have read excerts of what poor old Eddie had to say and put simply he has lost the plot. :help

I also heard him this morning on 3AW - raving on about the same things again - the competition is stuffed if 7 gets the rights back, they never looked after the game before blah, blah blah

Only got a couple of questions for Eddie Head.

1/ 1986 - where was our great saviour Channel 9 then?

2/ Where were Channel 9 in 1987 when the AFL went crawling back to 7 when the Broadcom deal fell on it's backside?

3/ What about all the other years before they got the rights? For decades they didn't bid - the only Channel that was interested was Seven.

Eddie needs to wake up and smell the coffee beans brewing in the machine.

To cry foul that Seven's been undehanded is the greatest insult of all.

All channel 7 has done is make a business decision that under an agreement which cost them $20million they are entitled to do.

$20 million to have the right to bid first and last - that's alot of $$$ from a group that's supposedly done nothing for footy in 40 years.

Coffee anyone  ???

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 03:52:04 PM »
Whichever network gets it they’re as bad as each other.

None of them have really done enough to prove that they are more interested in promoting the game, rather than their own network’s interests.

Not sure if there’s anything in it, but heard on 3AW the other night someone say that Ch7 might want to have games scheduled 5.00pm on a Sunday.

If that’s true then that sort of scheduling has nothing to do with looking after supporters and developing the game.  But has everything to do with ratings and doing what’s best for their network.

Hope those at the AFL know what they’re doing, otherwise 7 and 9, in particular, will continue to use their rights to bolster their own networks, rather than increase the profile of the game around Australia.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

froars

Stuffer Upperer
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 09:42:37 AM »
Talk on SEN this morning was that the AFL were "considering"? running their own channel and were not interested in talks about broadcasting rights at this stage of the game.  Can't see this happening, and can't report much on what was said, as it was just an aside remark.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Stuffer Upperer
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 11:26:30 AM »
Talk on SEN this morning was that the AFL were "considering"? running their own channel and were not interested in talks about broadcasting rights at this stage of the game.  Can't see this happening, and can't report much on what was said, as it was just an aside remark.

Yeah Gold104 reported on their news about the AFL starting its own PayTv Channel.

The Age (Caro) is reporting that the AFL are refusing to start negoiations with Seven because of the pending legal action.

Which makes me raise this question. I would think that the AFL have to deal with Seven whether they want to or not.

Why?

A little legal contact that gives the Seven network the first and last right to bid fo rthe next lot of free to air rights. If the AFL don't meet their obligations under that contract - you'd asume that the Seven Network would have the right to launch legal action - wouldn't they ???